72 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Gaming, The Official Thread
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Mar 11 2005, 2:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

Just thought id start a thread where we can discuss the next generation of Consoles as all the details are starting to leak.

Sony are having a meeting with all of the important people next week to showcase a final working PS3 with Demo's. It will be unveiled to the public at E3 on May 18th.

-------------------------

The Xenon (Xbox 2)... Heres the Xenon interface http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_m...19707421&page=0

With all this talk about the PS3's cell technology, I really though Sony would have the big one. But having looked at Xenons specs... just wow!

Xenon Specs:

CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. 9GHz of power altogether. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

-----------------------------------------------

Nintendo Revolutions. Not much is known. Nintendo have simply claimed that it will "Revolutionise gaming". The exact quote: "Different also defines our approach to our next home system. It won't simply be new or include new technologies. Better technology is good, but not enough. Today's consoles already offer fairly realistic expressions so simply beefing up the graphics will not let most of us see a difference. So what should a new machine do? Much more. An unprecedented gameplay experience. Something no other machine has delivered before.

"The definition for a new machine must be different. I want you to know that Nintendo is working on our next system and that system will create a gaming revolution. Internal development is underway.

"I could give you our technical specs, as I'd know you'd like that, but I won't for a simple reason: they really don't matter. The time when horsepower alone made all the difference is over.

"Work on Revolution is well underway. When you see it you will be excited because you will experience a gaming revolution."

The console is codenamed Revolution for a reason: Nintendo expects it to be revolutionary. The system will, according to Nintendo, fundamentally change how games are played -- literally. Iwata in June 2004 described Revolution as a videogame machine "of a different nature that does not follow the conventional path of new game systems that increase speed and visual quality for making elaborate games." He added: "The rule of satisfying customers by increasing specifications worked once, but no longer applies now."

Can anybody guess what this revolutionary step up could be? The only obvious step up in video games I can think of, other than better graphics and physics etc is Virtual Reality. But surely we're too early for anything decent Virtual Reality-wise and it would be way too expensive. So I shall guess that Nintendo are to create their own Matrix tongue.gif It has to have something to do with the controller doesnt it!? Thats the way we "play" games, and thats what they're intending to revolutionise. Hmmm.

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: Mar 11 2005, 3:17 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gem
post Mar 11 2005, 7:11 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 194

Telepathy. Bound to be.

For those amongst us who are not very sibylline, it will come supplied with electrodes to be hotwired into your brain.

Game control by thoughts alone - there's your revolution. smile.gif

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Mar 11 2005, 7:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 795

Xenon's apparantly incredible first party Microsoft software is also using Unreal Engine 3, which looks incredible, but get this: can maintain 100% quality on <i>infinitely big</i> maps. They also just signed some of the best Japanese designers, and announced that PPU (physics processing unit) will be included.

Wonderful? You betcha.

This post has been edited by bKangy: Mar 11 2005, 7:55 AM

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post Mar 11 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #4

Hopping in puddles since 1984
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Gem @ Mar 11 2005, 07:11 AM)
Telepathy. Bound to be.

For those amongst us who are not very sibylline, it will come supplied with electrodes to be hotwired into your brain.

Game control by thoughts alone - there's your revolution. smile.gif

Or maybe it'll come with its very own guillotine...

--------------------

+Quote Post
phi11ip
post Mar 11 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 23

Not sure what it is, but it sounds scary.

EDIT:

New Zelda

Yes, that does look quite good!

This post has been edited by phi11ip: Mar 11 2005, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 11 2005, 2:23 PM
Post #6

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

There was a vague press release for Revolution yesterday, Nintendo have confirmed the spec of Revolution to be higher than that of the consoles released by Sony and Microsoft at their current state.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
mark9
post Mar 11 2005, 2:59 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 281

Revolution is also back compatible, so it can play Gamecube games.

--------------------

I find your lack of Christmas spirit disturbing.
In memory of Ross Power- March 29th 1990 - February 4th 2006

+Quote Post
William
post Mar 11 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 43

This is all great, but who will be able to afford them? happy.gif Not very many people I reckon, it does all sound nice, but it won't be cheap... I don't want to have to take out a loan just to buy a higher spec SNES...

And maybe the revolution will feature affordable prices on all its acceories and games? That would be a revolution and would make me buy it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Mar 11 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

The Nintendo DS is out today I believe. It is just a hyped up game boy, but it looks good.

Took me a while to save up for the Game Boy Advance sp, so i might not get this one.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
Jonathan
post Mar 11 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (RPG @ Mar 11 2005, 02:23 PM)
There was a vague press release for Revolution yesterday, Nintendo have confirmed the spec of Revolution to be higher than that of the consoles released by Sony and Microsoft at their current state.

I'd love to see Nintendo triumph over the mighty powers Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo are my computer heroes, in fact I’ve still got my old NES working. Unfortunately I’m not so sure it’ll happen.

Edited (more of a total rewrite than an edit)

--------------------
Jonathan Foster
ATA Team Member

------------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Mar 11 2005, 9:15 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (bKangy @ Mar 11 2005, 07:53 AM)
Xenon's apparantly incredible first party Microsoft software is also using Unreal Engine 3, which looks incredible, but get this: can maintain 100% quality on <i>infinitely big</i> maps. They also just signed some of the best Japanese designers, and announced that PPU (physics processing unit) will be included.

Wonderful? You betcha.

Microsoft wont be solely using the Unreal 3 engine. Plenty of games will. The current unreal engine is used in games such as Splinter Cell and (Obviously) Unreal Tournament, both of which are available on all current consoles (Is Unreal tournament On Gamecube? Not Sure).

The best thing about Unreal 3 is no loading times! The engine tells the game when a new level is coming up so it can load the next level before you get to it so the transition is seamless. Im liking the sound of that. Ive just completely Metal Gear 3, and it was quite annoying that before a boss battle everything would build up... the music was building up, it had great tension, then once it cut to the actual fight everything freezes on a white screen for 2 seconds and the fight begins. 2 Seconds is not a long loading time AT ALL, but that two seconds of silence completely cuts the built up tension in half. So seamless game progress I think will be great!

About Consoles power... I dont think it matters at all. Maybe to a heavy gamer, then they want the best, but most will get PS3 just cos its Sony and its a Playstation, regardless of whether the competition have better consoles are not. The Xbox is the current most powerful system, and the Japanese are gaming freaks but the Xbox has bombed in Japan, so it isnt always about Power. I honestly cant see the Playstation ever being taken over popularity wise, unless Sony do something very wrong, or Nintendo literally do have some sort of Revolutionary thing. Which im doubting.

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: Mar 11 2005, 9:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Mar 11 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #12

Well, Microsoft is the only official licensee of UE3 so far. Ubi Soft are actually on modified UE1 I think. Still, if MS already have the engine, I can start believing how man top qualiy games could be produced.

Unreal Tournie is PC only. Unreal Champ is Xbox.

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post Mar 11 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 85

You shouldnt just go on specs though (not acusing anyone BTW!). Its down to the quality of the games, not the raw power of the console. Personaly i tend to lean towards sony because i like the games they have, idealy id have all the consoles like some people i know and have the best of all the systems.

Anyway it all sounds very nice, it would be great if Nintendo could pull off a better machine than the other 2. I still love the NES, keep trying to buy one but as soon as any of the local shops get them there sold again.

--------------------
I'm on iTunes!! as well as Amazon, emusic, ilike, immergent, last.fm, MOG, myspace, napster, and rhapsody.

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Mar 11 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #14

Where did Nintendo confirm that their console was beter than th other two in power?

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 11 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

In a keynote speech by Iwota, backed up by ATi and IBM.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Mar 11 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #16

Can I get the quote on that?

+Quote Post
RPG
post Mar 11 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #17

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138770

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138769

http://cube.ign.com/articles/594/594834p2.html

Iwata announced that Revolution will feature built-in Wi-Fi protocols, which will allow users around the world to connect with one another wirelessly. Revolutions technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," are being designed to deliver game experiences not possible to date.

ATI said:

"We're excited to be developing the graphics chip set for Revolution, which continues our longstanding relationship with Nintendo," says Dave Orton, ATI Technologies Inc president and chief executive officer. "As the leading graphics provider, ATI is committed to delivering exceptional visual performance that enables consumers to interact with new and visually compelling digital worlds. ATI is proud to support Nintendo's innovative contributions to gaming."

the VP:

IGNcube: Microsoft and Sony have development kits out there for their next-gen systems. Are Revolution dev kits coming?

Reggie: Yes, they're on their way. We're hard at work providing pre-development tools to key licensees. And again, Mr. Iwata will be talking at length tomorrow at his keynote about our vision for Revolution. Are dev kits going to be on the way? Absolutely. Are dev kits going to be out on the marketplace with enough time to impact great development of software for Revolution? Absolutely. We are right on track for development of Revolution and that's a key message out there. We're not going to be late to the marketplace. We're going to be on time with our competition, which we've pegged as Sony. And certainly getting development kits out there in a reasonable fashion is a big part of making that happen. 

more interviews:

1UP: Any comment of what Mr. Iwata's going to say at his keynote speech?

RFA: What I'll tell ya is this. Mr. Iwata, in addition to relating his own personal development experiences, and that is one of the advantages versus our competitors. You know, that head of our company is a developer. He gets it. He knows what the life is like. But in addition to that, yeah we're going to talk about DS, we're gonna talk about wireless Internet gaming. We're gonna talk about that we're committed to it, that we're bringing it to life this year. We're gonna talk about Revolution, in terms of technology partners, we're gonna talk about how we're doing some things to bring it to market in ways that Nintendo hasn't done in the past. We're breaking the mold, we're breaking the mold by having Mr. Iwata do this speech, we're breaking the mold in the way that we're thinking about our next-generation platforms, including DS. And we're also putting out there, for ours fans, the fact that there's some things we could have done better on previous systems. The whole Internet gaming piece, we missed the boat on GameCube. We won't miss the boat in the future.

1UP: But you could say that same thing about past-generation Nintendo systems: That you have the best software. But in the end, it comes down to a lot of brand-power, and your marketing and your image. Everyone could say GameCube has a TON of great games that you can't get anywhere else, and yet the PS2 still kicks its ass in terms of hardware sales, just because it's a cooler, slicker machine. It's a mainstream machine, people get it. It's out there, involved with the entertainment industry in various ways that the GameCube isn't. It's likely the PSP will achieve similar success, because it's a cool, slick machine. And you guys are obviously going for an older audience with the DS, what happens when Sony comes along with this movie-playing machine, this MP3-playing machine, and it outsells you guys, becomes the cool thing to own, and you come in second place in handhelds?

RFA: That's a lot of "ifs" in that question. And frankly a lot of "ifs" I reject. Believe me, my energies are all about how do we continue driving DS? The first 2.5 million are in the bank. Where are the next five million coming from? That's what we're focused on. How do we continue to make sure SP sales are at a strong level so that DS is larger than incremental? How do we make sure that both our brands and our products are perceived much cooler than they have in the past? Absolutely, spending a ton of time on that. And we're doing a lot of things. We're doing some things with the hip-hop community. We're doing some things from a music perspective. So I hear the comment of "Hey, how do you make sure that the Nintendo image gets pushed in a proper way?" So that we're perceived as cool, "with it," "gotta have it," I hear ya. And we're working on it.

1UP: So why distance yourselves so far from the competiton? Why not move closer in the direction of, say, Sony, and design a system that acknowledges the trends of the time, the technology of the time?

RFA: You know, that's interesting, and this issssss something that probably doesn't interest the gamer all that much, but it certainly interests the financial community, and the fact is that our strategy has been hugely profitable. It is a sound business strategy. Differentiation is a key to success. There's a reason Microsoft loses a [crap load] of money on every system they sell today. They've gone down a path with no differentiation, so they had to out-power what was out there on the marketplace. You can't do that forever. Versus an innovation strategy certainly works in the long run, and I'll give you a great example: Apple Computer. Five years ago people were writing off Apple Computer. "What are they doing? Why don't they give up their operating system and embrace windows. Get on with life." And then the iPod came, and everyone is saying how damn smart these people are. 

1UP: Any clue as to how big Revolution's presence will be at E3?

RFA: Revolution will have a major presence in our presentations, but it will not be accessible on the show floor. It's too early. But there might be some key, selected folks who will have an opportunity to see what we've got going on. I suspect you folks will have some representation. But what we will be doing at E3 this year is sharing our vision for Revolution. 

--------------------

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Mar 11 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #18

The only quote that suggests a powerful machine is the first, and that doesn't actually say it's more powerful than Xenon and the PS3. Just a line that can interpretted many different ways.

Not possible how? Not possible on a GC? Not possible on a PC? Not possible with our current comprehension?

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Mar 12 2005, 1:29 AM
Post #19

Unreal Tournie is PC only. Unreal Champ is Xbox.

I Have Unreal II for the Xbox (Not Unreal Champ) and I have the original Unreal Tournament for the PS2. Plus, Splinter Cell and a number of other games run on the Unreal engine, and it would be a very stupid move if they decided to incorporate the Unreal 3 engine into only Xenon games.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Mar 12 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #20

Well, yeah, I was just saying nobody else had jumped on it yet. It costs something like $5,000,000 to license, so people have to be sure of the hardware they'll be using etc. I suspect.

Unreal Tournament 1 was released years after the PC version to counter the PS2 version of Quake 3. No rumblings were ever heard from either of a return to the console.

+Quote Post

72 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 8:38 PM