Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
TR Blackpool Pleasure Beach Sat 26th June
garyholc
post Jun 28 2010, 8:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

Headed up to Blackpool for the weekend after not being there for the past 2 years. Booked my tickets online to save some money and went into the park on Saturday (26th).

From the queues to collect tickets and the gorgeous weather it was apparent this was going to be a busy day. But never mind, it wasnít a day for rushing around and getting a big ride count, this was a day of just enjoying ourselves as my girlfriend had never been to Blackpool.

Pepsi Max was the first ride, mainly because I knew the queues would be huge as the day went on. Naughty however that the rides are supposed to open at 10am, yet some donít open until 10.30, or 11am and some even 12pm. Pepsi max was open at 10.30 and after a short 15 min wait we got on, back seats too 

I had totally forgotten how fast this ride was, infact it seems a lot faster than when I rode it last time where it just about made it around the spiral section just before the camera. All the way around it was fast and I loved it.

Steeplechase was next, good fun. This was followed by Big Dipper which unfortunately closed down due to problems at 2pm. We also did the Wild mouse which I totally forgot was so violent, came off black and blue but loving it. Grand National was good, but very very slow dispatching trains. Iíd also forgotten just how forceful the drops on this are, with my backside hardly on the seat while going around the circuit.

Went on the river caves which had a lot of effects not working anymore, then headed on to Valhalla. Again, Iíd forgotten just how good this ride was, and yes we got absolutely drenched but loved the ride. A guy I was speaking to said its closing in Sept and they are going to extend the ride outwards to make it bigger. Not quite sure I believe this however.

Also did the steam train and monorail and Avalanche which we loved. It was now around 1pm so we had lunch, and I was gutted to see the nice restaurant where the gold train and river caves comes into has now been turned into a ruddy chicken fast food place. I say fast food, because it took them about 20 mins just to serve 5 people in the queue. The food was rubbish too.

Anyway, 2pm and the queues for the rides were very big now, with the Pepsi max queue all the way down to the old ticket booths, and most rides having queues outside the ride entrances. We wandered around a bit, soaked up the sun, watched the fountain show which was quite good before deciding to call it a day and head up to the tower.

I was pleasantly surprised however, the PB is not the same place it was when I last visited. Its very clean, the staff were excellent and everything seemed to be open bar one or two rides which we knew were closed. Even Blackpool seemed cleaner and the new promenade is lovely.

The tower was on offer at £14 to get in and this included the circus. The Jurassic walk and 3D cinema was a joke, but my partner really enjoyed the pleasure beach and the tower. Infact she really enjoyed her weekend in Blackpool as did I, no doubt the stunning weather helped.

I did ask the owner of our B&B about if Merlin had any interest in the pleasure beach seeing as she had knowledge of them buying the tower. She said the PB cannot be sold to anyone outside the family, there is some clause somewhere which means an external interest cannot run the beach. She said the chances of Merlin taking over the park were zero.

I donít see why an external owner cant take over the park, but hey ho, I donít live there or know the inís and outís of the place as the residents do.

But yeah, overall a fab weekend and I cant wait to head up to Pleasurebeach ďresortĒ (copying Alton?) again for the illuminations, hopefully at a quieter time when there will be less queues to get on the rides.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Howie
post Jun 28 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,271

Nice report fella! Reading these things always makes me want to visit the park in question, I'm mad for going to Blackpool now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2017 - 11:48 PM