Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Camelot & Blackpool Pleasure Beach, 6/7 June
meames
post Jun 13 2010, 5:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Using our Tesco Clubcard vouchers we had free entry to Camelot and Blackpool, so a 35 Travel Lodge B&B made this a very cheap trip.

First stop was Camelot. Havn't been here for a couple of years, and last time I went I was very disappointed, in fact the only thing I was upset about when it closed down temporarily was the loss of Knightmare which I hadn't ridden.

The entrance is still OK - the pay booth is very old fashioned and could do with a bit of sprucing up. The Go Kart track next to the entrance shouldn't be there in my opinion - they try and give this medievil (or however you spell that) feel about the place then have petrol go karts as you enter.

A knight was at the entrance greeting people which was a nice touch. The large castle looked very clean, but there was a dragon next to it which moved and talked which could do with a bit of TLC.

Straight off to Knightmare, which we were told that didn't open for another hour - in fact most of the rides didn't open till 11 - not that we could find that our before getting all the way over the other side of the park, so back to the only area open, which was the area with Pendragon Falls water slide. Had a go on the Dragon Flyer which is still awesome, I really wan to drive that thing! Getting bugged by games stalls to win an oversized orange fish wasn't something I enjoyed, but it wasnt long and Knightmare was open.

The ride looks so ugly - the supports going off above the track ending supporting nothing, I presume that was for the old themeing in Japan. I am also sure there is an old road sign attached to it still that has been half cut off. All this is forgiven after riding - the ride is brilliant. The 1st drop is nothing special, but leads into a turn around leading to a brake run. The 2nd drop is something else - an almost vertical twist diving down towards the ground. The rest of the ride doesn't let up, it keeps its speed, darting between supports.

Overall, the park still needs a lot of work. I was upset to see that the Rack has now gone, the park needs more thrill rides. Saying this, we had a much better time this time around with Daniel being able to ride the smaller bits and bobs. I would love to see this park get better - there is so much you can do. The inside of the castle is a wasted oportunity for a good dark ride. A couple of new flat rides to the top end of the park wouldn't go amiss. I would also love to see the little village they have which is falling to bits developed into a proper little town with a couple of actors 'living' in the houses, I think there is even a chance for a BBQ thing down there to make some cash out of it.

Anyway, the day after we went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Being a school day the park was very quiet. The park opened at 10am, but most of the rides were closed until 11am, some even 12. I was disappointed to see the Big Dipper closed, as I was looking forward to it, but oh well. The Gold Mine was also closed, which I presume was going to be removed or changed, but it does seem to be re-opening at some point. The usual rides were done, the Big One, Steeplechase, Nash.....along with some smaller ones I hadn't been on before, all thanks to the young meames smile.gif

There is a lot of building work going on int he old Log Flume pool, I presume this is where the near Twist and Splash thingy will be next year.

In all, the park offers some good rides, nothing outstanding, but worth a ride every now and then. I can't believe the season ticket prices for the Pleasure Beach - 40 just to get in for a year, its a real shame its not free to get in any more, they have lost my mum, dad, sister and grand parents custom when we go now - I hope the amount of money they make charging for entry makes up for the lost money on sweets, drinks, merchandise and food. The park atmosphere was good, there were very few people on park that day, no queues and non of the usual Blackpool drunk rabble. I don't really get the area with the dancing fountains in - the fountains are OK, I would have prefered to see a ride there, but those cafe's surrounding it - are they trying to be modern and now, cos I don't get it and think they look awful. Maybe somewhere for my mum to eat, but she won't be able to find out any more!

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jun 13 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Nice report. I did the same thing almost exactly a year before (trip report)!

I really think it's time Amanda stopped playing with the Pleasure Beach and just bloody sold it to Parque Reunidos.

--------------------

+Quote Post
meames
post Jun 13 2010, 8:16 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

One interesting thing I did notice - the hand full of vouchers you get on entry for the shows and what not, one is now BOGOF for the Sea Life Centre - just wondered if she is getting in with Merlin in readiness for the takeover of the town centre.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jun 14 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

I've noticed Blackpool SeaLife's Twitter feed has had stuff to do with Pleasure Beach on it too. I suspect they've got a long standing agreement from before the Tussauds take over?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 2:51 PM