21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Que?, *dullness*
Minibus_Driver
post Nov 23 2009, 1:58 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,005

If you look at this, which is the top posters list, you will find that most of the top posters are

I'm on page 13, Oh well better start talking more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hex Legend of th...
post Nov 23 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 5,903

We need more controversial or even just general topics in which people can just discuss and share opinions.

Back in the days, when I was new, there used to be topics and discussions over all manner of things.

No-one making interesting topics = No-one discussing = Members becoming disinterested so leave = Lifeless Forum.

I think it’s quite simple really: Bring back the discussions and the members will once again become interested.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KatieAlmighty
post Nov 23 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 14,269

QUOTE (Minibus_Driver @ Nov 23 2009, 1:58 PM) *
If you look at this, which is the top posters list, you will find that most of the top posters are

I'm on page 13, Oh well better start talking more.

haha page 16 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
hex
post Nov 23 2009, 8:36 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 1,842

QUOTE (garyholc @ Nov 22 2009, 10:20 PM) *
Oh and Hex
just to let you know, Andy loves having is car covered in bog roll...

Thanks for letting me know about that Gary!

I'll take that into consideration smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Nov 23 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #45

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

Hex, for your information, Gary likes people drawing into the condensation on his car. He loves it, really he does!

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Nov 23 2009, 9:47 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 870

QUOTE (Jayne @ Nov 23 2009, 8:43 PM) *
Hex, for your information, Gary likes people drawing into the condensation on his car. He loves it, really he does!

Well apart from the stupid comments yes i really dont mind.

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Nov 24 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 21

I used to go on here everyday but since I have moved into a new place with no phone line, therefore no internet, the times I do go online I rarely come on here and check. Is good to catch up now and again, but shame I don't post as much as I used to.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
Kondor
post Nov 24 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

Member No.: 332

I personally think it took a bit of a dive when all the...

"what colour are you wearing today?" and "what you having for tea?" and "what are you watching on the telly box?"

threads started.

I personally couldn't give two shakes of a donkeys tail what any of you are having to eat, going to see or listening to. In fact, I do not think anyone cares at all what any of you are going to see, do or eat either. And I do not think any of you care about what each other are doing.

These threads are more of a sort of "I think I need a way to tell the rest of the world what I am eating, doing and playing with". They are not threads where you can really get into any sort of serious discussion, just a sort of "look at me! look at me!" type of thing.

totally crap, reality type threads. A bit like those "I am sitting on a park bench" type posts that mindless idiots decide to post on facebook. Like anyone cares! Why don't you really say what you mean to say
"I am a boring uninteresting git that has nothing to do and sitting on this park bench is the high light of my day so I might as well tell the world about it".

I do not care, no one cares, if your favourite number for the day is 3 and yesterday it was the number 7 then woopee flippin doo. Do not expect the rest of the world to care in the slightest, because they don't.

--------------------
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Nov 24 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #49

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

Lol bit of a rant there, but you have a point. They are harmless topics to get to know each other I suppose, as well as pass the time if there is nothing to talk about, like in closed season, but it is why I hate Twitter with a passion, even more so that all TV shows have a link to it now, I don't get just posting little bits, basically like facebook status updates, and then reading them all about different people. They usually are pointless little facts that I agree with you that no one cares about really.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
Kondor
post Nov 24 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

Yea, the worst thing of course is that one day you might have some pretty strong views, on a song or a documentary, the latest star wars or whatever. And your sort of obliged to shove it in there.

It is like shoving your views into some sort of black hole.

Say for instance you have just watched a documentary film that you thought raised some really important issues, like for instance boot polish rots your brain. You spend a good while jotting down all your thoughts, finally pressing the add reply button. Followed of course by 3 or 4 edits to fix the spelling mistakes. You sit waiting for a reply to your well thought out post, hours pass, maybe days and then....

Bamm!

I am going to watch star fox 81.5 tonight in 3 friggin D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post Nov 25 2009, 2:33 PM
Post #51

Group Icon

Member No.: 85

QUOTE (Kondor @ Nov 24 2009, 11:11 PM) *
I personally couldn't give two shakes of a donkeys tail what any of you are having to eat, going to see or listening to. In fact, I do not think anyone cares at all what any of you are going to see, do or eat either. And I do not think any of you care about what each other are doing.

But these threads don't stop people posting in more meaningful threads, it just happens that there aren't many of them about. They are just filler really and its the old case of you don't like them, don't read them. Equally, you don't like reading a constant stream of crap then don't join twitter 'cos thats all its for.

--------------------
I'm on iTunes!! as well as Amazon, emusic, ilike, immergent, last.fm, MOG, myspace, napster, and rhapsody.

+Quote Post
Kondor
post Nov 25 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #52

Group Icon

But these threads don't stop people posting in more meaningful threads, it just happens that there aren't many of them about. They are just filler really and its the old case of you don't like them, don't read them. Equally, you don't like reading a constant stream of crap then don't join twitter 'cos thats all its for.

My point exactly, well made IR. There is less posting in more meaningful threads because as you say
"there aren't many of them about".
And they "are just filler really"

My guess is most people don't like them, and therefore most people don't bother reading them.

As you point out, they are equal to the streams of crap on twitter.

Because these pointless twitter type posts now seem to make up the bulk of ATs posts, it has reached a point where all the people who were interested in meaningful chit chat just do not bother to post, and more often than not do not even bother looking to see if anyone else has posted anything.

AT forums it seems is now some sort of twitter. Where people log in to tell the world about what video game they have just purchased, what film they have just seen at the cinema or how cool the latest music video that a certain band they idolise is.

Not for me thanks, and by the looks of the forum, I am not the only one.

People used to ask advice, make political points and just get things off their chest. Now people come in, look at the twitter type crap that people seem to think is worth posting, and leave.

Oh and just incase your really interested I saw Jennifers Body the other day at the cinema, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I quite like the new super mario bros game on the wii but it seems to have failed to capture some of the magic of the old titles and I still like some of princes old stuff, especially "Take me with you" from the old revolution days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Nov 25 2009, 4:52 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 870

QUOTE (Kondor @ Nov 25 2009, 3:31 PM) *
As you point out, they are equal to the streams of crap on twitter.

There is a reason TWITer is called such a name, as it represents the majority of people who use it.

QUOTE (Kondor @ Nov 25 2009, 3:31 PM) *
AT forums it seems is now some sort of twitter. Where people log in to tell the world about what video game they have just purchased, what film they have just seen at the cinema or how cool the latest music video that a certain band they idolise is.

Not for me thanks, and by the looks of the forum, I am not the only one.

People used to ask advice, make political points and just get things off their chest. Now people come in, look at the twitter type crap that people seem to think is worth posting, and leave.

Oh and just incase your really interested I saw Jennifers Body the other day at the cinema, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I quite like the new super mario bros game on the wii but it seems to have failed to capture some of the magic of the old titles and I still like some of princes old stuff, especially "Take me with you" from the old revolution days.

Hmm, totally disagree with you on this one though. Firstly, there are numerous different topics in the Off Topic discussion area. You for example recently posted videos you are watching in the YouTube thread. This is no different to people discussing XBox or PS3 games in the Gaming thread. I dont very often tend to read the YouTube thread, it doesnt interest me, so I just skip over it, just as others would skip over the Gaming thread if they are not interested in that.

You dont have to read the threads which dont interest you, unlike TWITer where the comments are forced onto you whenever you see someones TWITer page. There are topics in here for example about Football, TV shows etc. which you may choose to skip over if you dont want to read them. Just because you dont happen to be interested in video games, or football, or tv, doesnt mean what is posted within those threads is rubbish.

Whats wrong with people wanting to discuss video games, cimena films they have just seen etc. in the relevent threads? Its a discussion board for christ sake, and you wonder why people DONT post on here anymore, because they are afraid of being critised for it, just as you have said in your statement above. There are dedicated topics for Alton Towers discussion and fair play to everyone, we rarely go off topic in there.

As for people who once upon a time used to post questions, political comments etc. well questions are still posted, and as for political comments, well everyone knows politics is the most boring subject in the world, and anyone who does post a political comment on here usually gets flamed. So people dont bother anymore.

And finally, good on you for seeing the film and playing Super Mario on the Wii. No doubt these things would be of interest to some people on here, and some would not. Dont take this the wrong way Kondor, but maybe at 41 years old, a discussion board which talks about cinema and video games will naturally not be of interest to you. I'm sure there are other more mature discussion boards out there which will discuss politics for example.

Obviously your sole reason for coming here is your interest in Alton Towers, so why not just read the AT sub forums, and just ignore the Off Topic chat? But dont critise people for posting what they think "may" be of interest to people, its a discussion board, not everything will interest everyone, but thats the nature of the beast. Its this fear of critism which puts people off making/developing conversations on here lately.

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Nov 26 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (PaulMorgster @ Nov 24 2009, 10:19 PM) *
I used to go on here everyday but since I have moved into a new place with no phone line, therefore no internet, the times I do go online I rarely come on here and check. Is good to catch up now and again, but shame I don't post as much as I used to.

Paul!!! smile.gif nice to see you around Paul.

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
da_v
post Nov 28 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 1,419

I also havent been on in a while, mainly due to work, travel and what have you, but i do check every day or so but there never seems to be a new thread or no posts in 3 or 4 days, you used to be able to come on here and have a laugh at some of the comments but alas the trolls went and it became a kind of normal thread which while it is a good thing, kinda took away something

Also the anything goes sub fourm used to have diffrent topics, from games to movie reviews but even they have seemed to go a bit quiet. I do think as soon as information is released about SW6 then maybe a few more people will venture to the site and the fourm will pick up again

Anyway its nice to be back smile.gif

--------------------
When he shoots himself in the foot, he uses a cannon so big it takes his whole leg off.

+Quote Post
Ben
post Nov 28 2009, 1:00 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

Member No.: 284

To be honest I'm in the same boat as John. My interests have moved on, in fact I haven't been to a theme park in about three years. I still pop along to the forum occasionally to see whats going on, I wouldn't say its truly lost it yet. I went on Rideas for the first time in about four years the other week, that was hilarious, its like a retirement forum for its old regular posters, still trying to cling on to the glory days.

I've made some good connections through this forum, but now I'm not that bothered about the discussion side of things that go on here I can keep up with them on Facebook or Twitter rather than here.

Sure there are many others in the same position.

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Nov 28 2009, 3:23 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 14,274

QUOTE (garyholc @ Nov 25 2009, 4:52 PM) *
As for people who once upon a time used to post questions, political comments etc. well questions are still posted, and as for political comments, well everyone knows politics is the most boring subject in the world, and anyone who does post a political comment on here usually gets flamed. So people dont bother anymore.

And may i add to that gary, the topic of speculation where people get flamed? wink.gif

Example:

SW6 has seen a rise on comments posted on most at themed forums. Most stick to the facts but when someone "dares" to change it to speculation, they get flamed with an industrial flame thrower on overtime! lol I've seen specualtion die over the years i been a member of various forums and it kinda sucks because theres always someone who knows more or better who claims one thing and it results in an all gone slanging match. What i class as speculation is something which is within the relms of possibility which is based on whats being talked about and "leaked". Prime example, how many said SW6 was B&M just because it had the codename of SW? The people who didnt shout about that it was Intamin but said theres more to this than just B&M and why is it a B&M just because it has an SW title and got flamed by the very few? Its only been very recently that the start of the marketing campagin has been officially started with the video of the "worlds first element" being delivered has it now really started. This isnt to say that the fanboy vids don't have some truth into it mainly because of the relevance of the source of them which a few people know and wouldnt divuldge the source of them because they been asked not to either for a reason they have been asked to be kept annonimous or that its not been made official yet that they have to keep things to themsleves. This is fair enough and this is called respect for people.

Another example is that some peoples egos are bigger than their attitude which gives them less than credable reason to comment on things (I would like to stress i do not mean Willps on that and if you have taken it that i have ment willps i do not). I just feel that mine and willps personalities online clash like a boat into an iceberg with the look out saying "Iceberg, what iceberg?" lol The sometimes "I am right and you know nothing" attitude which does sometimes come out in peopels opinions is just so off putting sometimes that trying to get a personal opinion on an idea or a topic is just like saying, "X is going to slam me so why should i post anything anymore, im gonna get flamed". Interaction is a vital part of any topic/discussion but flaming people for their ideas is just going to make them give up on posting. When someone seems to be "all knowing" and doesnt care for the opinions of someone else speculating, it can seem to some as bullying and that could also be another reason why certain topics on forums in general dont get off the ground and others do.

Oh as for politics being a boring subject, can i just say Nick Griffin on Question Time and the events leading up to it and for 2 days after, I found that quite intresting indeed wink.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Dec 29 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 1,363

I would consider myself a long running ish member of this forum, and to be honest, some peoples egos do get in the way, and it drives me mad, this is a forum where you can put things "out there", yeah if you put Alton are going to get a 9000ft high Roller-coaster then expect someone to say your an idiot or i don't think so.

And lets be honest, you do mean Willips, as i do in this post, sometimes i feel he does come across like he knows it all. I dont care what "Contacts" people have with Alton, or if they heard something, they can comment and suggest without people shooting them down. IF thats what they heard then its nice of them to share it.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Dec 29 2009, 8:53 PM
Post #59

Group Icon

Member No.: 348

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Nov 28 2009, 3:23 PM) *
QUOTE (garyholc @ Nov 25 2009, 4:52 PM) *

And may i add to that gary, the topic of speculation where people get flamed? wink.gif

Example:

SW6 has seen a rise on comments posted on most at themed forums. Most stick to the facts but when someone "dares" to change it to speculation, they get flamed with an industrial flame thrower on overtime! lol I've seen specualtion die over the years i been a member of various forums and it kinda sucks because theres always someone who knows more or better who claims one thing and it results in an all gone slanging match. What i class as speculation is something which is within the relms of possibility which is based on whats being talked about and "leaked". Prime example, how many said SW6 was B&M just because it had the codename of SW? The people who didnt shout about that it was Intamin but said theres more to this than just B&M and why is it a B&M just because it has an SW title and got flamed by the very few? Its only been very recently that the start of the marketing campagin has been officially started with the video of the "worlds first element" being delivered has it now really started. This isnt to say that the fanboy vids don't have some truth into it mainly because of the relevance of the source of them which a few people know and wouldnt divuldge the source of them because they been asked not to either for a reason they have been asked to be kept annonimous or that its not been made official yet that they have to keep things to themsleves. This is fair enough and this is called respect for people.

Another example is that some peoples egos are bigger than their attitude which gives them less than credable reason to comment on things (I would like to stress i do not mean Willps on that and if you have taken it that i have ment willps i do not). I just feel that mine and willps personalities online clash like a boat into an iceberg with the look out saying "Iceberg, what iceberg?" lol The sometimes "I am right and you know nothing" attitude which does sometimes come out in peopels opinions is just so off putting sometimes that trying to get a personal opinion on an idea or a topic is just like saying, "X is going to slam me so why should i post anything anymore, im gonna get flamed". Interaction is a vital part of any topic/discussion but flaming people for their ideas is just going to make them give up on posting. When someone seems to be "all knowing" and doesnt care for the opinions of someone else speculating, it can seem to some as bullying and that could also be another reason why certain topics on forums in general dont get off the ground and others do.

You say you don't mean me, but then you elaborate on me as an example. Right you are.

I'm sure you've all seen Boombox proclaim that I dislike speculation. Well, let me definitively say I don't - I dislike preposterous speculation - e.g. suggesting a viral marketing connection to Saw based entirely on the suggested name Thirteen (really!). I don't for one moment believe that I am the only person that thinks that most of your posts are completely ludicrous. As a forum we used to laugh at this sort of thing over at Coaster Force and Towers Times...

I think ultimately, that's what used to make this forum different. It was a cut above those places; at ATA you never had to trawl through pages and pages of bizarre conjecture and personal bickering. Moderation used to be tough, but really as a community we were never a place where "everybody is welcome" or whatever (despite whatever the official line might be). I know this because when I originally signed up my posts were of a particularly low quality. I wasn't appreciated (and rightly so!) and before too long I was forced out (again rightly so). I had to make a concerted effort to improve the standard of my posts on my return, and only then was I properly incorporated in to the group.

This meant that we didn't get the constant stream of newbies that TTF did, but when people did join they were generally of a higher standard to that we see on TTF. I'm thinking of people like Jayne, Jason (marlowe), Kevin (EllisB) and Inaudible Whisper. I don't want to speak on their behalf, but there must have been a reason they chose to join this board; we're not the first Towers discussion board you're likely to encounter.

No wonder none of the decent members can be bothered any more. The loss of the quality threshold means that a good number of the posts we do get are misspelled non-nonsensical pieces of crap.

For my mind, this was triggered a year or two ago by one person in particular, and then compounded this year by another. I wont say who because I don't want to set off the same old crap, but it's probably pretty obvious.

I hope this doesn't sound sad, but I used to really enjoy checking this board every day - even in the closed season when nothing was really happening, the Anything Goes board alone used to be of sufficient quality to justify it. Now I almost ask myself why I'm doing this when I hit the ATA button on my speed-dial. It's depressing, and I can only see it getting worse.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPG
post Dec 29 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #60

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Put it this way, I have over 4,400 posts on here (and another 6 or 7000 on the previous EZboard - and how many have stuck around that remembers that!!?) but the last 12 months have seen me post just over 100 times.

I'm no busier than I was previously, I still frequent other places just as much, but this place... very rarely now. The quality has simply dropped off, and the people I want to talk/listen to the opinions of I can garner elsewhere.

I've even found myself logging onto Towers Nerd so I can actually see what's happening as opposed to the random splurge nonsensical speculation and frothing at the mouth childish bickering that I find on here now.

Shame really.

RPG doth hath left the building - I think 4444 posts is a fitting exit strategy, i'llsithee.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 10:33 PM