Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rides unavailable at Thorpe Park today- Slammer, collosus,tidal wave,P
andy talocanham
post Mar 28 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,363

Hi all

Was planning on going to Thorpe Park this week and i have looked on the website, and saw that slammer, Tidal Wave, Pirates 4D (shame), Stealth and Collosus. What is happening at Thorpe Park at the moment? Since opening there have been so many problems. I am begining to think its not worth visiting.

Whats everyones else's opinion on Thorpe at the moment?

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Mar 28 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 866

Well firstly, Stealth was always going to be down for a couple of days for maintenance. Slammer will not be up for a long time by the looks of it.

Tidal wave is waiting for a chain replacement that was ordered in closed season but hasn't arrived yet. God only knows what has happened with Collosus and Pirates 4D.

I have to say I was really put off Thorpe after my visits on 15th and 18th March with many rides being closed. They have had all closed season to get problems sorted and it hasn't happened. Lost a lot of love for the place.

Not to mention the daily problems that Rush always has, Can't remember visiting and it being open for the whole day using both sides. It's poor nothing else to describe the state of the park.

For such a big year at Thorpe you would have thought they would be sorted, Stealth wont carry them forever and was the only saving grace of my trips.

This post has been edited by Graeme: Mar 28 2006, 10:53 AM

--------------------
Thank you for watching SanBrooke productions!

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Mar 28 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Yeah, i have to agree. I was aware that Stealth would be closed for a few days, but collosus and Slammer, i have been waiting to go on it since the end of last season.

What an unsuccessfull start though to 2006. Any ideas on the time it will take for tidal wave to be back up??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Mar 28 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #4

As soon as the chain arrives and it gets fitted, not sure if it has arrived yet or not.

I am really surprised that the press didn't pick up on the state of affairs as they were in the park on opening day for Stealth opening. Not a lover of thorpe at all at the moment, got quite a few peoples backs up on southparks too by expressing my views!

Edit to add: Tidal wave chain is now in the park and is being fitted.

This post has been edited by Graeme: Mar 28 2006, 11:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Mar 28 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Excellent, i love Tidal Wave and was annoyed about it not being open. So hopefully next few weeks Tidal Wave will be back. I dont think the press have noticed because all they really cared about is Stealth, and i dont think it would matter if the whole park was closed apart from Stealth, however, if it caries on, i am sure that it will be noticed.

I dont get why people on Southpark would be annoyed at you about it, its a fact that Thorpe has not been going well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Mar 28 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Technical
Member No.: 330

QUOTE (Graeme @ Mar 28 2006, 12:08 PM) *
As soon as the chain arrives and it gets fitted, not sure if it has arrived yet or not.

I am really surprised that the press didn't pick up on the state of affairs as they were in the park on opening day for Stealth opening. Not a lover of thorpe at all at the moment, got quite a few peoples backs up on southparks too by expressing my views!

Edit to add: Tidal wave chain is now in the park and is being fitted.

The chain arrived before that start of the season but none of Tidal's winter checks have yet been done so that is currently happening. Thorpe is always crap at the start of the season, I can speak from experiance as former ride opertor there, and they were breaking down all the time in the first few weeks.

Slammer won't be down for that long, just a bit of gaffa tape here, band aid there smile.gif

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Mar 28 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #7

I'm feel safer knowing you don't work at thorpe anymore, especially as one of the technical team! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Mar 28 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 1,120

I am so, so glad I haven't been planning a visit to TP lately. As has been said, this year should be a big year for Thorpe Parlk - but it sure hasn't begun that way! They seem to have been pumping all theiir efforts into the new ride and the rest has been left.

I know some rides were advertised on the website as being down, but that's irrelevant. A visit to Thorpe Park (i.e.) yesterday would have resulted in the loss of Slammer, Tidal Wave, Stealth, Colossus, Pirates 4D with X:/ and Vortex until the afternoon. That is 7 rides down for all or part of the day - many of which are major! It's all very well if you own an annual pass and live nearby, you could turn up again next week - but what if you had driven 2 hours, paid £25 and it had happened? Granted, they may have given out some return tickets but it's still a right shambles.

If that volume of rides closed at Alton Towers, that would be like operating without Rita (Stealth equivalent), Air (Colossus equivalent), Ripsaw (Slammer equivalent), Hex (Pirates 4D equivalent) and the Flume (Tidal Wave equivalent)! And closing, for example, Corkscrew until lunchtime (X:/ equivalent) and Submission too (Vortex equivalent)... JEES.

A right royal shambles for Thorpe Park. Definitely worse than Alton Towers start of season... The RMT and Flume not working at the start of the season is nothing compared to this!

Embarassing for the park - anyone who says otherwise... well, how could anyone disagree that it's poor?

This post has been edited by AstroDancer: Mar 28 2006, 1:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wez
post Mar 28 2006, 1:49 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 33

Slammer and Rush can be explained easily, S+S are total parp!

Collossus and Tidal Wave can be explained easily, poor maintenance and bad planning.

Stealth is closed due to silly project management and poor design. I cannot believe they built a ride that couldnt cope with British weather! Its beyond belief!

I would have thought Thorpe delayed their checks and maintenance program with other rides to ensure that Stealth opened on time. They are now trying to catch up with the rest of the park. It's that or they just planned to open their rides late.

I think this goes to show that parks cant cope with all year opening. They need time to refresh and do maintenance. Maybe the traditional April - November opening should be brought back?

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Mar 28 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Maybe the April - November season should be, if they don't have the time. But parks like Europa Park nr. Strasbourg operate an April - October and December-January opening. In the Winter season (Dec/Jan) they only operate the flat/kiddy rides plus EuroSat, EuroMir, Alpenexpress and Matterhorn Blitz coasters with Silver Star, Schweizer BobBahn, Poseidon and Atlantica closed along with the log flume and rapids. If this is manageable in South-West Germany where the weather is more variable than the south of England (35 in summer, -5 in winter with more snow etc.) then i'd have thought Thorpe could...?

Aaaah... thoughts of Europa Park in my head again :-D Bring on June!

This post has been edited by AstroDancer: Mar 28 2006, 4:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wez
post Mar 28 2006, 4:41 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 33

You are forgetting the one important factor. Europa is run by Germans with their legendary efficiency.
Towers is run by...Brits. Famous for poor transport systems, unclean streets and the local bobby. And we can't even get the local bobby right. wink.gif

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 28 2006, 7:39 PM
Post #12

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Thorpe is a shambles anyway. I got my "apology" letter today RE: the other saturday.

It was addressed to the wrong person, and was written as if I'd only complained about slammer being sh....ut.

Needless to say, I shall be writing back, Robin Cooper styleé.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Mar 28 2006, 8:09 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

Did you get any discount for next time? I was thinking of sending a compliant but it has been nearly two weeks now, a bit too late.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 28 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #14

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Nothing at all. Utterly shocking.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
Gem
post Mar 28 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 194

I am still patiently waiting the two weeks they said they would reply within.

If I've still received nothing by Friday, I'll write a proper rant about the shambles that was the 18th: calmly, reasonably, and patiently requesting a decent offer of compensation for the utter waste of hard-earned cash.

And if they reply with a poxy free ticket (which I have already pointed out is worthless to little Northern me), I will write another letter. And another. And another. Until they do something that I think shows a genuine wish to apologise.

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Mar 28 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #16

Well we pushed them and pushed them on the 15th March and got our entry fee refunded and free tickets. They did offer us Alton tickets so it may be worth pushing for them. I was gutted for you lot that came down on the Sat, I really was.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex M
post Mar 28 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 16

Feel free to post the letters and replies in this thread for comic purposes. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Alex M: Mar 28 2006, 8:51 PM

+Quote Post
Gem
post Mar 28 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 194

I'm afraid the complaint form I filled in was by hand, and I don't have a copy.

But any response received from Thorpe, and anything I send to them, I will happily reproduce here.

Just so the coaster enthusiasts can see a first-hand account of customer service, of course. As it happens, I am quite confident that the nice lady who took my comments will take into account all the points I raised, and I won't need to write back.

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Mar 28 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Good Lord.

All this sounds appalling. People go the park, loads of major rides are closed or broken for all or half the day, customer service is poor... Eek.

Apart from the introduction of Stealth, what an awful start of 2006 for Thorpe Park.

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Mar 29 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #20

To be honest, even if they were rushing to finish Stealth, the rest of the park SHOULD still be ready, i mean, that if you have a major ride being built, you still would focus on the rest. And the Thorpe Park maintance team only joined in the last few weeks from what i heard, so in my opinion its a shambles, a complete joke.

Also, while i am ranting on, Nemesis Inferno, only runnning one train?? ?Alton mostly run two on Nemesis most days that i have been there, even if they expect it to be quiete, so queue lines stay dead.

I cannot believe the start of thorpe has been this bad, i was going to go to Thorpe 2mmora, however, i have decided to drive 2 and a half hours to Alton instead.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 1:38 PM