72 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Gaming, The Official Thread
mark9
post Apr 29 2005, 7:25 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 281

I've decided I'm going to wait till I actually see the consoles and hear what games they may have......

--------------------

I find your lack of Christmas spirit disturbing.
In memory of Ross Power- March 29th 1990 - February 4th 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 29 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #42

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
From: Home: Gravesend, Kent. Uni: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Member No.: 429

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ Apr 29 2005, 01:27 PM)
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...essage.id=93290

Some shots of a next gen game. Wow. Remember launch games for the PS2 compared to the graphics they have now... imagine what next gen will be able to produce in 4 or 5 years time if this is what they're doing now!

*Jaw Drops*

Wow, thats amazing. I thought GT4 graphics were good, if GT5 comes out on PS3 just imagine those graphics.......*Druels*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 8 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 8

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4827

Somebody has leaked a picture of the Xbox 360 along with its controller, headset and camera from the Los Angeles Launch party. Its official unveiling will be shown live on MTV on May 12 (Its the same here too... or maybe its May13th here, I can't remember).

Im not sure if I like it. I doesn't make me go "oooh" but I don't dislike it either. It looks like what people thought the future would look like in the 80's. Kind of like a computer in an 80's sci-fi movie. To be honest, when you think about the possibilities the companies have when designing consoles, they always come out pretty bland.

This thread is going to be pretty busy this month, with all 3 consoles being unveiled and a ton of next gen games (Including Metal Gear 4 - Fact) at E3 on May 16th. Exciting month for video games!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bKangy
post May 9 2005, 6:46 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 795

I didn't enjoy MGS3 that much, and MGS2 was crap. That said, I really liked the first. I'm looking forward to the Xbox 360 unveiling of Perfect Dark 0, Project Gotham Racing 3 and the games those freshly purchased Japanese devs have been cooking up.

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 9 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #45

I didn't enjoy MGS3 that much

Really? I thought it was the best of the 3 by far. I didn't think the second was crap, but it was a disappointment. I loved the third though. Hideo Kojima is taking a back seat in the development of the next Metal Gear, so we can expect some fresh idea's hopefully. Apparently its going to still be based on stealth, but it will be very very hard to find places to hide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AloneWithMyFear
post May 9 2005, 6:31 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 974

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ May 8 2005, 08:27 PM)
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4827

Somebody has leaked a picture of the Xbox 360 along with its controller

An upended Sky+ box and another horrendous looking gamepad. It appears to have a Mega Drive style control pad that'll erase all the skin off your thumbs within days. Thanks Microsoft. dry.gif

Another chance to add design excellence to the undoubted power wasted. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 9 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #47

The pads look identical to the current Xbox pads, other than the colour, which I don't have a problem with at all. The newer smaller Xbox pads are fine and dandy, I use mine all the time and I feel just as comfortable using them as I do with the PS2 pads. It was the big ones that were a bugger.

Edit: Final Specs for the Xbox 360

The Hardware:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: May 9 2005, 10:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 13 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #48

Xbox 360 Unveiling on MTV tonight at 8:00pm.

It was unveiled yesterday in America, if you don't want to wait until tonight to find out what to expect, then hears a massive article from TeamXbox.com

Celebrating the dawn of a new era in entertainment, millions of game fanatics around the globe came together tonight for the televised unveiling of the Xbox 360™ future-generation game and entertainment system from Microsoft. An audience of millions watched “MTV Presents: The Next-Generation Xbox Revealed” as celebrities, professional athletes, musicians and Xbox officials took the wraps off the much-anticipated system, ending months of intense speculation and satiating consumers worldwide.

The new Xbox 360 system places players at the center of powerful next-generation games and entertainment experiences. The elegant design features a breakthrough wireless controller and an array of Faces, interchangeable faceplates that let gamers personalize their console. The unveiling spotlighted some of the groundbreaking games in development for the new Xbox 360 system, advancements for the Xbox Live™ service — the only unified console gaming service— and new digital media experiences that only Xbox 360 can deliver.

“With the first generation of Xbox, our ambition was to change the way people think about video games,” said Robbie Bach, chief Xbox officer at Microsoft. “Starting today with Xbox 360, our ambition is to transform the way people play games and have fun.”

Xbox 360 will unleash the greatest game lineup in the history of video games when it launches in North America, Europe and Japan this Christmas holiday. The games that captured the color, drama and fun of high-definition gameplay at the MTV unveiling included 2K Sports’ “NBA 2K6”; Activision Publishing Inc.’s “Call of Duty® 2” and “Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland™”, along with id Software’s “QUAKE 4™”; Electronic Arts’ “Madden NFL 06,” “Need for Speed™ Most Wanted” and “Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 06”; Majesco Entertainment’s “The Darkness”; Microsoft Game Studios’ “Perfect Dark: Zero™,” “Kameo™: Elements of Power™,” “Project Gotham Racing™ 3” and “Gears of War”; THQ Inc.’s “Saint’s Row”; and Ubisoft Entertainment’s “Ghost Recon 3.”

Click Here To View All Screenshots

The Platform and Partners Power the Portfolio

Xbox 360 ignites a new era of digital entertainment that is always connected, always personalized and always in high definition. It is the only system designed with a singular platform vision that combines the most-powerful hardware with intelligent software and services advancements.

Every Xbox 360 game is designed for high-definition, wide-screen televisions. Regardless of the television Xbox 360 connects to, gamers will experience smooth, cinematic experiences that far exceed anything they’ve seen or felt in games before. And these experiences are never more than a click away. The Xbox Guide Button is the launch pad that connects gamers to their games, friends and music from the wireless controller.

With more than one teraflop of system-floating point performance, a three-core PowerPC-based CPU for the most-advanced artificial intelligence and physics processing, a custom ATI graphics processor, and more than 512 MB of memory for the ultimate in visual fidelity, the Xbox 360 hardware is a perfect blend of power, elegance and balance. Xbox 360 also features software so smart it remembers what gamers have achieved, continually evolving and enhancing the game experience. When the system is combined with unrivaled Microsoft® XNA™ software development tools, game creators can produce truly believable, thriving worlds.

Fabled game studios such as BioWare Corp., Bizarre Creations Ltd., Bungie Studios and Rare Ltd., as well as legendary Japanese game creators Hironobu Sakaguchi, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and Yoshiki Okamoto, are harnessing the powerful Xbox 360 platform to create exclusive games for Microsoft Game Studios. Equally commanding, game-changing publishers such as 2K Games, Activision Publishing Inc., Capcom Co. Ltd., Electronic Arts, Tecmo Inc., Namco Hometek Inc., Rockstar Games, SEGA of America Inc., THQ and Ubisoft Entertainment — just to name a few — are flocking to Xbox 360.

“Xbox 360 marks the beginning of a renaissance in video games,” said Don Mattrick, president of Worldwide Studios for Electronic Arts. “The unbelievable Xbox 360 games in development at Electronic Arts will accelerate the industry’s mission to make video games the pre-eminent form of all entertainment.”

“With Xbox 360, a new chapter in video game history is being written,” said Kathy Vrabeck, president of Activision Publishing. “The platform liberates us to achieve new levels of graphics and gameplay so our audiences connect emotionally with more riveting stories, more believable characters and more open, living worlds.”

Xbox Live: New Levels of Service Get Everyone in the Game

Connect Xbox 360 to a broadband connection and get instant access to Xbox Live Silver, available for no monthly service charge with an Xbox 360 system. Players can express their digital identity through their Gamer Profile; connect with friends anytime, anywhere through Xbox Live voice chat; send and receive text and voice message; and access Xbox Live Marketplace to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, classic arcade and card and board games, community-created content, and more to the detachable Xbox 360 hard drive — all right out of the box at no extra cost. Composed of user-generated information such as Achievements (rewards players have earned in games), Gamerzone (style of play), and a custom-created Gamertile (a visual icon to represent the gamer online), the Gamer Profile makes it easy to connect with the Xbox Live community.

Gamers who subscribe to the premium service, Xbox Live Gold, can experience the thrill of multiplayer online gameplay. Gamer Profiles will provide a foundation for intelligent matchmaking, so players of similar skill levels and interests can quickly and easily connect, and the Xbox Live Camera peripheral will let gamers add their faces into games and see their friends while they play. Other Xbox Live Gold features for premium members include video messaging; online tournaments and ladders; and exclusive, original programming such as playing with celebrities online and joining sponsored tournaments to win prizes. And all Xbox 360 owners new to Xbox Live will kick-start their experience with a free month of the full subscription service, which will let them experience the full power of Xbox Live.

Unlock a New World of Digital Entertainment

With Xbox 360, gamers are always on. At its core, Xbox 360 is an amazing game machine with a wide selection of titles. But it is also an entertainment system that lets people power new experiences. Every Xbox 360 system has built-in progressive-scan DVD movie, CD music and photo playback support. The integration of Xbox Live into the system lets players receive game invitations from friends while they’re watching movies or listening to music. And every MP3 player, digital camera and Windows® XP-based PC with a Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 port can plug right into an Xbox 360 system to stream music and photos.

In addition, with built-in Media Center Extender functionality in every system, Xbox 360 players can access recorded TV and digital movies, music, video and photos stored on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs through any Xbox 360 system in the house.

Xbox 360 also opens the door to incredible, new high-definition entertainment. In addition to optimizing all Xbox 360 games for high definition, Xbox 360 will stream high-definition TV and movies stored on Media Center PCs starting this holiday season. As high-definition entertainment becomes more pervasive, Microsoft will offer more ways to experience HDTV and movies in any room in the house, any way people want it. Whether it’s by the dropping of an optical disc in a drive, streaming to Xbox 360, or through broadband distribution, Xbox 360 will let players choose how to light up their high-definition content.

“Xbox 360 is a revolution that promises to ignite new levels of creativity, community and competition,” Bach said. “Tonight’s unveiling is a signal to the world that the next generation of gaming is here.”

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: May 13 2005, 2:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post May 13 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #49

Group Icon

Member No.: 85

xbox 360 pics here.

--------------------
I'm on iTunes!! as well as Amazon, emusic, ilike, immergent, last.fm, MOG, myspace, napster, and rhapsody.

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 16 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #50

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you, The Playstation 3:

http://img201.echo.cx/img201/4396/ps38vw.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben
post May 16 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #51

Group Icon

Member No.: 284

Please please please tell me that is a fake shot and it won't really be that ugly?

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post May 16 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #52

Hopping in puddles since 1984
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

I actually quite like the look of it, although it does seem quite bulky.

However, that controller looks appalling.

I reckon it's a fake picture all said and done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 16 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #53

It could be a fake. But heres even better news that is fact, straight from Gamespot.com from the 3 hour PS3 conference that is going on right now:

"It's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick duo, a SD slot, a compact flash memory slot, Compact flash slot, 2 hdmi outputs, 1 av multi out, 1 SPDIF optical output, 1-gigabit Ethernet built in port, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers."

"Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.

The main CELL processor included will run at 3.2GHz, and feature 7 SPEs. The nVidia GPU will run at 550MHz, and there will be two 256MB RAM sticks included, for a total of 512MB.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also supporrd CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R. It also confirmed the machine would be backwards compatible all the way to the original PlayStation."

Edit: Update From Gamespot

"Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer" based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors lager than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today. "

Edit 2:

This IS the official design. It has been put up on the official SCEE site.

[Dan: Please do not post large images on the board as it messes up the display for some users. Instead, either use smaller images, thumbnails or text links. Thanks.]

This post has been edited by Dan: May 17 2005, 12:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben
post May 16 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #54

Group Icon

Member No.: 284

Now THAT I do like

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 17 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #55

Thats nothing compared to some other angles -

http://www.cgno.com/news/media/1116287194_ps31.jpg
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/...4920450-000.jpg
http://www.filerushnews.com/images/album176/aac.sized.jpg

Woo... one of those CD-Drives where the disk slides in, rather than a tray. Somebody please tell me the technical name for that.

Edit: More impressive news - "We don't know much, but Sony promises that "Grand Theft Auto Next" will be a PS3 launch title. This information comes from some people at the Sony E3 2005 press conference currently in progress, but we've yet to confirm the report with our own editors."

From IGN - "They also ran the computer generated Spider-Man model from the actual Spider-Man 2 movie in real-time on PS3. Amazing."

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: May 17 2005, 12:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post May 17 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #56

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ May 17 2005, 01:08 AM)
From IGN - "They also ran the computer generated Spider-Man model from the actual Spider-Man 2 movie in real-time on PS3. Amazing."

I wondered why the font used on the new design was the Spider-Man movie font...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post May 17 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #57

I was wondering the same thing. I assume that will be changed to the traditional PS font.

One thing im unsure of... the pad... what on earth?

Maybe it will grow on me...

Newly announced PS3 Exlusives - New Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear 4, Gran Turismo 5.

lol, and to think Bill Gates said in Times something along the lines of "We are going to release Halo 3 to coincide with the PS3's release to add a big blow"... yeah... like that's gonna pursuade all of the PS fans... Not that im bothered... Xbox 360 for Xmas, PS3 next year at somepoint when its released.

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: May 17 2005, 12:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post May 17 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #58

Group Icon

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ May 17 2005, 01:08 AM)
"They also ran the computer generated Spider-Man model from the actual Spider-Man 2 movie in real-time on PS3. Amazing."

Which is quite apt given that the Playstation 3 font is very Spidermanesque.

But that really does look stunning, and I can just about visualise my bank bouncing as I stick it all on Switch. sad.gif

Edit: Yeah, what Dan said basically. smile.gif

This post has been edited by thekitkatshuffler: May 17 2005, 12:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post May 17 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #59

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ May 17 2005, 01:21 AM)
I was wondering the same thing. I assume that will be changed to the traditional PS font.

Maybe... but remember, Sony own the Spider-Man film franchise, so it's theirs to use if they wish.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post May 17 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #60

Group Icon

QUOTE (Dan @ May 17 2005, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ May 17 2005, 01:21 AM)

Maybe... but remember, Sony own the Spider-Man film franchise, so it's theirs to use if they wish.

And I hope they choose to do so, as it fits the design perfectly. Can't see the PS font looking as sleek.

--------------------

+Quote Post

72 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 7:23 PM