Reply to this topicStart new topic
Weight Restrictions
fupping
post Jul 21 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,013

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the weight restrictions are on the rides at Alton Towers?

My chest size is about 54".

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrexham fan
post Jul 21 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Official ATA Bog Cleaner
Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 2

Over The Shoulder Restraints (OTSR) on B&M coasters (Nemesis & Oblivion) generally will accommodate guests with a chest measurement of up to 52". For larger people in general with a chest measurement of 52" then you may be hard pressed to fit in comfortably, if at all. There's no weight restriction as such...but athe average weight for a person with a 52" chest is about 20 stone.

Air is a different matter...a 50" chest is about the maximum that you can fit into it, and if you have bulky legs then you have no chance!

Spinball has 'kind of' removed the weight restriction, but you must be able to get 4 clicks out of the restraint to be able to ride.

I have about a 50-52" chest, I can ride Nemesis comfortably in the wide-boy seat, and can now happily once again ride in the standard seats.
Oblivion has to be wide-boy seat as the restraints are bulkier.
Rita - doable...need a shove off an assistant, but once it's down, I have space...odd.
Air - no chance.
Corkscrew - fine.
Beastie - fine(ish)
Ripsaw - No chance.
Submission - Haven't tried, but I wont fit!

Oh, and welcome to ATA! smile.gif

+Quote Post
phi11ip
post Jul 21 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (wrexham fan @ Jul 21 2007, 11:20 PM) *
Rita - doable...need a shove off an assistant, but once it's down, I have space...odd.

If it goes down then you're fine, it's just when you see two assistants pushing as hard as possible, yet still failing miserably, that you start to feel sorry for the poor person as they get up and begin the walk of shame.

+Quote Post
fupping
post Jul 23 2007, 8:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,013

I know i am too big and i am currently doing something about it, but i don't suppose anyone has a couple of tips to shed a couple of inches quickly off the chest? I'm going in two weeks time.

I measured my chest yesterday and the measurement was 49", but i don't know if i am measuring it correctly because i went to alton towers about a year ago and couldn't get on anything and don't think i've lost any weight, if anything i've put weight on.

+Quote Post
wrexham fan
post Jul 23 2007, 3:00 PM
Post #5

Official ATA Bog Cleaner
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

One tip...which I use myself for squeezing on to rides is to only wear one layer of clothing on my shoulders...seems crazy, but a layer less makes all the difference! If you have to wear a jacket, then unzip it before you sit in the seat smile.gif

Both of the above sound stupid, but they really work!

+Quote Post
Clara
post Aug 18 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,658

on most of the rides you can "try before you ride" the seats. this helps you because if you dnt feel comfy you wont waste your time queueing for something you you wnt enjoy because you will be worring about fiiting in the seat.

hope this helps anyone,

clara x

--------------------
31st October 2oo8; My Scarefest Adventure

+Quote Post
marko
post Feb 6 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,846

Spinball Whizzer - "Riders must weigh no more than 110kg / 17.5 stone

Since when? Im more than that and they let me on last year

Also isnt that weight restriction due to an accident on a similar ride somwhere in the world which was due to the car being too heavy?

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Feb 6 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

Yeah it is something to do with that, I forget exactly what, maybe someone else will elaborate.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
marko
post Feb 6 2008, 7:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,846

I know staff cant check everyone, but they never asked me if i was under the weight (the restraints did fasten tightly tho) so its not managed very well. Although i guess most rides if you fit in the seat and everything fastens, its ok?

I do like this ride, so should i just go on it anyway? They dont seem to care. Last year there was this women trying to get on and not meaning to sound cruel, there was no way she would. She had problems walking, and was clearly over the weight limit yet they still tried to get her on

Infact thinking about it the last time i went it was 2 per car. Have they changed that rule yet?

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Feb 6 2008, 8:46 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

I think they have gone back to four per car, or three. Either way, I am sure there was some new restriction where the restraint had to be pushed down most clicks onto the person, if it was less than that, as in say only two clicks down, the person would have to get off, again weight restrictions.
Dunno if that has stopped or not.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
Coaster_Dude
post Apr 12 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 946

I think they make it up as they go along on Spinball, when I went a while back they were doing 4 per car until it started raining (barely) when they put 2 in a car. Wierd. The weight restriction is possibly because all of the weight of the car will be focussed on the one central bearing that allows the cars to spin, doesn't explain why rain apparently affects it though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Apr 13 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #12

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Spinball is currently operating with a maximum of 3 adults per car in rain/snow conditions, however this tends to end up as 2 per car with most people being in even numbered groups! smile.gif Everything goes a bit faster in the rain due to the reduced friction on wet surfaces.

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Apr 14 2008, 1:21 PM
Post #13

Photographer
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 94

They also have to have a manager authorise them to drop out of wet operation, and that's annoying when they can't find one or forget. </rant> On the plus side the wet operation is good for single riders.

--------------------
Tom Bannister
ATA Site Photographer

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

+Quote Post
Dyl123
post Jul 16 2010, 1:02 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,904

Hi, I recently went to Alton Towers and i have a about a 46" chest.
Rita was an easy fit with no worries there.
Oblivian was tight any bigger than a 46" you would be having problems, the safety strap just about went in to the holder.
Nemesis is fine it say's before on a sign chests bigger than 52" may have a problem, but there are wider seats in a certain row i think its the 4 row's back of every cart but if you point out to the staff anyway they will simply swap rows so that your in the bigger seat.
Air I just about fitted with a bit of a push, but before hand there is a seat with a member off staff by it were you can go over and try you cant miss it its at the start of the que but when i done it he didnt check if it could lock in so for anyone alse make sure it can lock in first.

Hope this helps Guys. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kez
post Jul 21 2010, 7:03 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,908

Hi i went to alton towers yesterday, i was a bit nervous when i went due to being large. I weigh 17.10, bout 112kg. I have to say that i didnt experiance many problems with the rides.

Air was fine, snug fit but no problems there
nemesis was fine aswell
went on ripsaw twice, first time was not a problem, second time the attendant had to ask me to pull down slightly which i only just managed
went on 13, that was fine and comfortable
oblivion was not a problem and went on the spinball, an attendant had to push the bar down a fair bit but managed - was fairly tight though.

hope this helps.

+Quote Post
medion
post May 19 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 29,854

Hello all!

It's been a while since this topic has been written in but I'm sure this information would prove valuable to those in the same boat as I was in smile.gif

After reading on line as I'm sure any bigger person like myself would, I was a bit nervous about fitting into some of the seats on the rides, but I figured I'd try to get on them all anyway tongue.gif

I'm a bigger chap, went to Alton Towers and here is my experience of some of the rides!
I'd say im about a 49 inch chest.

Here is a list of the rides and the outcomes for me!

Nemesis - Went on this 3 times, first time I was on the front row, managed to squeeze in with the help of a friend pushing down hard on the bars we managed to get the buckle in. Second time I was politely asked by the young lad there if I could move to row 4, which has the bigger seats on and that was much more comfortable and closed with room to spare. Third time I made a beeline for the 4th row bigger seat straight away, I would say an even bigger person could fit in that seat as I had plenty of room.

Air - Tried the tester seat with a friend, we managed to get it down we thought enough, however when it came to the actual ride, the Attendant was unable to get it down a satisfied amount so he politely informed me I couldn't ride. He then informed me that Nemesis and Oblivion had larger seats that could accommodate me. My first walk of shame.

The Blade - No problems here, the bar came down a little tight, but that's to be expected for a person with a big belly like myself.

Thirteen - Got in fine, the bar came down just fine, an attendant came and asked if it was alright to give me a little extra push so that the safety system was satisfied so he did and all was well, It wasn't even uncomfortable.

Enterprise - No problem at all here, I imagine most people could get on here without an issue.

Oblivion - Having been told by the chap on Air about the bigger seats here, It was just a matter of asking an attendant, Unlike Nemesis which has a bigger seat on every 4th row, It appears that for some reason Oblivion isn't the same, The bigger seats are only on some of the carriages and the ones that have them they are on the front row 4th seat in. You just need to mention to an assistant that you require one and he'll call you and whoever you're with up and one arrives. you'll take priority over the other riders it seems as well, to get the bigger seat I mean. And once in the bigger seat it was plenty big enough which much more room.

Rita - again, the tester seat proved to not be quite right. After queuing (albeit not for that long) when we got up to the ride the assistant just couldn't get the bar down and thus began my second walk of shame.

Ripsaw - Yet another ride that couldn't accommodate me, however the assistant quietly informed me before I walked up to get on the ride that it would not, I thanked him and he opened a side gate for me to avoid any embarrassed. I can imagine that the fact that this particular ride is so much on display, a lot of people would be seeing you if you couldn't fit and were asked to get off. On an extra note, even my friends who aren't even overweight said it was a very uncomfortable ride and very tight restraints. This would probably explain the lack of a queue.

Submission - I fit in it, only with a massive push from a bigger and stronger than usual attendant. It was pretty damn tight though and the ride itself really wasn't comfortable, my shoulders were in a bit of pain! but like Ripsaw, that's apparently the norm for most people, again pertaining to the lack of queue for this ride.

Sonic Spinball - My third and final walk of shame. The restraint would simply not go down enough to satisfy the attendant and I was politely informed that I'd need to get out. Had the ride not broken down and stopped several times resulting in an hours queue time I'm sure I wouldn't have been that bothered!

As for all of the other rides (The Flume, Congo River Rapids, Runaway Mine Train etc). You'll have no problem fitting into any of them if you're a larger person.

So there you have it, just a little guide for any bigger people who are nervous about this kind of thing on these rides. I have to mention though that the attendants were all very polite and did try their best to accommodate me into the rides and always quietly informed me of any bad news. so props to them. Oh and if you're trying to force yourself into a normal Nemesis seat, do take care when trying to force in the metal buckle, the corners are a bit sharp and unforgiving.

So! Oblivion, ask for the bigger seat, front row 4th seat in (not on every carriage). Nemesis just get in row 4 and make use of the bigger seat. Avoid Air, Rita and Ripsaw if you have any doubts at all.

I hope my words are of some use to some of the folk out there. I know where I'll be going once I lose weight as although I enjoyed myself immensely yesterday, it's my fault I couldn't take part in everything this wonderful place had to offer. Now if only they could sort the prices out once you're in the park ;-)

+Quote Post
farmergrid
post May 28 2011, 7:24 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 31,103

Hi
Thanks for the information Medion - I am dreading going and having to do the walk of shame but I now have renewed optimism that I can ride on some of the rides.
Alton Towers here I come well in 2 weeks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 4:32 PM