Reply to this topicStart new topic
Que?, *dullness*
Zippy
post Nov 5 2009, 8:34 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 18

I do agree that Facebook etc has detracted from the community on the forum. In the old days we would have events posted on the forum, nowdays an ATA meet up is just a facebook event that happens to have been posted by an ATA member.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Nov 5 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

too much politics on here thesedays and too many people with their heads stuck soooo far up their own backsides it would take them at least a year before they could find their way back to daylight hence a lot of people dont like posting anything on here anymore.

+Quote Post
KatieAlmighty
post Nov 6 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 14,269

QUOTE (garyholc @ Nov 5 2009, 11:54 PM) *
too much politics on here thesedays and too many people with their heads stuck soooo far up their own backsides it would take them at least a year before they could find their way back to daylight hence a lot of people dont like posting anything on here anymore.

My point exactly.

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Nov 6 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE (KatieAlmighty @ Nov 6 2009, 7:30 PM) *

My point exactly.

I disagree. There are probally less members on here now that annoy me than at any other point in ATA history.

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Nov 6 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Zippy @ Nov 6 2009, 10:18 PM) *
I disagree. There are probally less members on here now that annoy me than at any other point in ATA history.

.... or just less members!

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Nov 6 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE (garyholc @ Nov 6 2009, 10:26 PM) *
QUOTE (Zippy @ Nov 6 2009, 10:18 PM) *

.... or just less members!

Sad but true. unsure.gif

and yes I'm posting for the sake of posting now, given up any hope of this thread turning into a real dicussion lol.

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Nov 6 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 113

Who are you refering to exactly? I'm not aware of anyone that fits that bill.

As far as I'm aware Steve has pretty much covered the main reasons spot on as far as I'm aware.

If you look at this, which is the top posters list, you will find that most of the top posters are now on a much closer level personally than years gone by and therefore the basis of their communication isn't going to be on here as much.

ATA used to do trips quite regulary back 5/6 years ago and it would be the same people go to these trips that are friends now. So trips and other stuff would obviously start to be organised by text message, etc.

A few years ago I was a bit critical of ATA being quite clicky, but I've kinda changed my view, grown up a bit and see why.

End of the day this place is only as good as the members, I don't post that much these days because I don't like speculation that much and would much prefer to discuss factual/opionion based discussion. Quotes like
If i told you all i knew, you would be surprised
just put me off even discussing the matter.

I'll always contribute to interesting discussions / debates.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DragonGuardian
post Nov 7 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,185

I've been coming here since like 2001 so I would have been 11. Its always been a pretty quiet forum. Like a cosy corner of the internet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Nov 7 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

Honesty Time:

The clickyness ruined this forum, I hate it. I spent years feeling like I was on the fringes of a couple of different clicky groups, in a position where I got on with people really well and really enjoy seeing them, but ultimately for whatever reason never made it to the inner circles, maybe Iím just not very good at staying in touch with people in this day and age and I struggle with small talk, I dunno.

As far as the forum is concerned it really changed my enjoyment of the place and how I interact with it, because underneath my grumpy/sarcastic/just out right unpleasant internet persona, I'm an incredible sociable guy. I like big, silly, random meet ups with new and old faces alike, and at one time this place offered that in abundance. The forum would be an icebreaker and easy way of making conversation with new people.

I think the above is reflected by the current roster, I think we can put 95% of members into one of two groups. The group of people who have been here for ages, know at least afew other members very well in real life, and as a result don't post very much, and one group of people who are very happy with the place how it is because there not so bothered about meet-ups or small talk, they appreciate the forum on a much simpler level. Apart from that we have some lurkers and stragglers. We certainly don't come across as very welcoming to new people, I'm not surprised that many of them post a half dozen times and go elsewhere.

So why am I still here? Well, I've actually tried to quit a couple of times, but ATA has become ingrained in my internet activity. When you check the forum at least once every 48hours for 6/7/8 years it becomes very difficult to stop! Frankly as a forum or community, this place doesn't offer much for me anymore. The people I met from here don't post on here much anymore, there all on FB or my MSN list.

This isn't meant to be a complaint or a rant, and please don't think for a second that I don't appreciate the insane amount of hours the team have put into this place over the years, but I'm out of work, bored stiff and hence Iím going to post confrontational ramblings and play devil's advocate for the time being. J

This post has been edited by Zippy: Nov 7 2009, 10:32 AM

+Quote Post
John R
post Nov 7 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Zippy @ Nov 5 2009, 3:42 PM) *
QUOTE (John R @ Nov 5 2009, 3:35 PM) *
QUOTE (cookiee_munster @ Nov 3 2009, 9:41 PM) *
just over 30 people have looked at this thread...

sometimes i just think people on here are too scared to voice their own opinions about things incase they get shot down. i know how dry/quick fired the folk here can be...

In my opinion, the think that drove me away from ehre was pointless threads, 12 year olds coming on and ranting and just general arguing. names spring to mind but im not gonna flame smile.gif

I don't think it was ever that bad, and I'd rather have some pretty daft/pointless/immature topics than none at all.

Immature and pointless threads that are ALWAYS the top of the forum bug me... One in particular, and obviously some wideass is gonna know exactly what opne i mean! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Nov 7 2009, 4:21 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (John R @ Nov 7 2009, 3:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Zippy @ Nov 5 2009, 3:42 PM) *
QUOTE (John R @ Nov 5 2009, 3:35 PM) *

sometimes i just think people on here are too scared to voice their own opinions about things incase they get shot down. i know how dry/quick fired the folk here can be...

In my opinion, the think that drove me away from ehre was pointless threads, 12 year olds coming on and ranting and just general arguing. names spring to mind but im not gonna flame smile.gif

I don't think it was ever that bad, and I'd rather have some pretty daft/pointless/immature topics than none at all.

Immature and pointless threads that are ALWAYS the top of the forum bug me... One in particular, and obviously some wideass is gonna know exactly what opne i mean! rolleyes.gif

*looks in mirror* its not that big! *cries like a girl*

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
John
post Nov 9 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 375

Was discussing this with one of your esteemed moderators just this past weekend, and personally, my life and interests moved on, so I don't post or visit as much anymore, and for all the squabbling theories as to who and what left us with what I'm coining as 'ATA-int what it used to be!', I imagine it was the same for many others.

But that Nemesis eh? Cor.

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Nov 9 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 32

i think, what it is, is i had one of those moments where i knew things had changed, and that as weve all gotten older people have moved on. interests aren't as big as they used to be. ive been here for around 10yrs now. im 25 next year. ARGH!!!

i guess, because i never used to post here as much for a few years ago, and eventually coming back on quite regularly, its kind of like a little hark back to when you were younger. But when you don't have that, and the people you knew aren't around as much, you cant help but feel your youth has slipped away a little bit.

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
D4n
post Nov 20 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #34

Formerly 'AirRules'

Member No.: 11,249

Well, I've been treading carefully on here for the last 12 months or so, since I reached 40% warn. Take that off and I'm back, ATA. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Nov 20 2009, 3:23 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,363

Sometimes people can come accross a little short and i think thats a shame. The forum has got a little slower agreed, i dont do MSN although i do chat on facebook and send the odd message. Air Dan, the up most respect for the 40% warn level, thats an achievement, i might try fot that too. Lol. Warn level, sorry, what rubbish. (Thats 10% lol).

Katie Almighty, you should say whatever you want, thats the idea of this forum and i would like to think everyone can say what they want and be happy. Gary says exactly what he wants (even if controversal) but i love him for that, always makes me laugh. Put what you want and if people wanna have a go let me know, i will sort them.

I would like to see us ALL meetup, everyone, as many members as possible who want to come.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
KatieAlmighty
post Nov 20 2009, 5:28 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 14,269

QUOTE (andy talocanham @ Nov 20 2009, 3:23 PM) *
Sometimes people can come accross a little short and i think thats a shame. The forum has got a little slower agreed, i dont do MSN although i do chat on facebook and send the odd message. Air Dan, the up most respect for the 40% warn level, thats an achievement, i might try fot that too. Lol. Warn level, sorry, what rubbish. (Thats 10% lol).

Katie Almighty, you should say whatever you want, thats the idea of this forum and i would like to think everyone can say what they want and be happy. Gary says exactly what he wants (even if controversal) but i love him for that, always makes me laugh. Put what you want and if people wanna have a go let me know, i will sort them.

I would like to see us ALL meetup, everyone, as many members as possible who want to come.

yes, ive had a few giggles at the things gary says sometimes!
i guess its just wondering what people are going too think. Why i dont post as often as i could. but i do enjoying reading topics.

+Quote Post
darkomangagirl
post Nov 20 2009, 5:39 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 1,332

I guess the beauty of being on a forum is that you do have a computer to hide behind. And it's mostly fun at the end of the day. I do enjoy a good debate, and I actually learn about coasters on here.

Also I think a mass meet up is a great idea Andy, maybe on the 1st day of season next year wink.gif

--------------------
'What's that, you want to kill everyone and make a pretty picture out of their body parts? Come with me, take these tablets. Let's play a game of cluedo.' 2nd yr MH nurse, UOM.

+Quote Post
hex
post Nov 20 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,842

I'd try and come smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Nov 20 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,363

QUOTE (hex @ Nov 20 2009, 8:20 PM) *
I'd try and come smile.gif

yeah come along Hex, would be good to meet you and KatieAlmighty, we are not that scary and it is a good laugh. I like it, first day of the season it is, new ride and a chance for everyone to meet up, will set up an event on here, might speak to the TTF lot too.

I would like to think that i am about the same as i am on here as i am in real life, well, i think i am a little more mad in real life. lol.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Nov 22 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #40

Oh and Hex
just to let you know, Andy loves having is car covered in bog roll...

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2017 - 10:17 AM