Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Earliest Memory, of Alton Towers Visits.
Nexus
post Jan 21 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #1

Photographer
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 94

Whats your earlyest memory of a visit to AT?

Mine would be a visit that involved me riding the "Gravitron", thats the only memory I have of that trip, no idea of the date.

FLASHBACK: 1001 Nights was there too! Dinosaurs still lived in the log flume forest, The spider was in operation allong with the old cross valley railway.

This post has been edited by Nexus: Jan 21 2004, 2:05 AM

--------------------
Tom Bannister
ATA Site Photographer

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kondor
post Jan 21 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 332

back in 1980, on entering the site via the old entrance you were greeted by a magnificent sight of the Pirate Ship, and is it just me or did that thing seem to shoot a lot higher than it does now.

It was a school trip that my sister talked me into going on, she was 2 yrs older and most of the kids on this trip were older than me. Well only one girl from the first years, and me. So I tagged along with her and a couple of lads and lasses from the second year. Im not quite sure why they didnt tell me to bugger off, and kept half expecting it. I miss the chair lift and the seals, but jeez did they pen and ink!

ohhhh, the all weather tobogan, that was a real hoot racing ya mate down a slope with your eyes shut waiting for the thing to spin of the track.

It was a real game of dare that, basically if you pushed the stick forward it went faster, if you pulled it back you had a brake. Obviously you pretended to keep it pushed forward but the banks were so drastic that it took nerves of steel to achieve it for real.

--------------------
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

+Quote Post
jayson2125
post Jan 21 2004, 11:15 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

Ah the memories,

My first trip was when I was seven and my grandparents took me and wouldnt allow me to go on any rides......AT the had the impressive ride count of..

Dinosaur land
Pirate ship
Corkscrew
Doom & sons
Bob sled
and a few other small attractions

I remeber the second time I went with my dad and going on the pirate ship for the first time.....yes it did seem to go higher or was it that I was smaller...

I have seen AT go from this to the park it is today...

Rides & Things that are missed..

The mouse
The beast
Thunder looper
Doom & sons
Henry hound burgers
Model railway

I remember when behind cred street used to be the best part of the park at one pint as there were the 4 man bobs , spider , mouse and beast all in this small corner...wow...

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Jan 21 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 32

My earliest memory had to be when i visited the park in 1997 for a surprise birthday trip with my aunt and uncle, who got me from school and took me there, lol

It was ded good, because i wasn't expecting it lol, and of course it just made me the biggest AT fan ever from having all that excitement smile.gif never went on the big rides tho... sad.gif but i still enjoyed all of it smile.gif cant remember going down to see oblivion being built tho...

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
Alex C.
post Jan 21 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 147

Oblivion was brand new... tongue.gif

--------------------
:-)

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Jan 21 2004, 1:44 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 18

I have no stand out memorys from ages ago, the first memorable experiance at Alton I had was first time on Oblivion, where I felt physically ill & freaked out quite baddly. (Yes, I no thats still the case. My tactic of eating a large pizza hut meal & saying im to full to go on it usually works. )

+Quote Post
spinballwhizzer
post Jan 21 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 394

was 1997, ripsaw was new and blade, i went there for my mates birthday , i rember being told that his dad was not going to come off nemesis alive, and the blood was real! LOL, i also rember the beast, black hole and quing for the rapids, but no going on them! (but i did) I was really really scared about going on the corkscrew! unsure.gif and was scared of goin on enterprise (when it was in now called ug land) because there is nothing to strap ypu in, and i thought i was gonna fall out, i was told that the seats where magic and the held you in! LOL! biggrin.gif tongue.gif
Oh and i rember asking what the pink boards around oblivions construction site where!

This post has been edited by spinballwhizzer: Jan 21 2004, 4:13 PM

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jan 21 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #8

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Sitting on the "hill" where Oblivion is now, and trading about a billion tickets in whats now "edge games" for a small keyring pen laugh.gif

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
Sku
post Jan 21 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 361

Going on the beast, when my brother wasnt tall enough tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
xsixflags
post Jan 21 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 191

Back in '98 I think I was about 9. I remember seing Oblivion and not even consideing it, but I went on Nemesis because I had hered about it and it looked good. The only other thing that I can remember is that my first ride ever at ALton Towers was Squirell Nutty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
altontowersmadma...
post Jan 21 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 395

my fist time was either the year nemisis opened or the year after
i went wiv me mum dad sister and uncle cause me parents got me and sis in free wiv an offer on bog roll
i remember i goin to the start of the black hole queue and being told by a park worker i was just tall enough queued for a long time to be told i was not tall enough so while me sis and uncle went on i went on the pirate ship wiv me mum (they must have been close at one time)
i remember goin on the flying carpet or what ever it was called and i was really in need of a pee corse on the ride i nearly had an accident
i remember going on corkscrew because me sister and uncle and dad drag me and my mum on me being young and scared and me mum just being scared we went on and i loved it
i remember looking at nemisis and thunder looper and say im goin on the when im older
only to be disapointed next time i went to find thunderlooper gone

+Quote Post
Sku
post Jan 21 2004, 9:56 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 361

I am also a thuder looper virgin. It was gone before I had chance to ride it.

:'(

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Jan 21 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

I remember some time ages ago between 1985 and 1989, when I was with my family standing by the towers, where there now stands a sign telling you where to go to get to each area. By this there was a henry hound model or something.
Also, on the river rapids, a animatronic Henry Hound that told you to smile for the camera, and I remember thinking the waterfalls were massive, they seem tiny to me nowadays.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
aru
post Jan 21 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 62

Also, on the river rapids, a animatronic Henry Hound that told you to smile for the camera, and I remember thinking the waterfalls were massive, they seem tiny to me nowadays.

Wow an animatronic on the rapids, anyone have any pics?

I can remember watching enterprise, getting an ice cream from Cred St, being fascinated by the magic show in the theatre, watching a show in the recently converted fountain sq tent and taking the monorail to the park! Its funny how I only remember the back of the park! From my second visit in 1997 I can remember much more but I could go on all day.

+Quote Post
altonmad
post Jan 21 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 27

You sure it wasnt a 'real' henry hound? I always thought he was! I was little at the time! unsure.gif

Edit: my earliest memory is watching most of my family go on the beast in 'coaster corner' in about 1988 or 1989 and also a few years later getting stuck on 1001 knights when the restraints wouldnt open!

This post has been edited by altonmad: Jan 21 2004, 10:36 PM

--------------------
'A business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark, you know your doing it but no-one else does.'

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Jan 21 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

I don't think it was real, simply becasue I remember it not being that animated, as in I am sure it just stood still, or at least lifted his arms up with a camera to take a pic.

This post has been edited by PaulMorgster: Jan 21 2004, 10:35 PM

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
v.i.p
post Jan 25 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 309

My earliest memory was probably when i was about 3, and was too scared to go on Around the World in 80 Days lol. I remember one of the ride ops, coming out to try and convince me to go on lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Jan 29 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Prepare 4 Air @ Jan 25 2004, 02:57 AM)
My earliest memory was probably when i was about 3, and was too scared to go on Around the World in 80 Days lol. I remember one of the ride ops, coming out to try and convince me to go on lol.

you can actually remember that when you was three??? wow, i'd love to remember Disney World when i went wen i was three... alas, that was quite some time ago...

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 30 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 348

Erm, My earliest memory qould be queueing up at Towers Street with me youth leader. That day was reeee good!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Duel
post Feb 1 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 49

Mine was 1999, well it wasnt that long ago really, Ever since then i have been a huge fan, i was infact a huge fan before i even went tongue.gif

My first memory was Energizer in X-Sector, i wasnt botherd about that i just kept looking at Oblvion cause my mum said

"If you dont go on that, we'll go home NOW" We had only been in the park 20 mins.

So of course i went on it with my crying my eyes out screming NO Please mum no :'( , but i closed my eyes the first time on it. tongue.gif But i've loved it even since.

Then it was UG-Land, all its new paint ETC... Looked ace then.

Gazza

--------------------

Coming Sunday: Latest Pictures of CATF & All The Latest News...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 11:40 PM