Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sheffield Hallam Accommodation
WillPS
post Jan 14 2008, 2:10 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

As I recall there are a couple of people on here who go or have been to Sheffield Hallam... would anybody be able to reccommend or review any of the accommodoation they offer?

I've just received my conditional offer (whoop whooop!), and I've shortlisted these few but they're by no means set in stone:
The Courtyard
Hilary House
Liberty House*
Liberty Works*
The Marples
Moorhead House
The Old Bank
Park House
Phoenix Court
Summerfield Street
The Trigon*
Wesley House

Those with an asterix are probably less likely as they're more pricey, but I was quite taken by them so at a push I could probably go with them. I'll be studying Web Information and Systems at the City Campus if it matters.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jan 14 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #2

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Ahh, WIS. I know it well. Have fun in the final year, I wrote/will be writing some of the teaching material laugh.gif In spite of that, it's a very good course, especially with the placement year, so you made a good choice there.

As for accomodation I've visited/slept on floor of;

Liberty House - This one is alright, nearby Uni, and very close to a Sainsburys Local.

Liberty Works - This one is next door to the above. Rooms are a decent size as above, but walls are paper thin!

The Marples - Avoid! While in a good location, the place isn't nice at all.

Moorhead House - Errr... surprised they're still advertising this one, given the building is earmarked to be demolished before the end of your tenancy agreement!

Phoenix Court - This one is alright, Stones throw from the biggest rock club in Sheffield, and one of the best pubs in the North!

The Trigon - I haven't been here personally, but it is supposed to be good.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 14 2008, 4:27 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

How odd... they're definitely advertising it, they've got the 2008/9 rent on the website, are you sure it's not Summer 2009 it'll be demolished?

In any case, I think that says enough about the place so I'll score that one off the list, along with The Marples. Thanks a lot dude smile.gif!

This post has been edited by WillPS: Jan 14 2008, 4:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
haunted one
post Jan 14 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 711

I went to Sheffield Hallam Uni, but I was at the collegiate campus, however I live near by so didn't actually have to rent accommodation. One thing I would say is try to find the nearest place to your campus because the traffic in the centre can be terrible, so getting about to lectures can be stressful. There are some great pubs though.

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jan 14 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 761

I stayed at a Liberty run place in Leeds one night. The staff were right harsh! They generally have a 1 guest only rule, and stick to it like chewing gum to Rik Waller's shoe. So if a little rebellion is welcome, don't go to a Liberty place (my 2 pence worth).

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jan 14 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Yeah, Liberty Works have the same rule in Sheffield. But, if you become pally with the security bloke its usually waived!

QUOTE (WillPS @ Jan 14 2008, 04:27 PM) *
How odd... they're definitely advertising it, they've got the 2008/9 rent on the website, are you sure it's not Summer 2009 it'll be demolished?

Yeah, the McDonalds downstairs was closed over 18 months ago, along with all the shops on that row. The new building going there is supposed to be open in January 2010.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
John
post Jan 17 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 375

I live at a Liberty managed property. We do have a guestbook. It's never used, or required, and the guards are rarely arsed about who or who doesn't come in. If you're smuggling in a particularly large group of cool young cats or sassy lady friends, as I so regularly do for one of my coveted, exclusive flat lounge parties, you can just wait until the large Jurassic Park style gates open, and leg it in.

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Jan 17 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

John Hammond: All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked, nothing.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: But, John. But if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourist.

If only... :crying:

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jan 21 2008, 1:43 AM
Post #9

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

On a related note, well done to Will for winning £25 of iTunes vouchers from SHU already! The university that keeps on giving wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 21 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Cheers Rob! I've not done too badly out of SHU really, on top of those vouchers I've discovered I'm entitled to a £300 'access' bursary just because I come from New College Nottingham! Woohoo!

I'm completely psyched about starting now... I've put The Trigon and Pheonix Court on my application form and I just need one more. Considering Bramall Court, any opinions on that one?

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jan 21 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #11

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Bramall Court is in a decent location, but is very easy to break into sadly. You can release the door catch by putting your hand into the letterboxes, this meant someone I know stole all the kettles from the kitchens tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Mar 20 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Just a quick update on all this, RPG being the star he is tipped me off about a new development called The Pinnacles in Sheffield... double bed, leather furnishings, Sky TV, broadband all for £75/week... had to check it out so me and a friend went to Sheffield to have a look today.

Well, I'm signed up, just need to pay my deposit.

As an aside, I'm absolutely in love with Sheffield. It's being _PROPERLY_ regenerated (unlike Nottingham), and whatsmore, I wondered around the city for about 2 or 3 hours in the evening and didn't feel at all threatened. The fountains outside the station are absolutely stunning by night.

Completely psyched about moving, can't wait for September to come smile.gif.

Facebook album link: click

This post has been edited by WillPS: Mar 20 2008, 12:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
John
post Mar 20 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 375

QUOTE (WillPS @ Mar 20 2008, 12:02 AM) *
The fountains outside the station are absolutely stunning by night.

Just wait till' you take a drunken fresher's slash in them!

As an aside, that accomodation sounds completely amazing, especially at that price, especially considering what I paid first year. Hell, my new little house out of town is about the same price! Then again, I hope you like kitchen sharing. And strangers. Drunken, uncaring strangers you're forced to spend time with. And tidying up. And I hope the walls are thick.

Nah, seriously it'll be awesome. smile.gif

for 3 weeks.

This post has been edited by John: Mar 20 2008, 12:10 AM

+Quote Post
Dan
post Mar 20 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #14

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

You'll need to share the public link for that album if you want us to see it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Mar 20 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Dan @ Mar 20 2008, 12:09 AM) *

You'll need to share the public link for that album if you want us to see it!

Cheers for the heads up, done!

QUOTE (John @ Mar 20 2008, 12:08 AM) *
The fountains outside the station are absolutely stunning by night.

Just wait till' you take a drunken fresher's slash in them!

As an aside, that accomodation sounds completely amazing, especially at that price, especially considering what I paid first year. Hell, my new little house out of town is about the same price! Then again, I hope you like kitchen sharing. And strangers. Drunken, uncaring strangers you're forced to spend time with. And tidying up. And I hope the walls are thick.

Nah, seriously it'll be awesome. smile.gif

for 3 weeks.

Already in the works. There was a little island in the middle of the fountains, ideas! I'm hoping we'll be sharing with girls, but apparently they allocate based on your course, so phat chance really.

This post has been edited by WillPS: Mar 20 2008, 12:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 23 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #16

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

This is the fountain Will speaks of;

and from the other side;

As for the regeneration, this is what it'll look like in 2012;

Few tips for you though Will;
  • rolls, baps, etc. are called Breadcakes. Any deviation from this will result in confusion and/or the wrong dinner.
  • Gravy is a staple diet of the entire populous.
  • Le* & P*rrings is a swearword. Only Hendersons Relish is acceptable.
  • Cut your hair, you'll get called a "bloody hippy" or a "goffick" depending on the side of town you're at.
  • Strangers will call you love, duck or petal. Its fine, even the 20 stone bruisers get called it.
  • There is only one Football team, and that is Sheffield Wednesday.
  • You must queue at bus stops, if you don't you will get attacked by old women with umbrellas.
I'm sure I'll think of more at some point wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Mar 23 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

The pretty fountains are going? Wow, the ones in blue weren't working when I was there... looks even cooler with that.

Breadcakes, gotcha!

I only like Swedish gravy, can't be doing with this watery stuff.

Love, duck and petal all extend down here so that'll be fine.

I have to pay attention to football? sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 23 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #18

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

You certainly have to pay attention to the football, you're blue or a red (red is bad) and nothing inbetween.

Also, its worth noting that the War of the Roses is still being fought. You will come to hate anyone of Lancastarian descent.

(ps, no the fountains aren't going, that pic is from near where John Lewis is now. That's going.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sonicmunkygirl
post May 2 2008, 2:38 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,850

QUOTE (RPG @ Mar 23 2008, 12:34 AM) *
You certainly have to pay attention to the football, you're blue or a red (red is bad) and nothing inbetween.

Boooo!!! Red and White is the Way to go wink.gif !

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Mar 25 2011, 9:24 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (fangugg @ Mar 25 2011, 6:32 AM) *
Sunday, 49 people in London, San Francisco, the first 4 games of the NFL regular season 24-16 2010 super bowl jerseys[/url] market hard.”

I miss Sheffield too dude.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 8:38 PM