Reply to this topicStart new topic
Oakwood, first visit, May 2009
Howie
post May 24 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,271

HmmÖ well, where to begin?
To be fair I wasnít expecting much. I know I know, itís quite popular among enthusiasts, I know itís got Megafobia and Speed and I know that itís all supposed to be very quaint and pretty etc but letís be honest, there isnít exactly loads to do at Oakwood. I mean, we didnít actually get there til about half past one but still managed to have the whole park done and dusted by 4pm!

First thingís first, the place is miles away. Seriously, no matter where you live, Oakwood is twice as far away as it looks on the map. Thatís why we didnít get there til 1.30pm! Luckily weíd made a weekend of it, you know, hotel by the seaside, fish and chips on the beach and all that but even so, I donít think thereís much else to do in the area so unless you do actually live in Pembrokeshire, Iím not sure Oakwood is worth the journey. Sorry, Oakwood fans!

Now then, Megafobia. WhatĎs the crack with this then? Iíve seen the reviews, I know a lot of you love it to bits, Iíve read about Andy Hine and his Coaster Club geeks sitting on the thing for hours on end chanting ďWood is good, wood is goodĒ, but seriously, WTF? Best Wooden Coaster in Europe?? Third best in the world?? Who decides these things?
Ok, itís not bad I suppose, itís quite a good laugh, a bit tame at the front, a bit rough at the back but on the whole decidedly mediocre. Stampida at Port Aventura is a much better ride (and probably quicker and easier to get to!). So is ĎRobin Hoodí at Walibi World. In fact, Iíd put Megafobia on a par with Blackpoolís Big Dipper.
Disappointing, sorry íFobia fans.

Speed, on the other hand, is a great little coaster - loved it! Obviously itís going to draw comparisons with Saw but thatís a little unfair really, apart from them both being Eurofighter coasters they are two very different rides indeed. For the record, I prefer Saw, but thatís because of the added elements of the dark ride section, the effects and all that cool theming. Speed is just a coaster. However, thereís absolutely no doubt that Speed is faster, more forceful and better paced than Thorpe Parkís newbie. The extra 20-odd foot on Speedís lift hill really makes a noticeable difference to the power of the ride - you can actually feel the first drop! Followed by that insane bunny hop and the overbanked turn leading into the loop, it adds up to quite an intense ride.
I should mention at this point how quiet the place was. For a sunny Saturday in May, the crowds were almost scarily none existent. It was more a case of the rides waiting around for people rather than the other way round. Speed was running one car all day and the longest wait we had was about 5 mins. When I went to Thorpe Park in March, Saw was operating 4 cars and the queue was still hitting 2 hours plus! Annoying, yes, but it does give you an idea of the kind of numbers that Thorpe Park have to cope with.

Surprise hit of the day was the Treetops coaster. How cool is that? I knew it went like, yíknowÖ through the trees but I had no idea how close! Nor how dense the woods are. Had 4 goes on it! If a similar concept could be achieved on a significantly larger scale I reckon it could make for something truly special (SW6 anyone?).

Hydro is quite good too, the steepness of the drop took me by surprise and it sure does get you very wet but I dunno, it doesnít quite have the character of Tidal Wave, and the splash just isnít as impressive. Not only that, it took aaaaages to load. Even though the queue was empty, only operating one boat meant a good 5 minute wait while the thing did itís circuit, and of course, the safety checks on this ride are extra rigorous these days for obvious reasons.

Not sure about the Bounce. Itís the only shot/drop tower that Iíve been on where you get shot and dropped - which is cool - trouble is, neither the shot nor the drop pack much of a punch and it isnít half a tired looking ride. A paint job wouldnít hurt.

Now, as a rule I donít normally do Ďadditional chargeí attractions. Iíve got my principles (or Iím just tight-arsed, you choose) but we were running out of things to do and we were both in a Ďsod-ití kinda mood so we shelled out for a flight on Vertigo. Wow, what a buzz! The thing about becoming a coaster-head is that it takes more and more extreme rides to actually get the nerves going. These days Iíd happily climb aboard any rollercoaster in the world without batting an eyelid but seriously, being winched up in that harness on Vertigo gave me the kind of fear I havenít felt since my first ride on Oblivion. Wicked! Well worth the money. Base jumping nextÖ

Not much else to say really. Bog standard Pirate Ship, yeah yeah. Some water slides, yadda yadda. Plane Crazy? Just plain, more like. We had a go on the little bobsleigh ride thing but only because it reminded me of the days when Alton Towers had a similar (but much more lethal) one. And that really is about it.
Quite a nice little park, emphasis on the little, but lots of potential, pleasant surroundings, some fun rides and at only 15 quid entry, comparatively good value. Canít comment on the food cosí we didnít have any - we werenít in there long enough to get hungry! Would this report be as positive if Oakwood was my local theme park? Probably not. Go to any theme park on a regular basis, even the best in the world and youíll start to notice more and more niggly faults each time and for that reason we wonít be going back to Oakwood any time soon.
According to some of the recent reports we didnít see the place at itís best but me and Mrs Howie still quite enjoyed it. Ok, thatís probably due to the fact that it was somewhere new, somewhere neither of us been to before, which is always exciting (we spent last season kicking the arse out of our Merlin passes and as a result, never actually got round to going anywhere different), not to mention 3 new coaster credits (103 now biggrin.gif ) but to be honest, itís going to take a major new attraction to draw us all the way back there again.

Worth a visit, but only once.
Sorry, Oakwwod fans.

This post has been edited by Howie: May 24 2009, 8:22 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dan
post May 24 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #2

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

Interesting read, cheers for that. I don't think I agree that Megafobia is 'mediocre', though enthusiasts probably do hype it up too much. The airtime you get sticks in my mind as its best part, but it can be rough on the first drop.

Speaking of rough, I must be a total wuss, because I seem to be the only person on the planet who finds Speed unbearably uncomfortable/painful, in particular during the barrel roll following the loop where my shoulders get smashed against the restraints. The first drop and airtime hill straight after are fantastic, but it just hurts from there on in for me. Couple that with Oakwood's lack-of-any-theming-whatsoever and the very short ride circuit (in my case that's probably a blessing), and I don't rate it at all.

I totally agree with you on Treetops Coaster though, it is really cool. We did an ERT on that in the dark a few years back and it was simply amazing - not that it isn't already in daylight.

And yeah, I would always pay extra for Vertigo, because I don't go to Oakwood that often so it's definitely worth it. I was nodding as I read your description of being winched up to the top, as the fear and adrenaline rush you get really is something else.

Anywho, ta again for the report! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post May 24 2009, 9:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 870

Hey Howie good report, the most of which I agree with. I disagree with you about Megafobia though, I find this a great wooden coaster, very re-rideable full of live all the way to the final brakes. Thats your opinion though, pity you didnt enjoy it.

I love Speed but I wish it had some theming. The whole area around it looks unfinished. Bounce, yeah agree with you again, its a fun ride but nothing scary or thrilling about it and it looks so tatty. Last year I went to the park 6-7 times and nearly every time it wobbled so much going up the trim brakes at the top activated and it stopped. Another time we had to be let down by emergency decent for some reason. That ride worry's me and dare I say it, this could be the next accident waiting to happen at Oakwood.

I think Oakwood's main problem is lack of any theming. Its a pretty little park and it has a LOT of potential in the right hands, but this year compared to last the place is a mess and its sad to see it this way. Its only an hour and a half from me so no big deal getting to it tho after my visit two weeks ago I am in no rush to go back again for a while. Whereas AT is more a walk around like crazy get sore feet and aching back by the end of the day to get everything in kinda place, Oakwood is a laid back, take it easy, have a picnic kinda place.

You said you didn't try the food. Well generally, the restaurant by Hydro is rubbish, main meals about £6 but they are not that good. The Burger place near the Pirate Ship (which also needs a good paint) is ok, with a burger costing £2. What were the staff like today? I have been there on occasions when they can be right grumpy bar stewards.

Oakwood needs a decent amount of investment put into it if it is going to stay afloat. You saying there was no queues yet again this weekend, for a bank holiday and given the weather worry's me even more that things are not looking good for Oakwood. It would be a shame to see the place close down, but I think if they don't pull their finger out soon, there may not be an Oakwood theme park next year sad.gif

Finally, I so wish they would get rid of the Voodoo Mansion, it was ok when it opened but is so rubbish now, hardly anything works and is as scary as watching Playbus. Ooh yeah the Treetops coaster is a good laugh, a bit rough on the back but still fun, I remember going to Oakwood when that was THE coaster!!!! lol. Good report though smile.gif

This post has been edited by garyholc: May 24 2009, 9:26 PM

+Quote Post
Howie
post May 24 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,271

I gotta be honest, it took me a fortnight to get round to writing this, we actually went on Sat May 9th! I hope for the park's sake that there are actually some queues this weekend, cos like you said I can't see it staying afloat on the kind of numbers present a couple of weeks ago. Which would be a real shame.

And now you mention it Dan, Speed's barrel roll did give the shoulders a bit of a bash! blush.gif

Staff were ok, pleasant enough. The guy on Speed looked well bored though and who could blame him, from what I could see the control panel consisted of a green button and a red button! I don't think it's a terribly complex ride. . . smile.gif
Isn't it customary for a ride op to check shoulder restraints these days? huh.gif

This post has been edited by Howie: May 24 2009, 11:49 PM

+Quote Post
garyholc
post May 25 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #5

Ahh yes speed, ever since it opened they dont check the restraints. I guess a red light would flash on the complex control panel to tell him if one wasnt locked! I wrote to complain to Oakwood 2 years back about Speed, as they were letting anyone on regardless of their height. I asked the girl why she was letting on kids who were obviously too small, her reply was that it was better than having the parents have a go at her! I got no reply to my letter - thats how serious Oakwood take safety even after the Hydro accident!!!

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post May 25 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17

Good report. Agree with you to some extent. Thing with Megafobia is that it used to be SO much better than it is now. I rode first in 1999 I think, and up to around 2004ish, it always was one of my fave rides. However, it got rougher and rougher and not as smooth as it was before, which (I don't know if this is actually true on an engineering level) affected its pacing. I don't know, the jolting from side to side seemed to impact on the actual pace of the train a bit. So yeh, it's definitely not been as good in recent seasons. That said, Megafobia was a highlight last time I visited - massive storm hit whilst we were on the ride, before clearing up soon after. This led to about an hour of repeat riding with no queue and due to the wet rails, the train was running that little bit faster. Great fun. Speed - as a ride - kicks Saw into submission. But yeh it's worrying to hear a lot of negative news coming from the park... as much as it pains me to say it, but I can imagine Oakwood struggling to stay open in the coming years.

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post
meames
post May 25 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11

I really do agree with you. Oakwood is a nice little park, only problem which is holding it back is that its so far away from anywhere like you say. I like the fact that its a really nice atmosphere all the time, and you can take things at a really slow pace.

I 1st visited in 2005 and I remember getting off Megafobia after reading all the good things about it and thinking is that it, there must be something else I have missed. I walked off the ride commenting to Vicky that its nowhere near as good as the Nash at Blackpool.

I returned for Speed when that opened, which for me made it worth the journey all the way there. Megafobia is an OK ride, and I loved Speed, and as you say Treetops is really really good fun.

I am going again on Sunday, and I must say I am looking forward to riding Megafobia and Speed again, and I would have loved to see something new at the park this year, if only a small flat ride.

As far as I see it, the park is heading very fast into another tradgedy which will in turn kill the park. The park really needs to pull its socks up in regards to safety. I am not implying that the rides and park is unsafe, but they need to be aware that they just cannot take rider safety for granted, people do silly things on rides, and ultimatly the park gets the blame.

I can only see the park going forward by turning itself into a resort, a caravan site, a water park, a golf course will all go to draw visitors from further afield and stay a couple of days, in turn securing the future of the park. Unfortunatly I really can't see that happening, especially since the takeover of the park.

Next week I am going to ride all 3 Euro Fighters: Speed; Saw and Rage, and I cannot wait to see which one I prefer.

This post has been edited by meames: May 25 2009, 10:48 PM

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jul 7 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (meames @ May 25 2009, 11:46 PM) *
Next week I am going to ride all 3 Euro Fighters: Speed; Saw and Rage, and I cannot wait to see which one I prefer.

Just digging this up from the past - but Meames which one did you prefer out of interest?

+Quote Post
meames
post Jul 7 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11

I prefered Speed out of all 3. It was the only one I came off thinking wow, the speed of the thing really gets me. Saw I just found uncomfortable and jerky and Rage was enjoyable but lacked something, don't know what though.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Jul 7 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 1,120

I haven't been on Speed, but I know for me the only problem with Rage is how short it is, however I enjoy the actual coaster on Rage more than I enjoy Saw because Saw is quite uncomfortable to ride. However, the experience on Saw is clearly leagues ahead of either Rage of Speed - both of which are themeless.

I generally don't rate the Eurofighter concept that much from the two that I have been on. They're OK - nothing more. However, I want to ride Mystery Mine and Fluch von Novgorod quite a lot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdrianE
post Aug 4 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,426

An old post but made me mad reading it. angry.gif

QUOTE (meames @ May 25 2009, 11:46 PM) *
As far as I see it, the park is heading very fast into another tradgedy which will in turn kill the park. The park really needs to pull its socks up in regards to safety. I am not implying that the rides and park is unsafe, but they need to be aware that they just cannot take rider safety for granted, people do silly things on rides, and ultimatly the park gets the blame.

I would avoid Oakwood at all costs especially if you have kids. I went a number of years ago and went on the wooden coaster. On the main up part after leaving the station i looked behind and found 2 young lads about 12years old, one had his main harness still in the upright position and they were not aware. I managed to get them to pull it down in time and nothing else happened. I wrote to the park and was basically called a liar and was told it was not possible for this to happen.

A little while later they had a death one of the water rides caused by "basic safety procedure was widely ignored by staff overseeing the ride", "CCTV footage revealed an average of 29.2% of more than 4,000 people who used the ride over the period were not safety checked". The judge even said "The potential of really serious injury to very large numbers of people was very considerable,".

QUOTE (garyholc @ May 25 2009, 2:20 AM) *
I wrote to complain to Oakwood 2 years back about Speed, as they were letting anyone on regardless of their height. I asked the girl why she was letting on kids who were obviously too small, her reply was that it was better than having the parents have a go at her! I got no reply to my letter - thats how serious Oakwood take safety even after the Hydro accident!!!

How many other people were called liars or got no response if they reported saftey incidents.

They have total disregard for safety and I will never ever visit again.

Patrick McNamara and his "family run business" should be done for manslaugter.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-ne...91466-22508830/

This post has been edited by AdrianE: Aug 4 2009, 11:03 PM

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Aug 4 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,274

Oakwood has was taken over in late 2007/early 2008. Its now run by a spanish company who at the time, Oakwood was their first theme park.

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
AdrianE
post Aug 4 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,426

Not sure if its changed much, just checked the forums and found this posted May this year referencing unchecked restraints. An adult knows better but children just dont see danger and I have no faith in Oakwood.

Maybe others can post their thoughts on Oakwood safety (from a childs view).

QUOTE (garyholc @ May 13 2009, 10:03 AM) *
Speed is the same, 1 person to distach the ride, no checking of restraints. Same on Bounce. The only ride with more than 1 ride op is Megafobia and Hydro - and we know the reason for that.

It is such a pity, Oakwood could be so much more, it has a lot of potential, its a nice little park in a nice setting, but if the new owners are going to run the park on a shoe string and not maintain it then its not going to be a success. The 3D Voodoo mansion hasnt been touched since last year, the effects which were not working last year are not working this year, simple things, such as a tv which projected a woman's face on the wall has not been fixed - low cost items which should be working.

Even the Guest Services hut has closed down, anyone with a problem has to walk up past the shop, over the railway line and into the reception!!!

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Aug 4 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #14

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

I went for the first time at the end of June. Oakwood staff were overly stressy about restraints, to the point it nearly put me off riding Hydro after being shouted at for pulling my own restraint down. It took the best part of 5 minutes to be loaded. Staff seemed to be rotated around the rides constantly - can't make my mind up if this was a good or bad things but we saw one particular staff member operating Tree Tops Coaster, Speed, Hydro and Bounce all in one day.

However, I did see a member of the maintenance staff walking up to the top of Hydro before it opened to the public, and even smoking at the very top, without a harness to secure themselves to the railings. Alton insist that all their staff wear harnesses even if its just to tell someone off if they've got their camera out on the Oblivion lift hill!

Personally, I think responsibility for on-ride safety does not solely lie with the staff, but also with the person sitting in the seat. Granted, no responsible ride operating team would batch a ride out without being 100% sure that everyone is in their seat securely, but if someone wants to ride without a few extra clicks of the restraint, or unbuckles the seatbelt part way around, then its the rider's fault if anything goes wrong.

I know certainly from my trips to Europa Park, some of the rides do not have their restraint checked by an operator other than a visual check of the "restraints locked" lights. They trust their guests to have the common sense to secure themselves in.

This post has been edited by Jayne: Aug 4 2009, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Aug 4 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #15

From a child's view Oakwood does worry me. I still have concerns regarding safety at the park. The restraints are not checked on Speed even now, and I have seen kids going on who are clearly under the minimum height. With just one ride op who presses the green go button and is more interested in staring at girls, its no wonder.

Bounce again is one ride op. Restraints are looked at but not physically checked. The ride on numerous occasions when i have been on it, has wobbled at the top to the extent the trim brakes at the top have activated. I have seen an emergency decent performed twice on the ride when I have been there from the very top.

Megafobia has a 2 man crew and is generally better than the rest, this year and last they were running past each side making sure seat belts were done up and the bars were down. I dont have a problem with Mega.

Hydro, as can be expected, very slow dispatching trains due to checking restraints. The staff even pull them down over your head.

Unfortunately, the park and rides is being run on skeleton staff, simple safety checks seem to be being ignored, and due to lack of staff, I dare to think what would happen on a ride if something went wrong. I do worry about Oakwood and the future, the park used to give me confidence when going on the rides, but not any more. Dare I say but speed or bounce (prob bounce) will be next to have some sort of accident.

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Aug 5 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 866

The Germans get away with it at Europa park ok though...if the light is on...off you go!

--------------------
Thank you for watching SanBrooke productions!

+Quote Post
jcpcelt
post Oct 15 2009, 9:53 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 14,536

QUOTE (Howie @ May 24 2009, 9:09 PM) *
Hydro is quite good too, the steepness of the drop took me by surprise and it sure does get you very wet but I dunno, it doesn't quite have the character of Tidal Wave, and the splash just isn't as impressive. Not only that, it took aaaaages to load. Even though the queue was empty, only operating one boat meant a good 5 minute wait while the thing did it's circuit, and of course, the safety checks on this ride are extra rigorous these days for obvious reasons.
Worth a visit, but only once.
Sorry, Oakwwod fans.

I've been with Oakwood for three years now, as a supervisor on the Rides team. I work on Hydro a lot.

5 minutes is actually pretty quick. There are several points i'd make:
1. The zealous nature of the safety checks, the shouting, the announcements: These are necessity due to findings in the coroners report.

2. The ride wasn't designed to have shoulder bars and as such they are so restrictive that at least 21 people on average have to leave the ride every time due us being unable to fit their shoulders/chest in. We have to restart the safety checks after this, so it is very laborious and slows us down.

3. There is no room for putting two boats on. It is very simple- the momentum of the boat carries it to a chain lift pulling it into the station. A second boat would a) HAVE NO BRAKE RUN AFTER THE DROP...
aka the first boat get stuck.. the second one smashing into it. cool.gif if the boat is held up before the chain, as necessary if there was to be two boats, then the boat would simply get stuck there, as the lack of momentum would leave it stranded before reaching chain.

4. On quieter days we need to wait for enough customers to run the ride sometimes. I've had to book people on every half hour, in fact. This is not a "giving the ride a break, to cut down on maintenance" time like on other rides, it is because depending on water levels and wind speed/direction we need a certain minimum weight of riders on the boat, otherwise the momentum lessens and it gets stranded under the splash bridge before the chain. Thus, we get waders on and push it in. Manually. Takes a while with 7.5 metric tonnes.

QUOTE (garyholc @ May 25 2009, 2:20 AM) *
Ahh yes speed, ever since it opened they dont check the restraints. I guess a red light would flash on the complex control panel to tell him if one wasnt locked! I wrote to complain to Oakwood 2 years back about Speed, as they were letting anyone on regardless of their height. I asked the girl why she was letting on kids who were obviously too small, her reply was that it was better than having the parents have a go at her! I got no reply to my letter - thats how serious Oakwood take safety even after the Hydro accident!!!

I can assure that this is something most of us are EXTREMELY rigorous with. Anyone found to be shriking height limits consistently ends up sacked. Simple as that. More often than not I get large numbers of complaints from those who can't get on, or parents simply parking the kids in a seat, after being told they are too small.

Also, actually we are notified by a light as to when the bars are all secured properly and visually check, rather than being notified only when something is wrong.

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Oct 15 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #18

Nice to hear from a ride op at the park and thanks for the comments on here.

Appreciate the Hydro safety checks are needed, no complaints there, obviously its a pity it takes so long but there we go.

As for speed, these were observations I made on several occasions, and like you said, you get complaints from parents whose kids cant go on, that was the reason the ride op was letting them on, because she couldnt be bothered with all the moaning parents (her words). Its also a pity that after a letter to Oakwood and a comment left on their Facebook page, no one bothered to reply, not even an acknowledgement.

I am guessing morale of the staff in certain areas is very low as well. Most staff members i spoke to complained of being over worked. One example was the poor guy at the top of snake river falls, rain or shine, all day on his own loading boats into 4 different slides. No wonder he snapped at a customer when i was there this year.

No doubt you'll agree but Oakwood seems to have gone down hill this year, areas of the park look shabby, Bounce in particular looks awful, and it seems there is a lack of any real investment going into the park this year. Spooky 3D another example of being run down.

Are you aware of the future plans for the park, any significant investment by its new owners etc?

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Oct 15 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 1,120

Basically, the ride itself is a bit of a joke - operationally!

Sorry to hear the pallava that is needed on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jcpcelt
post Oct 16 2009, 1:58 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,536

QUOTE (garyholc @ Oct 15 2009, 11:08 AM) *
Are you aware of the future plans for the park, any significant investment by its new owners etc?

We've bought a couple of rides from a park thats gone under. A family ride and a kid's ride: This may not excite thrill seekers but is much needed, as we've neglected the younger families for some time. Major Ride could be announced next year if a few rumours prove correct. Obviously Apsro will look to the end of their first full season's figures first, but 2012 is likely.

On the point of theming:

There was finally to be a theme last year- the Oakwood "woodland friends" popping up around the place, but this was abandoned due to some dithering over the marketing deadline for this sseason. Likely to reappear sometime soon however.

QUOTE (garyholc @ Oct 15 2009, 11:08 AM) *
I am guessing morale of the staff in certain areas is very low as well. Most staff members i spoke to complained of being over worked. One example was the poor guy at the top of snake river falls, rain or shine, all day on his own loading boats into 4 different slides. No wonder he snapped at a customer when i was there this year.

No doubt you'll agree but Oakwood seems to have gone down hill this year, areas of the park look shabby, Bounce in particular looks awful, and it seems there is a lack of any real investment going into the park this year. Spooky 3D another example of being run down.

Admitaedly Snake is a testing shift, and generally it's either new boys or younger lads up there- more prone to being a bit mardy, i'm certainly glad I haven't done it for a while. Morale is low but it's a result of internal change, this will improve next year.

As for the state of the park- absolutely, but we lost our budget to bring in enough out of season staff to get what we wanted done. It's a bigger job every year too... But the most senior people in the park certainly agree with you. My personal opinion is that we spent too long in limbo with Paddy McNamara looking to sell up and Aspro in the "protracted buyers" role. Obviously it was difficult to do anything major with the park at that time.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 9:51 AM