Accommodation Recommendations, Excluding Alton Towers Hotel/Splash Landings
Jayne
post Jun 12 2007, 4:23 PM
Post #1

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

As mentioned in the "Your Alton Morning Routine" thread, I'm in talks with Dan about the prospect of creating an ATA Accommodation Guide. I'm keen on getting reviews of places (outside of the Alton resort) from people who have stayed at them, so I need some suggestions of places to stay from forum members. But even as a forum topic, it would be quite handy for anyone browsing the forum who needs some ideas of places to stay.

So off you go then, tell us where you've stayed on trips to Alton. Which places should we all avoid? Was it easy to travel to and from Alton to where you were staying? What was the price for one night (if you can remember)?

I'll start to get everyone into the swing of things:
I've stayed in two places near to Alton - Peakstones Inn and Piggery Restaurant, and The (now famous!) Raddle Log Cabins and Inn.

At Peakstones I think I shared a static caravan with 4 people (can accommodate up to 8 people). It was relatively cheap (around 20) with breakfast. There are some rooms inside the Inn (IIRC, Gem has stayed there). Cheap and cheerful accommodation. We drove between the park and Peakstones.

Raddle Log Cabins - great for large groups (5 or more). For 15 people it cost 25 pppn, self catering, take your own towels. Great facilities, plenty of parking, childrens' play area, and a public house next door that serve food too. Drive was about 10 mins to the park, down some windy lanes. Great views of the countryside though.

Now over to Graeme with his review of The Weathervane in Stoke (again, sorry!)

Apologies to Mods, this may be better off in Anything Goes... Not really related to Alton Towers directly

This post has been edited by Jayne: Jun 12 2007, 4:25 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Jun 12 2007, 4:27 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 18

Raddle Log is good for groups big or small! Was only 80 for 3 people when re-visited the place last week.

Only other place I've stayed is that nice converted barn on an ATA trip in...2004? I'm sure somone else remembers the name.

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Jun 12 2007, 4:34 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 866

Thanks to my lovely assistant Jayne!

Well the Weathervane is run by "new lodge" and is about 10-20 minutes drive away from Alton The site can be found here http://www.newlodges.com/ . Prices are about 49.95 per room per night. If you want breakfast it's 6 extra but well worth it. The rooms in the weathervane are similar to the travel lodge. For meals there is a hungry horse built in which does some lovely food.

All in all I would say this works out good value for money, the bar is quite nice and the rooms come with tea/coffee making facilities. I have also found the staff are very friendly. I'm sure Gary will back me up when I say it's a great little place, perfect for 2 nights.

--------------------
Thank you for watching SanBrooke productions!

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jun 12 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #4

Editor
Group Icon

Isn't The Weathervane near The Britannia Stadium (Stoke City's football ground)?

+Quote Post
tiger2000
post Jun 12 2007, 4:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 280

No, its opposite the Tesco's in Mier Park just before you get into Blythe Bridge.

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jun 12 2007, 4:42 PM
Post #6

Editor
Group Icon

Ah righty, shows how my knowledge of Stoke has gone downhill!

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Jun 12 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,120

Is it me or are these log cabins very expensive? For self-catering, take your own towels etc. 25-30 per person per night is, in my estimation, a lot - especially if you compare that to hotels in the area?

unsure.gif

This post has been edited by AstroDan: Jun 12 2007, 5:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jun 12 2007, 5:11 PM
Post #8

Editor
Group Icon

Well I know when we were planning Eurovision it was hard to find accommodation for a large group of people, and especially as we wanted a bit of a party too the cabins were ideal. Otherwise we'd be in a hotel/b&b making a lot of noise till the early hours, annoying other guests.

This post has been edited by Jayne: Jun 12 2007, 5:12 PM

+Quote Post
John R
post Jun 12 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Jayne, R.e. your question in the other one im in the Express Holiday Inn next to a big footbal stadium? No idea what one though? its a really good hotel, Brilliant, good value resturaunt next to it too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Jun 12 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 113

^Stoke on Trent, with the Harvester attached.

--------------------

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post Jun 13 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 17

Not sure if this really counts, but I tend to use Travelodge Uttoxeter. If I were to travel to AT and back home in one day, it'd be way too much driving for me for one day, so I tend to need to stay overnight - and all I'm really looking for is a bed for the night... as cheap as possible. Usually, if you book at the right time, you can get a 4-person room for 26 per night at Travelodge. Yeh, it's nothing special, but it is a place to sleep, and it's cheap. It's about a 10-15min drive from Alton, so is also in a really good location. If you're not looking for anything fancy, and simply a bed for the night, I'd thoroughly recommend Travelodge as it's your cheapest option.

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post
John R
post Jun 13 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Yeah 7 @ Jun 12 2007, 11:39 PM) *
^Stoke on Trent, with the Harvester attached.

10 points that man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
spider069
post Sep 24 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,171

hi all,

Just booked the Ivy house B&B next to the alton towers theme park and was wondering if anyone has stayed there? please tell me of your experience there and how much you would rate/recommend it.

Also, any pubs/restaurants next to the theme park? how far is the nearest pub/restaurant from the park anyhow? many thanks ppl!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Sep 24 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #14

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (spider069 @ Sep 24 2007, 08:57 PM) *
Also, any pubs/restaurants next to the theme park? how far is the nearest pub/restaurant from the park anyhow? many thanks ppl!! rolleyes.gif

If you head down the hill towards Alton village you'll find a few places - first one you'll come to is the Alton Bridge Hotel & Inn, and there's more places if you venture further into the village.

Or heading the other way there's Ye Olde Star Inn on Star Road, Cotton which does lovely food and huge portions smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kondor
post Sep 25 2007, 2:34 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 332

QUOTE (AstroDan @ Jun 12 2007, 06:01 PM) *
Is it me or are these log cabins very expensive? For self-catering, take your own towels etc. 25-30 per person per night is, in my estimation, a lot - especially if you compare that to hotels in the area?

Its you.
They are huge!

--------------------
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

+Quote Post
Gem
post Sep 25 2007, 7:22 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 194

QUOTE (Jayne @ Jun 12 2007, 05:23 PM) *
At Peakstones I think I shared a static caravan with 4 people (can accommodate up to 8 people). It was relatively cheap (around 20) with breakfast. There are some rooms inside the Inn (IIRC, Gem has stayed there).

I have indeed. Stayed in one of the chalets too - brick-built, self-contained housey things. Similar to the rooms upstairs at Peakstones, but the chalets were definitely more modern. The room was quite cute - nice and cosy, you felt like you were staying in someone's spare room.

No-one's mentioned the real reason to stay at Peakstones! The restaurant, with hundreds of cuddly toys hanging from all the beams. They have all been won at Alton Towers and there are whole families of the things. At breakfast, it's a wonderful novelty. In the middle of the night, it's a bit spooky.

And yes, the Raddle Log Cabins are fab. They even have a view. Of some sheep.

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
stevebrown
post May 8 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,025

A place I would definitely recommend is The Chained Oak b&b (website here), walking distance from the entrance to Alton Towers (so save on the parking cost!).

Superb accommodation with excellent full english breakfast cooked by the owner. At 52 for a double room incl breakfast it's good value too. It's located off the main road - Farley Lane - but is halfway up the hill towards AT's main entrance (very close to the Trade entrance) as you leave Alton village. Map here - the b&b is the building to the left of the picture just above the trees.

Steve

+Quote Post
TurboJ
post Jun 22 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,914

I was considering a stay at the Chained Oak on my most recent trip (last year I stayed at the Travelodge in Uttoxeter), but it was completely full. Instead I stayed at The Warren (website), and I must say it's a lovely little place. It has a great view looking out towards the park (of course you can't see it), the owner is very friendly and the village is but a short walk away. Each room has a television and a DVD player, plus a selection of DVDs are available to watch. Breakfast is included with the price.

I would highly recommend it, and will definitely be staying there next time.

This post has been edited by TurboJ: Jun 22 2008, 2:38 PM

--------------------
Sit Back... It's fright Time

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Aug 22 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 870

Take look at this place which is trying to copy AT and theme its bedrooms. Not stayed here so cant comment on what its like: http://www.heywoodhall.co.uk/picture_gallery.html

+Quote Post
miss_e_afro
post Aug 22 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,044

I was talking to a guest today who is staying at heywood hall. They say it's brilliant

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 6:49 AM