Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dussedorf Kirmes and Phantasialand, woo!
Trev
post Aug 1 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 258

I thought I may as well write a trip report for this one as it's been a while since I've written one and it's Phantasialand so people need to hear about it repeatedly.

I won't go on too long about the Kirmes. If you've not been to a German Fair. Go to one now. They are awesome.

Especially when they have rides like Alpina Bahn and Breakdance No 1, which are both fantastic.

A new ride I tried out was Devil Rock, which is some sort of Huss contraption. OH MY GOD, it's a horrible, horrible contraption. It just does the same movements over and over and then kills you. I thought my lungs where going to snap. Nasty ride.

I finally managed to get to a fair that had a Top Spin there so it was nice to ride it on the Big Boys settings which makes a nice change to Rameses Revenge running the ride on the same settings for 10 years.

Most importantly I did find Gummi Bear Schnapps again, but I think I might have been unlucky this time as it tasted more like paint stripper. sad.gif It was awesome the first time I tried it. I think some scientific tests will need to be done with it.

Right onto Phantasialand. It's still the best theme park in Europe and a million times better than most themeparks. (Basically second to Disneyland).
The theming is incredible, the rides are awesome (well there are a few that need sorting out). If you've not been there yet go now, sod that trip to Europa.

Wakobato is there new ride built into the lake at the far end of the park, it's a Splash Battle in these amazingly themed boats, where you don't actually get wet. It's very odd. But it looks awesome.

I was sad to see the monorail gone, it was a great ride taking you through the park and past the crying dinosaur, which is probably rotting away somewhere now. sad.gif

Hollywood Tour and Lazer Quest the Ride, could probably do with being torn out. Or just add a few more Lazers and let you increase your combo multipliers to the current industry standards.

Talocan was new since I last went but it's awesome. Well presented, intense and fun.
BUT, there were a few problems this visit. Since adding Talocan the area has become far too congested as they've taken away the giant ramp down and now everyone has to cram down a small staircase to cross over to the other side of the park and getting to Black Mamba is also crowded as people clog the way watching Talocan (actually they crowd the Talocan line as well so you can push past most of the people in the queue line as they are just there to watch the ride).

They need to ban smoking in the park now. There were so many people smoking and then leaving the butts everywhere. Which would help with the next problem, litter. It's noticeable there now. I mean it's still a million times better then Alton on a good day, but they need more cleaners now and get on top with the vandalism, which is a bit more noticeable.

But these are all problems from the teenagers that now come to go on Black Mamba and Talocan. Hopefully Movie Park can add a ride where you can smoke whilst on it and they will all go back there.

Finishing on a high note stayed in the Matamba which is really, really nice. I prefer Ling Bao but my other half prefers Matamba. The food was great, the rooms really nice and the mascot terrifying.

Basically PhantasiaLand is still awesome. So go there!

P.S. They've gotten rid of Sexual Harassment Panda and replaced it with a dragon called Wang.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post Aug 5 2009, 2:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Trev @ Aug 2 2009, 12:18 AM) *
If you've not been there yet go now, sod that trip to Europa.

I kind of agree with this. I did Europa a month back and whilst it is really really awesome, I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's the best park in Europe. Indeed, I had just as much fun at Phantasialand as I did at Europa Park. There seems to be a general opinion that it's Europa Park > Phantasialand, whereas I'd say they're about equal. So just thought I'd add my 2 cents and say that you can't really go wrong with a trip to either wink.gif

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post
Wez
post Aug 5 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Trev @ Aug 2 2009, 12:18 AM) *
They've gotten rid of Sexual Harassment Panda and replaced it with a dragon called Wang.

NOOOOOOOOOO! I remember our happy times with Sexual Harassment Panda.

Wang sounds pretty funny though tongue.gif

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Aug 5 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,120

Phantasialand's best stuff is better than EP's (mainly, say, theming on Mamba etc.)

But Phanta is tiny, too small - the hotels are sexy as but there's no carnival.... last time I was at PL the hotels were all FULL but the bars were dead!! And the bar in Matamba is dire - so regimented, poor drinks selection and no ambience. Compare with the likes of Mille Miglia, Buena Vista, El Circo at EP.

I went to PL in December and we were doing the park in an hour and a half. Winjas > Mystery Castle > Colorado > Mamba > Talocan > and round again.

I love it there but it's not big enough. EP has much more to do, way more shows, rides, hotels etc. etc.

Just my view though, I know ATA tends to lean more towards PL! PL is definitely a one day park but no more. I could happilly spend 3 days at EP and still not have done the lot.

There are reasons why EP gets double PL's visitors...

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AstroDan: Aug 5 2009, 10:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trev
post Aug 6 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (AstroDan @ Aug 5 2009, 11:16 PM) *
PL is definitely a one day park but no more. I could happilly spend 3 days at EP and still not have done the lot.

I'd agree, that there is more to do at Europa. In fact it's probably one of the few places that can genuinely claim you need more than one day there, even when it's quiet. The Disney resorts can also lay claim to that, but they have multiple parks!

Europa does have the dinosaur ride under Eurosat. So that counts for something. Shame they got rid of Baron Von Williams Mystery Hall.

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Aug 6 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 113

I love them both so I'm not going to get into the debate about which is better, my only regret is not visiting Phantasialand back in the day with the Schwarzkopf coasters, but thats life.

Visit them both biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 8:53 AM