Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Future of ATA, Power to the people!
Future ATA Designs
Which version of ATA would you prefer to be implemented? (See below for screenshots)
Design 1 [ 22 ] ** [46.81%]
Design 2 [ 25 ] ** [53.19%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
garyholc
post Mar 4 2009, 2:12 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

QUOTE (Jim @ Mar 4 2009, 1:38 PM) *
EDIT: I noticed on both versions you no longer have a flash banner area. Deliberate or?

This isnt a bad thing, in work we cant access websites with Flash or Shockwave files, the page will load but will take ages and look a mess. Whatever design you choose must have the following:

- be simple to navigate and quick to load
- be easy to find what you want, quickly

Thats why the current site I think works well, the cascading menu at the top gives a fast way of finding what you want. Just having another play with the current site and it does work well. I actually think the problem with regards it feeling "out dated" is not so much the site and how it works, but more the graphics and text.

Why not play about with the colours, enhance some of the graphs to "polish" them off, try changing the fonts and experimenting with different fonts and sizes. For example, take a look at the Apple site (http://www.apple.com/uk/) - due to the fonts the site looks very clean, easy to read and modern. Its nothing special, no fancy graphics, an easy to use menu bar across the top, but it just "feels" different.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Mar 4 2009, 2:39 PM
Post #42

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Jim @ Mar 4 2009, 1:38 PM) *
but as AT news doesn't 'roll' that quickly (a brief look at the archives show on average just under 1 news story a week), I would be inclined to have just 1 or 2 substories as per Design 2 rather than the 4 on Design 1.

This is actually something we're discussing amongst the team, we don't always run many of the smaller news items in order to avoid knocking the current 'big' story from the top spot - something we can't avoid with the current layout/system. So we're looking at alternative ways of displaying and sorting news to allow us to cover the smaller stories too, pieces which currently just make the forums.

Site News/Updates - this probably won't be separately tabbed on the final version but we do want to implement a method of noting updates/changes/additions on the site - items that don't justify a full news story but other go unannounced (with the exception of things like the Gallery Updates topic, but again that's forums only at present).

+Quote Post
Jim
post Aug 24 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 869

Any further with this? I just got a 1900w monitor and boy does the homepage look narrow. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
D4n
post Aug 24 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #44

Formerly 'AirRules'

Member No.: 11,249

I still can't believe Design 1 is losing. smile.gif Though I believe that the current design beats them both.

+Quote Post
WilliamTM
post Aug 29 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 12,887

Design 2. But the tabs on 2 are horrible. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
D4n
post Nov 20 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #46

Formerly 'AirRules'

Any progress as far as the new design is concerned? smile.gif

+Quote Post
D4n
post Jan 8 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #47

Formerly 'AirRules'

Err... seriously, is anything actually happening here! smile.gif

+Quote Post
ewan2000
post Jul 1 2010, 4:52 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 14,722

Is the design going to change then?

--------------------
Please visit my Alton Towers fansite: Towers Spy

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jul 2 2010, 1:59 AM
Post #49

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Well, the person previously in charge of Development has just quit. Additionally, Dan (the bloke behind the majority of news/updates) isn't active at the moment and Crispy has said that something will be done to turn the situation around, although he's not alluded as to what (other than asking for PMs from those interested in helping) and hasn't given any sort of timescale.

In short - no, not for a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spike
post Sep 16 2010, 7:47 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,232

Any more info. on the current situation of the running of the site. I would be more then willing to assist.

It would be a shame to let this site go as it's one of the best AltonTowers fan sites.

+Quote Post
Coaster_Dude
post Sep 16 2010, 9:30 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 946

Really we need one regular to be given some moderation responsibilities so that we can get rid of the spammers. If they get more common, the site's going to die completely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hex
post Jan 1 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 1,842

WOO FIRST POST OF THE YEAR EVEN IF IT IS MEGA SPAM!

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
spike
post Jan 5 2011, 6:47 PM
Post #53

Any chance of a site update i.e whats going to happen with it. Please don't let it die its one of the best Alton towers sites on the net.

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 8 2011, 2:22 PM
Post #54

Group Icon

QUOTE (spike @ Jan 5 2011, 6:47 PM) *
Any chance of a site update i.e whats going to happen with it.

No.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spike
post Jan 8 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #55

Yeah it looks that way which is such a shame. Why are the staff just letting this site fade away.

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 11 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

The staff have all had enough, except the gaffer Crispy who's not prepared to give it away (ad revenue will have something to do with that).

--------------------

+Quote Post
hex
post Jan 12 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #57

But like I and many others have said, he doesn't have to give the site to anyone just allow them to use the admin cp to do some editing of the content and add some photos. Plus give them some mod rights to stop the forms looking like a shambles.

It's down right rude that they are just ignoring us though, this has driven away most of the regulars anyway.

SORT IT OUT FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wacko.gif

--------------------
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jan 12 2011, 1:45 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 870

Its very sad. Ive just had a quick look in and the place is now full of spam. I spoke to Crispy over scarefest and he said he would like to do something with the forums, but just hasnt the time. Something I fully appreciate given work committments, however, I and others have offered to help get rid of the spam and keep the forums running at least, but we have all received no reply, something which I find sad and somewhat insulting to the long term members, and site supporters who have paid money to help support this site.

Guys, no one cares anymore, the site is dead and the forums are dead. Those who have control of the site dont care about it, and wont hand over control of the site, or moderation of the forums to anyone else. Really, really sad to see the site go down like this, like a discarded tissue, but hey ho, thats what has happened.

The great ATA is no more, I wouldnt bother wasting your time coming here anymore, no one else cares, time to move on. Nice knowing you all, even you WillPS given our past spats...... can the last person please turn off the light......

+Quote Post
hex
post Jan 12 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #59

I'm moving to Towers Nerd.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 19 2011, 9:35 AM
Post #60

Group Icon

QUOTE (garyholc @ Jan 12 2011, 1:45 AM) *
Its very sad. Ive just had a quick look in and the place is now full of spam. I spoke to Crispy over scarefest and he said he would like to do something with the forums, but just hasnt the time. Something I fully appreciate given work committments, however, I and others have offered to help get rid of the spam and keep the forums running at least, but we have all received no reply, something which I find sad and somewhat insulting to the long term members, and site supporters who have paid money to help support this site.

Guys, no one cares anymore, the site is dead and the forums are dead. Those who have control of the site dont care about it, and wont hand over control of the site, or moderation of the forums to anyone else. Really, really sad to see the site go down like this, like a discarded tissue, but hey ho, thats what has happened.

The great ATA is no more, I wouldnt bother wasting your time coming here anymore, no one else cares, time to move on. Nice knowing you all, even you WillPS given our past spats...... can the last person please turn off the light......

You too dude, it's been fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 1:39 PM