Reply to this topicStart new topic
18 Apr 2010 - 21 Apr 2010
Babylon
post Apr 22 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Ticket: Annual Pass

It felt about time for another trip to AT now that Thirteen has opened! I only managed to get an hour in the park on Sunday, having spent most of the day travelling to get there and on Wednesday, I left around 2:30PM to allow time to travel back home.

The Rides

With all the kids being back at school I had expected the park to be relatively empty but it was busier than I expected. At times the queue on Thirteen got up to 50 minutes, and on Wednesday especially I saw a queue building up beyond the designated queue! Oblivion, Nemesis, Air, and Rita had varying queue lengths while Sonic Spinball maintained a queue of around 30 minutes most of the day.

Dark Forest

I found Thirteen a good coaster overall. I hadn't expected it to be an intense ride and I'm mindful that Alton Towers needs rides to cater for many different ages and types of people. It's a new idea, and it was... quite fun. If you expect another Nemesis, then sure you'll be disappointed.

It was great to see some actors around the queue for the ride too, and I feel the park would benefit greatly by having more actors scattered around the place. Mutiny Bay especially, but for now I'm glad just to see some wandering about again. It makes the place more interesting and memorable for me.

Lastly, the Dark Forest theme is a nice idea but I found myself a little disappointed. The area feels way too open which likely can't be helped because of the sky ride's route and the other nearby buildings. The wide open paths don't do anything to even hint toward the theme either. Rita continues to feel out of place and was the one main ride I didn't go on.

The Park

The park was looking fairly well looked after. There was nothing which jumped out at me in an amazingly positive sense, but nothing negative to be said either. The only thing I did notice was a lack of benches this year. There seems to be even less than last year, and sometimes it would have been nice to grab a quick seat to let my legs recover.

Also, as mentioned above about the Dark Forest, I feel the park would benefit from having more actors scattered around. I saw someone dressed up as a shark around Mutiny Bay but I'd have liked a bunch of pirates wandering about too! Something a bit more... interactive.

Last but not least, the merchandise doesn't look like it has been improved to any real extent. An Alton Towers themed Monopoly was released during one of the days I was at the park which I think is quite cool. I like the big chunky mugs, and the Oblivion clothing range seems good too. But all the medals, ride trophy cups, terrible magnets and keyrings are something I could really do without. I've still got some of the merchandise I bought 11 years ago and loved it. These days, not so much.

The Staff

I have no complaints here! I largely ate at Alton Towers food outlets (Pizza place near RMT, Towers Restaurant at the gates) and found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. The same was true throughout the park. All shop assistants and ride ops were friendly and usually tried to create conversation. And some of them were kinda cute too blush.gif

The Guests

Felt a lot like a late teen, early 20s crowd. If anyone from here said "3-2-1, Nemmy!" while on the front row of Nemesis one morning, then hello! I love meeting those people who randomly interact and have fun while in the park!

Summary

Overall, I had a great time and I still very much enjoy visiting AT. There's a few things I feel they could improve on, but there are aspects of the park I feel they are getting spot on too. I hope to visit again in a year or two!

This post has been edited by Babylon: Apr 22 2010, 10:58 AM

--------------------
Last Alton Towers Visit: September 20th - September 25th, 2009
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2017 - 4:25 PM