Seems to be working fine here?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddieh
post May 3 2008, 1:50 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,851

I've checked again and it doesn't seem to be working on my O2 Broadband connection which is strange. blink.gif The error message I get is 'server not found'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dyce3
post May 3 2008, 7:13 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 1,003

Towers Nerd's work on my side, pic.

+Quote Post
eddieh
post May 4 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 12,851

It must just be me then. sad.gif Sometimes it up for me and sometimes its down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post Oct 16 2008, 1:56 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 860

Just thought I'd let you all know about our live Scarefest coverage, here's a news item from our site that explains all:

Towers Nerd Live is our live coverage service which delivers text and photo updates direct from Alton Towers. So far, we've successfully delivered live updates from the Half Term Hullabaloo and 2008 Open Day.

We've worked to further improve our Towers Nerd Live system, and are pleased to announce that we will now be offering video clips alongside our photo and text updates. As well as this, members of our community will be able to discuss the updates with our new comments panel.

To tune in to our Scarefest coverage on 17th October, simply visit the Towers Nerd Live page - here. The page will automatically refresh every 30 seconds, delivering the text, image and video updates directly from the park. Coverage will begin at approximately 10:00am, running right throughout the evening as we try out all of the mazes and other Halloween offerings!

Also in the spirit of Halloween, we've just added a Duel ride simulator which you can check out here smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post May 13 2009, 9:40 PM
Post #66

Yesterday a new application for the iPhone and iPod touch was released which helps you to make the most out of your day at Alton Towers.

QUOTE (TowersNerd.com)
Towers Guide was an idea originally thought up back in June 2008, right after the launch of the iPhone 3G. The fact that the device had the capabilities of communicating with the Internet and knowing your exact location was very exciting and we knew that these technologies could be put together to provide a really nice app for theme park goers.

We started work on the app in August 2008, and today, 9 months on, it's available in the iTunes App Store.

So, what does Towers Guide do? It allows you to:

- Browse through all rides, attractions and facilities at Alton Towers.
- Display the rides, attractions and facilities which are nearest to you.
- Get intelligent directions to any ride, attraction or facility.
- View detailed statistics on all of Alton Towers' rides.
- View the height restrictions for all rides and attractions.
- View what services a ride or attraction offers (e.g. on-ride photos).
- Be kept up to date, with park data automatically updated wirelessly.

To find out more and to download it for free, visit the Towers Guide website.

We are really excited about this and already have tonnes of features which we can't wait to implement. You can keep checking the Towers Guide Blog for previews on what's coming up.

If any of you are in a position to try it out, we'd love to hear what you think of it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post May 15 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #67

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Yeah, that sounds really really useful!! In fact, why don't Alton Towers distribute a paper guide on entry with that informa... oh wait they do.

This post has been edited by WillPS: May 15 2009, 1:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post May 15 2009, 7:27 AM
Post #68

laugh.gif Thanks for that...

Well, for the record we think it has a number of advantages. It's much more detailed and it'll display everything around you and give you an idea of how far away it is, something which is hard to determine from the map. Also, if you've never been to Alton Towers before, you're likely to get your map out without really knowing where you are.

Plus, if you're desperate for the toilet or something, quickly finding out where the nearest one is couldn't be easier - and may save you some embarrassment.

If that isn't enough for you, it'll save the world! It's 'greener' than taking a paper map anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
meames
post May 15 2009, 9:54 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 11

...also, maps get damaged easily, lost etc so I do think that this is a good idea, anything which saves paper and therefore the Towers money can't be a bad thing smile.gif

On the negative side its on the iPhone and I don't like apple products.....I'm in the microsoft fan boi camp smile.gif

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
WillPS
post May 15 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #70

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Call me a sceptic, but I don't foresee anybody who hasn't been to Alton Towers before downloading an app for their iPhone before heading off. I don't want to knock your point on its environmental friendlyness, but whenever I go to Alton Towers I get a map (or three or four more often) - there's obviously nothing on there I don't really know but it's part of my day and I expect it is everyone elses. Hell, they give you one without asking at admission!

I'm also inclined to believe that all or most economies made on park are likely to line the pockets of Merlin rather than benefit every day guests.

EDIT: a good idea which would actually be useful would be some way of integrating public transport links with it; get a copy of Alton Towers Transport's timetables and train times from Uttoxeter - that could be useful!

This post has been edited by WillPS: May 15 2009, 10:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post May 15 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #71

QUOTE (WillPS @ May 15 2009, 11:19 AM) *
Call me a sceptic, but I don't foresee anybody who hasn't been to Alton Towers before downloading an app for their iPhone before heading off.

We've been quite surprised at the number of downloads the app has received within it's first 3 days, especially considering its somewhat niche market - it's surpassed our expectations. I think the fact that it's sitting as the 23rd most popular free app in the Travel section of the store at the moment will help it's popularity. People do just browse around the store, and if they see something which may be useful to them they'll download it - especially if it's free! So I think we will gain downloads from 'every day' visitors to the park.

QUOTE (WillPS @ May 15 2009, 11:19 AM) *
EDIT: a good idea which would actually be useful would be some way of integrating public transport links with it; get a copy of Alton Towers Transport's timetables and train times from Uttoxeter - that could be useful!

Thanks for the feedback, that's an idea worth looking into smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post May 15 2009, 3:28 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 1,363

Hi mate, i think you have had a little hard time on this App. I've just download it, first impressions, very simple layout, and very simple to use. I clicked on Nemesis just to see what info there is. I'm not sure how much use this has for a non fan boy......as im sure people would not care who made it but it has some stats on the rides etc. I will give it a proper test next time I'm at Alton but good on you for doing something like this.

The other thing i like on a personal level is the fact you can pose with your Iphone and go "let me see how close that is".. God i love the Iphone.

Good on you mate. I get loads of free applications on my iphone that i think i might use once, the spirtlevel one for example.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
Locker
post Jun 16 2009, 9:31 AM
Post #73

Just to keep you all up to date, here's the latest blog entry from the Towers Guide Blog:

Last Wednesday Towers Guide received it's 1,000th download from the App Store. We're really pleased with this, and are working hard to finish off version 1.1 which we hope to make available by the end of July.

There's been quite a lot to report since the last blog entry. First of all, we're incorporating more features into our next version. As well as multiple entrance support and integrated search, we're really excited to announce 'nearby' and 'directions' support for the original iPhone and iPod touch!

So, how exactly will that work? Well, when you're on park you're always going to be able to identify something near to you. Ride and shop signs are always visible, so you simply tell Towers Guide where you are. Once you've done that the location based features are instantly made available - and you can easily change your current location at any time with the tap of an 'Edit' button!

To enable this feature, all you will need to do is turn on 'Manual Locations' in your application's settings:

Once you've done that the Nearby screen will look something like this:

You'll be able to select the item you're close to from a searchable list. We wanted something which wouldn't get in the way of people with a GPS capable device but could be easily enabled for those who need it. We think this is the best solution, and can't wait for our many iPod touch users to try it out!

We've also been making sure that version 1.1 is compatible with the new iPhone OS 3.0. In fact, it's still compatible with every version of iPhone OS that supports third party apps (2.0+)!

Finally, we've been working on another App alongside Towers Guide and require some beta testers to help us iron out any remaining issues. The only catch is that you must be able to visit either Thorpe Park, Chessington world of Adventures or Drayton Manor. So, if you have an iPhone or iPod touch and can visit one of these parks soon, please get in touch!

With regards to the final paragraph, if anyone here feels like they may be able to help feel free to drop me a PM.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post Aug 3 2009, 9:12 AM
Post #74

Towers Guide version 1.1 has been released today! Here's the news item from Towers Nerd which covers the new features:

We announced the launch of Towers Guide back in May and since then we've been working on a number of improvements. Version 1.1 of the app boasts two new features - search and manual locations.

Search allows you to perform a text based search through all of the rides, attractions & facilities at Alton Towers. This makes it even easier to quickly locate the information you want.

Manual Locations allows location based features to be used when a GPS signal is not available. This makes it ideal for iPod touch and first generation iPhone users, who can now take full advantage of the app.

You can download Towers Guide from the iTunes app store. To keep up to date with what exciting things we're working on next keep visiting the Towers Guide Blog.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions, feedback is always appreciated smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 7:14 PM