January Downtime
Crispy
post Jan 22 2009, 1:34 AM
Post #1

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

A bad start to 2009 for ATA with a few periods of downtime this month - hopefully we're all sorted now so I just wanted to take the chance to explain what's happened for those of you who are interested:

Forums Downtime: 2nd - 15th Jan inclusive
This was down to a server move, we'd been running the forums from a dedicated server for the past 12 months but this is no longer an economically viable option so we've had to move them to an alternative location. Our server contract was scheduled to cancel on 2nd Jan and after booking myself up for too many jobs over the Christmas break I never managed to get the forums moved before this date. Being on holiday, returning to Uni, etc. then pushed back the date for getting them back online.

Site Downtime: 13th Jan: 17:49 - 21:44
Unrelated to the forums problems, some of you may have noticed our homepage was compromised on the evening of 13th Jan. We traced this to a vulnerability within a third-party application on the site. We've 'plugged the hole' and the site is back to normal operation. No personal data of our members was compromised during this attack.

Forums Downtime: 21st Jan: all day
An unfortunate accident this one and my fault. I forgot to delete the database import scripts from our new home for the forums. This morning a search engine spider crawled the scripts and re-imported the database (breaking it in the process). We've now got the forums back online but unfortunately this has resulted the loss of data from the previous 5 days. Apologies for this but we were unable to restore it.

Hopefully that throws some insight on the reasons behind the downtime and I'd like to once again sincerely apologise for the poor availability of the forums this month. Hopefully this won't be a sign of things to come and we'll have a better track record for the rest of the year (and yes, I've deleted the import scripts this time!!).

Please feel free to re-post anything you may have added since the forums came back online last week, get the discussion going again smile.gif

Regards,

Crispy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 22 2009, 1:39 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Good on you for being honest and getting it all sorted, we all make mistakes. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Jan 22 2009, 9:26 AM
Post #3

Photographer
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 94

Wierd, 5 days of my online life have dissapeared!

Glad to be back, Now what did I post? tongue.gif

--------------------
Tom Bannister
ATA Site Photographer

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 8:47 AM