Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Are there any plans for the Churnet Valley Railway to go to Alton?, Or is it just rumor?
hex
post Mar 29 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,842

Well, Alton Towers brings a lot of money into the local economy for one.
I have been to many railways and don't believe that they are exceptionally noisy to be fair.
Personally I would say that it would bring more visitors to the area as the CVR is always very busy from my experience and lengthening it would only improve matters.
If the so called unwelcome visitors were to stop going there would be a lot less jobs in the area and a lot of other businesses not just Alton Towers would shut.

Obviously it's fair enough you live in the area and I agree that at the moment the situation isn't ideal with the levels of traffic etc.
However, I would love to live in Alton so you can swap with me if you want peace and quiet tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Mar 29 2011, 6:03 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

QUOTE (riverlass @ Mar 29 2011, 2:45 PM) *
QUOTE (hex @ Mar 29 2011, 1:04 PM) *
What would the disadvantages of having a rail connection?
Fair enough there would be a small amount of noise, but this would be minimal and not constant.

Hex

The disadvantage's would be-
noise a lot of it, have you ever been to a railway?
Dirt
unwelcome visitors to our lovely area which is our home not a holiday camp.
More litter which will be chucked out of the train
disruption for residents because of the level crossing
Disturbance of wildlife
Pollution
Smell Diesel and smoke.
Losing our best flat and very well used footpath, this is a footpath not a disused railway. there are no tracks on it.
It would kill off some of the local businesses because we would not be able to get to them.
We would see less of the welcome visitors who come here to walk and appreciate and enjoy the beauty of the area, therefore losing that revenue.

This is an area of outstanding beauty not a holiday camp it about time the residents were considered in all this.

I can't see any advantage not one, and it would add hours to anyone's journey.

For starters, lets remember we're talking about reopening a railway, not building a new one.

RE: Holiday camp
Alton Towers has been a visitor attraction for centuries. A railway line will not change this; it'll bring more visitors in whilst keeping road pollution down.

RE: Litter dropped out of trains
I've never known this to be a problem - in fact, most trains built after 1990 run with the windows shut permanently so the air conditioning can run properly

RE: disruption for residents because of the level crossing
hahahahahahahahahahahaha next

RE: Disturbance of wildlife
Wildlife will move on just as they moved in; there's plenty of space out there in the Staffordshire Moorlands for them.

RE: Pollution
Please. Per passenger the amount of pollution is far, far lower than travelling by car (and I expect the trains will be nothing short of rammed, no matter what length)

RE: Smell Diesel and smoke.
We're in the grounds of real NIMBYism here. The smell of Diesel is only noticable when you are literally lineside and even then it lasts only moment as a train passes. As for "smoke", have you been to a train station in the last 50 years? The age of steam is over!!

RE: Losing our best flat and very well used footpath, this is a footpath not a disused railway. there are no tracks on it.
You don't need tracks to form a disused railway, you need for it to have previously been a railway.

RE: It would kill off some of the local businesses because we would not be able to get to them.
Are we still talking about the barriers? All other routes across the line would probably be protected, so long as you declare them at the right stages.

RE: We would see less of the welcome visitors who come here to walk and appreciate and enjoy the beauty of the area, therefore losing that revenue.
Pretty sure that income is and would be dwarfed by the revenue Alton Towers bring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
da_v
post Mar 29 2011, 7:17 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,419

QUOTE (riverlass @ Mar 29 2011, 4:13 PM) *
QUOTE (da_v @ Mar 29 2011, 3:56 PM) *
if it takes some relief of the over clogged roads in alton then a train would be better for the area reusing what was once a railway must be better than building something brand new

No it won't solve anything I don't think people would use it, like I said before it would add hours to the journey. It the road in Alton that's the problem. Anyway why such we suffer for Alton Towers it does nothing for us, its just a pain in the neck. Most residents are sick of it and would like to see it shut down.

Residents may be sick of it but it aint going anywhere. I dont agree that it will take hours to get there, some people who happen to vist the park dont have transport and rely on using taxi's and buses from uttoxerter or stoke area's with the line back in place this will considerbly reduce these options

the arguments Will gave are all better than the actual statements and this case is truly a NIMBY argument

--------------------
When he shoots himself in the foot, he uses a cannon so big it takes his whole leg off.

+Quote Post
coaster-crazy
post Apr 7 2011, 7:04 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,037

I heard the Stoke line constuction has started? Has anyone got or can get any constuction pictures of the stoke line? It would be ace to watch the line come back to life rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 4:33 PM