Crispy
post Jul 26 2006, 8:52 AM
Post #21

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (lindendavies @ Jul 22 2006, 11:34 PM) *
What i dont get, my waist is no where near 52", the restraints were not pushing on my waist!, i really dont understand what the problem was!!

The 52" mentioned on the Nemesis boards is for upper chest dimensions, not waist.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rollercoaster Ty...
post Jul 26 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,809

QUOTE (Snowcat @ Jul 24 2006, 09:03 PM) *
Heading over to the Florida parks in a few months, hopefully the average seat size will be big enough to keep things comfortable.

Yes, you will find that the Florida parks always cater for their guests every need, even larger sized seats. This is something British parks are notorious for neglecting and is yet another reason why I abhor some UK parks.

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Jul 26 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,019

QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jul 26 2006, 02:26 PM) *
QUOTE (Snowcat @ Jul 24 2006, 09:03 PM) *
Heading over to the Florida parks in a few months, hopefully the average seat size will be big enough to keep things comfortable.

Yes, you will find that the Florida parks always cater for their guests every need, even larger sized seats. This is something British parks are notorious for neglecting and is yet another reason why I abhor some UK parks.

I've never heard such crap in my life... oh wait yes I have it was the last time you posted something!

--------------------
Swampster
---------------------------

+Quote Post
meames
post Jul 26 2006, 1:39 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 11

What a load of tosh...You will find that the American seats are EXACTLY the same dimensions (B&M coasters anyway) as over here in good old blighty!

The only difference is that in the US there tends to be a row of wide boy seats instead of just the one.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
Moopy
post Jul 27 2006, 9:11 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,751

QUOTE (Whale Shark Boy @ Jul 24 2006, 08:39 PM) *
The worst ride for me is Colossus at Thorpe Park. On the test seat, the floor on it is lower than the actual ride, meaning legs don't tense, meaning more room for restraints. I fit in it nicely. Now Colossus trains aren't the roomiest of coasters, and the restraints are so bulky, so my thighs have no chance in hell of being able to fit sad.gif

Yup it was Collosus we had grief on too.

Well i measured my boyfriends chest and its 46". But his shoulders are 52" spot on. So we shall see how it goes.

Sorry about the language in my previous post. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
dave c
post Aug 5 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,884

Can I get some clarification from anyone on her?

My mate has a 52 inch chest he's not fat (just big boned lol) he is just broad. Ive been to Alton Towers many times and seen people fatter than him go on rides (admitted two attendees had to jump on the restraint while a third secured the belt! My question is will he get on the rides? Oblivion etc. Hes very scared so perhaps he wont go on anyway but i at least wont to give him the opportunity. Has anyone on here gone on the ride with a broad friend or be broad themselves (grammar?).

Info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Aug 5 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #27

He should be ok I would guess, but might need some help fastening restraints and some might be a bit uncomfortable.

Just bare in mind that on Nemesis & Oblivion should all else fail there are the big boy seats. Also on Oblivion the lap belts on the front row aren't as restrictive as the rear row, so I would try those first. On Air, Rita, Corkscrew and Spinball Whizzer, there's no alternative seating if he doesnt fit then that's that, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I have a 52" - 53" chest and manage to get squeezed into just about anything.

--------------------
Swampster

+Quote Post
Alex
post Aug 7 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 238

QUOTE (Swampster @ Aug 5 2006, 07:41 PM) *
He should be ok I would guess, but might need some help fastening restraints and some might be a bit uncomfortable.

Just bare in mind that on Nemesis & Oblivion should all else fail there are the big boy seats. ...

When I used to work on Nemesis, if a larger guest was unsure if they would fit into the harness then we would direct them to the ride exit.

The assistant at the exit, liasing with the operator, would load only this guest into row 4 (seat with double-belted harness). If the harness and belts can be locked into place successfully, then the row of harnesses are unlocked and the guest will be asked to leave and join the normal queue. If the harness cannot be locked, the guest is asked to leave but at least time has not been wasted queueing.

Note that this may depend on the operator, and at busy times the operator may be unwilling to take a few minutes of time out to do this. Still, it might be worth a go.

+Quote Post
joeyliterati
post Aug 23 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,182

Are there any girls out there who have this problem too? I'm quite large and when I went in the test seat on Air I was advised to go in 'Gate 4' cos the seats were deeper (anyone else heard that?) but I only had a hard time closing the restraints cos of the, well, female elements of my chest blink.gif . The ride op took some convincing that it could be closed (me telling them 'Its ok, you can push it down, they're squashy') and it locked without a problem after a little shove.

I've never been on Ripsaw or Nemmy but I'd imagine similar problems might be encountered there.

The only uncomfortable ride at AT for me was Hex, where the lap bars came down automatically and gave me a good squeezing.....

By the way, does anyone know what the weight limit that rollercoaster restraints can manage before they break is? Call me paranoid.....

J

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Aug 23 2006, 1:36 PM
Post #30

Photographer
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 94

Alton has now implemented a weight restriction on Spinball Whizzer, signage photo here
  • Max Weight per car: 320Kg (50Stone)
  • Max Weight per person 110Kg (17.5 Stone)

This post has been edited by Nexus: Aug 23 2006, 1:37 PM

--------------------
Tom Bannister
ATA Site Photographer

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

+Quote Post
Big L
post Aug 23 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Nexus @ Aug 23 2006, 02:36 PM) *
Max Weight per person 110Kg (17.5 Stone)

Thats me out then.

--------------------
MAKE POETRY HISTORY

+Quote Post
Gem
post Aug 23 2006, 6:19 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

Member No.: 194

So, basically, four of me couldn't all get on a Spinball Whizzer car at the same time.

Do they have a set of scales handy, to resolve disputes?

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Aug 23 2006, 6:46 PM
Post #33

I was going to say how the hell are they going to implement that? Are they going to be forcing people who look on the larger size to stand on scales causing embarrassment to some people.

At that weight restriction it'd probably rule me out, but my weight can vary the better part of a stone from day to day (according to my scales at home), sometimes I might be under that sometimes not so other than demanding I stand on a set of scales what are they going to do about people like me who's weight varies, on that note if they are going to use scales are they going to be calibrated regularly?

I have no problems with the restraints or fitting in the ride, and have ridden it too many times than I care to remember so why suddenly has it become dangerous (presumably) for me to ride it?

--------------------
Swampster

+Quote Post
Wez
post Aug 23 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

Member No.: 33

It's going to be great. smile.gif

Everytime I get loaded into a train I will question the weight limit and demand that it's checked for my own personal safety.

I think it's quite pathetic of them really. We all bang on about discrimination and equal opportunities unless you are fat or disabled.

This boils down to pee poor maintenance and upkeep at Towers anyway. If spinball had good trains and track, was well maintained and Maurer could actually built a decent ride there would be no need for these weight restrictions.

This post has been edited by Wez: Aug 23 2006, 10:30 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 23 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

From: Home: Gravesend, Kent. Uni: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Member No.: 429

I think this may be due to the recent problems Dragon's Fury has been having with its restraints system, last I heard they are only allowing three people per car, again to keep the weight down I presume?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kraken
post Aug 23 2006, 8:26 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 669

I understand the new restriction has come from Maurer - as the photo of the sign would suggest. If a ride manufacturer issues an amendment notice to the safety restrictions for a particular ride model, then all operators of that model have to adapt the new restrictions into their operating procedures - if they want to keep their licence from HSE to operate the ride & their insurance cover.

It's only the same as an aircraft manufacturer, say Boeing or Airbus, issuing a notification to operators [airlines] saying that certain restrictions / checks must be adhered to until further notice. If any airline ingored such notifications & something went wrong with the aircraft, then the lawyers would have a field-day & the airline would not have a leg to stand on.

The only odd thing about the Spinball sign is that at the bottom it says "Temporary sign - August 2006" - are the weight restrictions permanent or not?

+Quote Post
RPG
post Aug 23 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #37

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Thats some sort of signage requirement. You often see it on shop signs when they getting a new made up.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Aug 23 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #38

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 23 2006, 08:44 PM) *
I think this may be due to the recent problems Dragon's Fury has been having with its restraints system

It is indeed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Aug 23 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #39

So is this a temporary restriction in response to a known problem or a permanent rule? I did notice that in the photo that the signage has "temporary" in the bottom corner.

Still like to know how they going to enforce it.

--------------------
Swampster

+Quote Post
Alex
post Aug 24 2006, 8:10 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 238

I would imagine it's a temporary sign, not a temporary restriction.

Depends if and when amendments are made by Maurer I suppose.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 7:12 AM