Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Future of ATA, Power to the people!
Future ATA Designs
Which version of ATA would you prefer to be implemented? (See below for screenshots)
Design 1 [ 22 ] ** [46.81%]
Design 2 [ 25 ] ** [53.19%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
Tom C
post Feb 19 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Group: Technical
Member No.: 330

QUOTE (darkomangagirl @ Feb 18 2009, 10:28 PM) *
Tskkkk design 1 gets my vote. Design 2 sucks...very basic, not liking it...although design one is a bit like bbc news...but that's a good thing smile.gif

Don't hold back, say what you really feel wink.gif

--------------------
ATA Team Member
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D4n
post Feb 19 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #22

Formerly 'AirRules'

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,249

Design 1- Cropped picture of Nemesis on design 2 looks pretty poor.

This post has been edited by AirRules: Feb 19 2009, 10:41 AM

+Quote Post
wrexham fan
post Feb 19 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #23

Official ATA Bog Cleaner
Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 2

Design 1 for me!

+Quote Post
darkomangagirl
post Feb 19 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,332

Well you wanted our opinions Tom!! Aww was that your design? It's winning anyway tongue.gif

--------------------
'What's that, you want to kill everyone and make a pretty picture out of their body parts? Come with me, take these tablets. Let's play a game of cluedo.' 2nd yr MH nurse, UOM.

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Feb 19 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

Haha, I did both tongue.gif

Edited to add: Thanks for the continued feedback, it's really useful when you tell us what you like/what you don't like.

Tom

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
jono2day
post Feb 19 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 957

Design 2; But I'd perhaps change the bottom of the screen with some of the links on, as its a bit block colour.
But both look really good smile.gif Cant wait to see the changes come into play!

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Feb 19 2009, 9:03 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 870

Design 1 is too busy, dont like it at all.

Design 2 is better - BUT..... whats wrong with the current layout, I think its good, clear and easy to navigate so why change it?

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Feb 19 2009, 9:11 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

We want to make some changes to the way the site works in terms of content. We also want more space to play with. I also personnally feel that the current design is a bit dated.

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
spinballwhizzer
post Feb 19 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 394

To be honest I prefer the current look to them both.

+Quote Post
Coaster_Dude
post Feb 20 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 946

I would say Design 1, number two looks a bit to simplistic for they type of info-heavy website ATA is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wez
post Feb 20 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

Member No.: 33

Design 1 all the way. Empty space is a big fat waste. wink.gif

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post Feb 20 2009, 1:37 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (spinballwhizzer @ Feb 19 2009, 11:28 PM) *
To be honest I prefer the current look to them both.

I agree. I think Design 1 is sort of too professional, too formal... and also too clustered. Design 2 is the polar opposite - it's too spacious and sort of looks a little too basic. The two designs are exact opposites - and I think you need something in between - which IMO is what the current site design is.

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Feb 20 2009, 2:21 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Thanks for the comments guys. The idea was to be deliberately different, and as has been said polar opposites to guage which type of look people like. I completely agree that there needs to be a merge of the two designs.

The problem with the current site is that it's starting to show it's age, and we want to move on. We also want to be flexible in terms of the layout of the site as the current one is quite restrictive in adding new modules etc as we are currently limited in page width - future versions of the site will stop supporting 800x600 resolution.

I also personnaly feel that the site is a little bit too formal for a theme park fansite and we want to reflect more of a 'fun' and approachable mind set.

Thanks for your comments though guys, and please do continue to leave them - I will look at them all. We will look at lots of ideas for a new version of the site, and I'm sure that our users will pay a big part in what we end up with!

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
wrexham fan
post Feb 20 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #34

Official ATA Bog Cleaner
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Personally, I prefer the formal look for ATA, I think it suits its regular visitors more. That being said, a casual browser might feel more inclined to visit a more 'fun' website design, such as TT, which also serves its purpose very well.

I suppose some kind of happy medium between the two would be the best best, I can't think of a way to describe it other than the fashion term smart/casual, which is about as descriptive as a non-descript thing.

I personally think that the formal look that ATA has, gives it a certain edge, and looks a lot more respectable and authorative (Again, I'm not saying that TT doesn't have these qualities, I just prefer a more formal design).

Much love x

+Quote Post
Ben
post Feb 21 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #35

Group Icon

Member No.: 284

Also prefer the current site, however in terms of the new ideas I like the concept of design one (lots of information in one place, lots of tabbed content and quick ways of getting at what you want) but the look and feel of design two is a lot nicer, so if you can find a midpoint, you should hit the spot.

+Quote Post
D4n
post Feb 27 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #36

Formerly 'AirRules'

Member No.: 11,249

Design 1 is just 2 votes behind! This is incredibly close- I think you should make both and call one altontowersalmanac.com and the other altontowersalmanac.co.uk happy.gif

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Feb 28 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #37

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Thanks for all your feedback, and please feel free to keep adding if you've only recently seen the topic or think of anything else smile.gif It's all very much appreciated and we're taking your comments into consideration as we work to develop the next look for the site.

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post Feb 28 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #38

Hopping in puddles since 1984
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

How is this so close? blink.gif

Let's see what we have here. There's Design One which is slick, compact yet uncluttered and professional looking. It brushes its teeth, tucks in its shirt and always (ALWAYS MIND!) uses coasters* on the coffee table.
Then we have Dezine Too. It's name is Shane, it works in the Early Learning Centre, it's self-consciously trendy, too much information scares it and it likes being a crazy fan without the burden of providing too much in the way of substance.

Ergo, Design One is awesome and dependable, whereas Dezine Too is retarded and its mother is disappointed in it. sleep.gif

Vote For Design One!!

* Do you see what I did there? happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Feb 28 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #39

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (thekitkatshuffler @ Feb 28 2009, 11:23 PM) *
* Do you see what I did there? happy.gif

Very clever wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jim
post Mar 4 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 869

I chose Design 2. I can't bring anything to the table except pretty much what others have said...

In my opinion, Design 1 is a complete text overload. Obviously you're just looking at the general layout at the moment but as AT news doesn't 'roll' that quickly (a brief look at the archives show on average just under 1 news story a week), I would be inclined to have just 1 or 2 substories as per Design 2 rather than the 4 on Design 1. Again, my personal preference but I like it when you visit a webpage and have all the information on screen without having to vertically scroll (common sense says to cater for 1280 x 1024 or maybe 1280 x 768 if you're taking into account laptops). Ya did it on the current version and looks like you'll be doing it on the new version whichever it may be, tops.

I think others have said it but I find Design 1 distinctly 'un-fun', there be white everywhere!

A poll is always a good bet and I like the quick access park map, both on Design 1. I think it's a great idea to try and get a stronger connection between the main site and the forums with the 'Recent forum activity' section as opposed to a single discreet text link, it may encourage general browsers further to enter the forums.

Not sure the two different sections (Resort News/Site News) is neccessary on Design 1? If there are, my opinion is that the tabs are quite subtle, maybe too much so.

Finally, are you determined to have random video streams on the homepage? Does your analytics prove they're popular? I'm sure if someone visited the site looking for videos they would be able to manage to find them under the features section? Don't fill space for the sake of it.

All very interesting though, I hope you go with something more similar to Design 2 than Design 1. smile.gif

EDIT: I noticed on both versions you no longer have a flash banner area. Deliberate or?

This post has been edited by Jim: Mar 4 2009, 1:45 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 8:47 AM