Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thirteen event Details 19/6/2010, Details Taken From TowersTimes
cookiee_munster
post Jun 27 2010, 7:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

As TowersTimes have reported, i totally would have missed this if i hadn't actually gone over to the site (which i dont do all that often. maybe i should? cool.gif )

June 19th 2010 : Alton Towers past, present future and SW7!

The event kicked off with talks given by Sales and Marketing Director Morwenna Angove and later by John Wardley. As well as talking about past and current attractions such as Nemesis and Th13teen, the park also touched on what we're likely to see in future. We've listed a lowdown of the main points which were discussed:

Th13teen

*The planning of Th13teen was extremely complex as the ride and it's foundations needed to carefully negotiate trees and their roots around the ride's footprint.
*The ride's drop was fully built and tested under complete secrecy in Budapest. A video was also shown showing senior team members from Alton Towers testing the drop before it was dismantled and shipped to the UK.
*The ride was always intended to be a family ride, with no aim to create a ride solely for the thrill market.
*The ride's recent issues with lifthill stoppages was confirmed to be due to the varying weights of the trains, resulting in the trim brakes being installed.
*Th13teen's current capacity is hitting 1440 people per hour.
*And finally, putting to bed recent rumours since the ride opened, the park has confirmed that no further effects are to be added to the vault.

Cross Valley Wooden Coaster

*Some readers may remember the plans for a cross valley wooden coaster. These were submitted but later withdrawn by the park. There were various rumours circulating about what had happened to the plans.
*From a marketing perspective, a wooden coaster was determined to be unsuitable for the park. Surveys have shown that a large number of people perceive these rides to seem unsafe, therefore any wooden coaster at the park is considered to be highly unlikely.
*Should the ride have been built, it would have had the highest drops of a wooden coaster anywhere in the world.
*The park are always looking at the possibility of utilising the valley, even with a steel coaster. However, planning problems would be a major issue.

Future Attractions

*Initial planning for SW7 is set to kick off in three weeks time, with an aim for the attraction opening in 2013 or most likely 2014.
*2011 will be a year where Alton Towers will concentrate on Families, however there was no confirmation on what new attractions (if any) this would involve.
*The park are looking at the possibility of an attraction in the Black Hole tend in 2012. If this is not possible, then any additions would be unlikely until after SW7.
*It was also confirmed that contrary to recent rumours circulating, Nemesis is currently at no risk of leaving the park any time soon.
Attendees of the event are also being given behind the scenes guided tours of Hex behind the scenes, and later of Th13teen.

TowersTimes have also uploaded three videos on their cool little Thirteen site. General talk with John Wardley and Morwenna about Thirteen, The creation of nemesis, and questions and answers with the pair smile.gif

>>>CLICKETY CLICK<<<

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jun 27 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Further proof that Alton Towers is run by marketing/Morwenna. There's no chance of them taking a real risk any more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 28 2010, 8:18 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 870

Yawn, Alton needs to be careful not to lose its thrill seeker market here. They already have chessington for families, we dont need even more boring family rides, SW7 has to be a white knuckle ride to keep a variety of guests attending, unless of course all AT wants is families going there in the future and no one else, which in my opinion will be a big mistake.

+Quote Post
chapmanmania
post Jun 28 2010, 8:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,800

Morwenna said that current plans for SW7 are for it to be a 1.4metre height restriction, but there will be an emphasis on the family area for next years addition.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark9
post Jun 28 2010, 2:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 281

They have Chessington for families but thats what, almost 200 miles away? You aren't being serious with that are you Garyholc?

On the thrill side, Thrillseekers had it very good in the 90's and in the financial times at the moment, fmaily rides are technically cheaper (ignoring the overhyped, rounded up figure of Th13teen). I'd love for them to build a B&M floorless (one of my favourite types of rides) but it just ain't gonna happen really.

As for Nemesis rumours.. where the hell did that come from. Are they serious?

--------------------

I find your lack of Christmas spirit disturbing.
In memory of Ross Power- March 29th 1990 - February 4th 2006

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 28 2010, 2:17 PM
Post #6

200 miles away from what? You? Your house? Chessington isnt 200 miles away from someone living in Sussex for example.

BTW - if Alton always intended 13 to be a family ride, what the hell were marketing doing advertising it as a white knuckle physcocoaster ride?

+Quote Post
mark9
post Jun 28 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 281

Alton Towers was what I was referring to. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

This post has been edited by mark9: Jun 28 2010, 3:48 PM

--------------------

I find your lack of Christmas spirit disturbing.
In memory of Ross Power- March 29th 1990 - February 4th 2006

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 28 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #8

Just watched the video, very interesting.

The good news is that SW7 is going to be a white knuckle ride. Now that is good news smile.gif

+Quote Post
Coaster_Dude
post Jun 28 2010, 9:31 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 946

I thought those videos were really interesting, would have loved to attend.

It is annoying that everything has to be proven that it would be successful before any money is spent on it, a cross valley woodie would be amazing but I completely understand the problems that exist, nice to hear that they're on our side in that they'd love one as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Jun 29 2010, 6:50 AM
Post #10

i just really hope that the next rollercoaster is a lot more innovative and less gimmicky like thirteen seemed to turn out to be.
i really really hope that the designers don't use the valley for this new ride, and instead use existing land within the park (without replacing any other rides)
Looking at that long term development plan, there seem to be three possible areas for putting a coaster in? they look like:
a) The Valley?
b ) where theirteen now is?
c) where coaster corner used to be, a long long time ago???

am i right?

This post has been edited by cookiee_munster: Jun 29 2010, 6:57 AM

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 29 2010, 8:24 AM
Post #11

Yes your right, though I think the land by 13 has all been used up. As much as I would love to see a woodie I also dont want them to use up the land along the cross valley.

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Jun 29 2010, 8:58 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (garyholc @ Jun 29 2010, 9:24 AM) *
Yes your right, though I think the land by 13 has all been used up. As much as I would love to see a woodie I also dont want them to use up the land along the cross valley.

i think for me, its the fact that they really could utilise what space they have in the park without having to go into *new* un-spoilt areas. the charm that the park has is that its all set within a park, within woodland etc. i think it creates that air of mystery, the fact that they cant build above tree height is a godsend, mainly because the designers have had to use their ingenuity to create something thrilling that isnt sticking right up in the air and thus keeping that hidden/secret flair.

so, as you pointed out, the land where thirteen is, is now taken up. leaving two areas left according to the long term development plan;

The Valley (noooo please don't!)

or

(the once) Coaster Corner EDIT - but... isnt this behind cloud cookoo land? if so, i couldn't see them joining on a white knuckle ride into this area? but, i also couldn't see them creating a new land for it either?

*thinks* hmm...

This post has been edited by cookiee_munster: Jun 29 2010, 9:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
JoshC.
post Jun 29 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,206

QUOTE (garyholc @ Jun 28 2010, 3:17 PM) *
BTW - if Alton always intended 13 to be a family ride, what the hell were marketing doing advertising it as a white knuckle physcocoaster ride?

I think by family ride, it is meant for the actual intensity, layout, etc. The marketing was to bring crowds in and nothing more.

2011 is meant to be a family ride of some sort, and 2012 is meant to be a slightly more thrilling family ride. 2013 is planned as a blank year in preparation for SW7 in 2014.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 6:31 PM