3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Heavyweights Banned, Oblivion, Nemesis & Air
tiger2000
post May 23 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 280

I'm sure that this is an old story, but icbirmingham.co.uk are reporting on the problems that very large people have on riding some of the rides at Alton Towers.

Link:- Theme park's weighty ban Story
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aru
post May 23 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 62

It might give people a wake up call of they are turned away from a ride because of their size, some people are seriously overweight and they don't seem the care.

One thing that annoyed me was a programme I saw not all that long ago about obesity, one woman (who was seriously obese) was annoyed because there was a waiting list for an operation she wanted to shrink her stomach. She didnít work, she had people coming to her house to look after her and she was on benefits (because she was too fat to walk)! Why should we pay for her to have an operation because she ate to much and was too lazy to exercise!

Anyway back on topic, Alton Towers wouldn't put these restrictions on just because they want to annoy overweight people, if there are safety risks then im all for it. Most rides in America have fat seats (because half the population are obese) it would benefit large people over here, but is obesity such a problem in the UK that we have to do this?

(I apologise in advance if I offended any overweight people who post here, if there are any)

+Quote Post
BillyBobJoe
post May 23 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 164

I have nothing against larger people, but if they want to be obese they have to take the consequenses. Peoples safety HAS to come first!!!

This post has been edited by BillyBobJoe: May 23 2004, 3:58 PM

+Quote Post
bmacrow
post May 23 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 138

You wil find that the rides that are able to at alton do have Fat-Boy seats (as they r known) however with altons ride line up there r currently only 2 rides with them installed, Nemesis and Oblivion.

They can be identified as they are the seats with 2 seat belts instead of one.

AIR, due to its restraint system cannot take them, corkie is old and they didnt see it a problem when it was first installed, Ripsaw and Submission, due to their double lock system cannot have fat seats.

Other rides, dnt need em (rapids, loggy etc) or are old and dnt warrant them installing (UGSwinger etc) or simply r incompatible (RMT, Spinball (I think) etc)

--------------------
Simile Productions films online at:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Ben+Macrow

+Quote Post
Kondor
post May 24 2004, 7:40 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 332

Why should we pay for her to have an operation because she ate to much and was too lazy to exercise!

mmm, I take it you aint fat then.

This post has been edited by Kondor: May 24 2004, 7:42 AM

--------------------
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

+Quote Post
tiger2000
post May 24 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 280

Midlands Today are also running the story on their Regional Bulletins.

+Quote Post
aru
post May 24 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kondor @ May 24 2004, 08:40 AM)
Why should we pay for her to have an operation because she ate to much and was too lazy to exercise!

mmm, I take it you aint fat then.

Maybe I should have emphasized that she had never worked in her life, she was claiming benefits and she couldn't walk so the NHS and her family had to look after her. Her "disability" was completely self inflicted, she made the choice to become disabled, others don't have the choice (as you know Kondor) so why should she get special treatment, its selfish. She had never contributed to society so why should we pay for her, plus she had the cheek to complain about the waiting list.

This post has been edited by aru: May 24 2004, 12:24 PM

+Quote Post
RPG
post May 24 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #8

řetta Er Allt ÷ūruvŪsi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

anyone who knows me knows im a fat get, but if it got to the point where it affected my daily life id do something about it

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
wrexham fan
post May 24 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Official ATA Bog Cleaner
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

im a fat bar steward also...but its not my fat gut that makes it difficult on air for me, its my huge muscular legs....

i have no problems on nemmy/'bliv/ripsaw/submission etc.....

+Quote Post
Kondor
post May 24 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

aru, yes it does appear like self inflicted, but im not a doctor. Maybe the reason folks spend so much money on food, and eat so much, isnt because they have an inbuilt desire to be fat. Maybe it is because they do actually have something wrong with them, Clinical Depression is a very real thing. It shows itself by making you idle, or sometimes by making you a workacholic, whichever path it chooses you can bet the end result will be that it pushes you further and further into depression.
Now if someone hasnt worked in there life, if they are really really big then I should think there physical state would be nothing compared to there mental state. One thing seems certain, either obesity leads to clinical depression or clinical depression leads to obesity.

Maybe you feel she wants the opperation for cosmetic reasons?
Well after the op (which carries a life risk as all do) she will be left in agony, pain, and a big scar. After the weight loss she will be left with a lot of flabby skin which wouldnt be a nice sight, it would take more than one lifetime for that excess skin to dissapear in the quantity your talking about. Not really desirable is it?

Your comments about her not putting into society make me smile. Personally I would love my taxes to go to someone who needed them, not someone who had earned them. I can see your point though, maybe we should just let her die, from a financial point of view it makes alot of sense.

For a long time now Ive toyed with the idea of a society this is how it goes see what you think...

Everyone goes to school from birth untill 21
Everyone Works from ages 21 - 60
Everyone retires at 60.
Everything medically possible to keep people alive untill they are 70 is done for them, they are given a full working wage between the ages of 60 and 70.
At the age of 70 they are terminated.

I know it is way off the topic but heck it would save a load of TAX. We dont really need very old people, they take up space, houses, hospital beds and leech tax.
I know what your thinking...
"Some of them do pay in alot of money into the system first though"

Perhaps we should just terminate the ones that havent paid enough into the system? Or just the ones that havent paid a thing.

Heck thinking about it, termination will probably cost money, lets just stop feeding them, remove all there benefits, medicines, anything else they havent earned and watch them slowley die.

yup mate im with you all the way (NOT)

--------------------

+Quote Post
aru
post May 24 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

I get your point but I was taking on an individual level. You would have to see the programme to understand that the woman was selfish and actually liked being the size she was. She liked the fact that everything was done for her, she got a flat, food, money, all off the state, she had helpers every day, and she liked it! She was pushed into the operation by her family and doctor, her attitude was, "oh I don't know why I bothered applying for this operation, its taking so long ", that's selfishness! If I was her I would be delighted that someone was giving me the opportunity to sort out my health problems.

On a national scale, no I don't think my attitude to this individual is at all viable, you must understand that I saw the womans attitudes to her family and the state and you didn't. Sure mentally she must have disliked the way she was (we all would), but her obesity gave her an easy (lazy) life, and that's what seemed to want.

+Quote Post
Kondor
post May 24 2004, 8:27 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

your totally right aru,
I didnt see the program and shouldnt really voice strong opinions about something I havent even seen (though ask me about my views on the film titanic and you will get just that, turning a disaster in to a love story grrrr)
Sorry smile.gif

This post has been edited by Kondor: May 24 2004, 8:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Big L
post May 31 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 50

I have to use the fat seats on Nemesis and Oblivion. I don't fit on Ripsaw or Submission, but AIR, Corkscrew and all the others are not a problem.

--------------------
MAKE POETRY HISTORY

+Quote Post
lindendavies
post Jul 22 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,169

i would like to add to this topic.
I am an absolute alton towers maniac!! I love the place. I went 2 times last summer, and everything was fine, i did not have one problem getting on any ride,

5 months later when the park reopened the next year I went on all the same rides.
I was so so so embaressed!! ! - i must have put some more weight on, cos i could not get on anything without a struggle.
I had to be forced into Air, and Nemesis, Rita was tight but ok, Did not wana chance oblivion, but ripsaw was also a big nono.
I would like to say thanks to the alton towers staff for not making a big (pun) deal of it, and they gave me and my mate some priv passes.

What i dont get, my waist is no where near 52", the restraints were not pushing on my waist!, i really dont understand what the problem was!!
Sad thing is it will prob put me off theme parks for a long time, until i lose a hell of a lot of weight!!

Big respect out to the staff tho, they were very professional. At least I got on most of the rides i wanted to go on.

+Quote Post
Moopy
post Jul 23 2006, 1:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,751

I'm a bit worried about this. My other half is a big bloke. not so much fat but he has huge shoulders and is built like a brick [removed] house (used to play rugby a lot and was in the Army)
We went to Thorpe Park about 2 years ago and went on Nemesis Inferno. 2 hours later went to go back on it and they said he was too fat. He explained that he had already been on it once and he hadn't even eated in between but they were having none of it.

We are coming to Alton Towers next month and its going to be a pretty pants trip for him if he can't get on any of the rides.

[Dan: Swearing is not permitted, even hidden behind asterisks.]

This post has been edited by Dan: Jul 24 2006, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Jul 23 2006, 2:07 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,120

Well Nemesis and Oblivion have a 'large seat' if required, which he could use. To be fair, the B&M seats are pretty spacious on those two rides anyway. i'm sure it'll be fine.

Ug Swinger could be a problem as the seats are quite restrictive if you have a large derriere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
miss_e_afro
post Jul 23 2006, 6:58 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,044

i struggle on most rides because i am big, but its just my chest that causes me most problems! i'm fine on spinball whizzer, but the others i struggle on. Last time on air, they had to shove the harness down

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Jul 23 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,019

I'm pretty big all over, have a large barrel like chest and shoulders (always been like that and always served me well playing rugby), chunky legs.. and now as I'm getting older getting a paid for middle spread...lol

I have no problems at all getting into a Nemesis seat, sometimes I can fit and fasten my own harness on oblivion occasionally needing a bit of a push down by a helpul ride op to fasten the lapbelt (especially on the back row, no problems whatsoever on Rita, Spinball or Corkscrew, and generally I need jumping on to get into Air's seats.. the last time I went on it I was effectively screwed into place by key..lol. It's my legs more than anything that are my problem on Air. Oh I'm talking normal seats here not the wide boy seats.

What I find odd though particularly with Oblivion is that sometimes I have no problems at all fastening my own harness (read lap belt), and others I need jumping on. These belts either must be subject to some shrinkage, or they're not all the same length.

This post has been edited by Swampster: Jul 23 2006, 10:33 PM

--------------------
Swampster
---------------------------

+Quote Post
Whale Shark Boy
post Jul 24 2006, 7:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 847

QUOTE (Swampster @ Jul 23 2006, 11:32 PM) *
I'm pretty big all over, have a large barrel like chest and shoulders (always been like that and always served me well playing rugby), chunky legs

Same here. The biggest problem i have is that i have big thighs, so when the restraints are closed, my thighs stop them from reaching my waist. I don't really have a problem with any of the rides at alton towers, coz on nem/air/ob the legroom means that my muscles don't tense much, leaving alot more room, and on rita, i can change the strap size to accomodate my thighs.

The worst ride for me is Colossus at Thorpe Park. On the test seat, the floor on it is lower than the actual ride, meaning legs don't tense, meaning more room for restraints. I fit in it nicely. Now Colossus trains aren't the roomiest of coasters, and the restraints are so bulky, so my thighs have no chance in hell of being able to fit sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snowcat
post Jul 24 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,438

I'm another one that oftens spends the queuetime worrying that I'll get on the ride I'm waiting for. The problem is, although I'm not the thinnest bloke in the place, I can never get my shoulders comfortable in the restraints.

Can get on Air by a couple 'clicks' on the harness and Rita is snug by livable. The REAL fun is Nemmie and the good ol' Corkscrew. On Nemesis, I can get the harness tight around my shoulders so there's no way I'm falling out but I always end up with a little daylight between harness and belly. This generally causes the ride op to have a little swing on the bar crushing me into the seat like a rat in a trap!

Not the most comfortable of places when there's multiple G to play with tongue.gif

Corky is even worse.... It's not the first time the ride has been held up because the op assumed my harness was still half-open (fair enough I s'pose). Yet again, a little dance on the metalwork to convince them and away we go....

Both times, it was my shoulders that were the problem and not the gut.

Heading over to the Florida parks in a few months, hopefully the average seat size will be big enough to keep things comfortable.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 1:07 AM