Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lightwater Valley - 3 July
meames
post Jul 11 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

With money issues this year because of the trip to Florida in January, I never thought I would be seeing Lightwater Valley this year. A tounge in cheeck comment on Facebook seen by Lightwater Valley bagged me a ticket to go and ride my 200th roller coaster smile.gif

Anyway, I arrived at the Valley and very little has changed since my last visit - I think they need a grander entrance as you can simply drive by without noticing it, but the front of the park looks nice and tidy, the only thing letting it down is the burger van sitting there, but the little park needs to make money any which way it can, so we will let it off smile.gif

I had arranged to meet a member of the marketing department, who we did at the entrance and I was taken upto the new ride, Raptor Attack, before the park opened to the public. We stood outside the entrance for 10 minutes or so, getting to meet a few more members of staff, getting our photo taken outside the ride before finally being led down to the station for the 1st ride of the day.

They have done a cracking job to what was the Rat ride. Its the same roller coaster inside, a simple Wildcat, but any rollercoaster is more thrilling with the lights off! The tunnels leading down to the station have had mine shaft theming bolted to them, simulating going down into an old abandoned mine. A little further down there are dinosaur fossils on the walls which look really good. Finally, just before the station is a computer room with blood spatered all over.

The ride, as I say is exactly the same with the addition of Raptors throughout the ride. they are lit up at the last minute, and to my surprise actually move towards you, not on a simple rail, but their necks crane out - it looks really good!

Next up was the Ultimate. I was told that they are still trying to decide if to extend it or not. Apparantly if they did it would be the second half of the circuit, the bit which batters you half to death! I think that would be a mistake, I would have hoped they would do something with the first half - its kind of boring compared to the rest of the ride. Anyway, a really good ride, and well worth the pain it inflicts on you smile.gif

The park seems to have gone down the route of hiring fairground attractions recently. the River Rapids is a typical fairground ride with tacky lights all switched on! A couple of diesel generators scattered around the park supply the power to these temporary attractions, which can be a little nasty if you walk through the fumes. saying that, nobody else seemed to notice and the queues certainly seemed to show the popularity of these rides.

The Wave has had its waterfall fixed and looks really good sat there in its own little clearing, Eagles Claw, a KMG Afterburner has been joined by a Top Scan which is on a good setting, and the Toad Hole has been replaced with a Big Wheel. They have kept the old Toad Hole drop and it provides a bit of theming for the Big Wheel with a small river running underneath it.

Overall, its a nice little park who are trying their best to pull in a few pounds to build on their ride lineup - and in my opinion, as long as they don't extend the Ultimate and build something new, they are onto a winner. I look forward to re-visiting next year to re-ride Raptor Attack.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 8:54 AM