He's working on Thorpe's 09 coaster too. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trigger Happy
post Jun 19 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,371

It looks to me like wardely went off for leak and some coaster nut followed with camera. In all honesty I don't think the woodie as originaly planed is coming sad.gif . 2009 is meant to see yet another family ride and we can only hope 2010 sees something good.

+Quote Post
Jonathan
post Jun 19 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 14

I wouldn't mind if corkscrew was removed. I think a fitting tribute would be to have a double corkscrew on the same site. In fact, perhaps they could be interlocking double corkscrews; would that be a World's first? To do that though it would mean that steel would have to be used. Personally, for AT's next coaster I would prefer a woodie similar to the cross valley designs.

--------------------
Jonathan Foster
ATA Team Member

------------------------

+Quote Post
Elementist
post Jun 20 2008, 4:45 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 6,200

Why would they need John for clearing some trees? John is not used to clear trees, he is used to help with coasters.
Come on' who are you skeptics kidding?

You don't have to be smart to work out that something BIG is coming, its going to be the climax of AT. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jun 20 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

QUOTE (Jonathan @ Jun 20 2008, 12:31 AM) *
I wouldn't mind if corkscrew was removed. I think a fitting tribute would be to have a double corkscrew on the same site. In fact, perhaps they could be interlocking double corkscrews; would that be a World's first? To do that though it would mean that steel would have to be used. Personally, for AT's next coaster I would prefer a woodie similar to the cross valley designs.

I always thought it would be a nice idea to keep the corkscrew element from the ride and placed it over a paved area, perhaps painted silver or something... I think that might be somebody elses idea I've stolen there mind!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bulk007
post Jun 30 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,881

on park the rumor is that the giant gurgle coaster is going next the theatre where all the land has been cleared the sweepers do not park there as previously stated!! and cred sreet is going to get a make over!!

and that corkscrew is going or certainly having some major work done on it!!

+Quote Post
skelly
post Jun 30 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 12,915

What sort of major work could it undergo, other than almost a rebuild. if this was the case I think it will go and the site prepared for something better. Has it not been posted somewhere else that the gurgle coaster idea is a non starter?

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jul 1 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #28

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

Putting those fancy new trains on it would be good. It's slightly boring as a ride now though. I wonder how easy it'd be to re-engineer it and add some more elements? Surely must be cheaper than building a whole new coaster?

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Jul 2 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (WillPS @ Jun 21 2008, 12:34 AM) *
QUOTE (Jonathan @ Jun 20 2008, 12:31 AM) *

I always thought it would be a nice idea to keep the corkscrew element from the ride and placed it over a paved area, perhaps painted silver or something... I think that might be somebody elses idea I've stolen there mind!

yeah. i posted that idea MANY moons ago *rips idea out of head* tongue.gif

EDIT. please. just get rid of corkie. its old. it needs to be put out of its misery. lol

This post has been edited by cookiee_munster: Jul 2 2008, 12:30 AM

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
darkomangagirl
post Jul 2 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,332

Corkscrew really needs to go. Maybe they will try and sell it to another park? It's too rickety to be a major player now, despite it's age it gives people whiplash! Now that would be a good name for it. Could the tree clearing (aside from maintenance) not be for the new hotel?

--------------------
'What's that, you want to kill everyone and make a pretty picture out of their body parts? Come with me, take these tablets. Let's play a game of cluedo.' 2nd yr MH nurse, UOM.

+Quote Post
Alans
post Jul 2 2008, 5:20 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 5,159

New hotel? am I missing something here?

I really think Corkscrew should stay until it's 30th. Do what you want with it then. It also isn't that rough if you sit in the right place. Peple over-exaggerate and jump on the bandwagon. Sit on the second to last row, seat on the right. That is the best place to sit, and it isn't rough at all. Sit there and you can forget about pain and still see it is a fun coaster. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 8 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #32

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

Taken from the ATA homepage:

Corkscrew to go in 2009?
Tuesday, 8th July 2008

It is heavily rumoured that Corkscrew, the roller coaster that put Alton Towers on the map, will be removed at the end of next year.

Corkscrew was installed in 1980 and was responsible for visitor numbers more than doubling in its first year of operation. Its arrival proved to be a turning point for Alton Towers, taking them from the gentile leisure park of the 1970s to the fully fledged theme park of the 1980s.

Now, however, it is thought that the ride will be removed on the eve of its 30th birthday, possibly to make way for a new roller coaster in Ug Land in 2010. It's believed that the trains on the ride need to be replaced soon, and that the cost of doing so would be too great to justify.

Additionally, in what seem to be big plans for the area, it is rumoured that Ug Swinger may go as soon as the end of this year, or possibly mid-way through next season.

Adding to the speculation is the fact that senior managers for Alton Towers have recently been spotted several times walking through Ug Land, examining plans. John Wardley, the mastermind behind other coasters at the park including Nemesis, Oblivion and Air, has also been seen in the area.

If the ride does go, it will be a sad day for most fans of the park; it would be the second such removal of an iconic attraction in six years following the removal of the Swan Boats ride at the end of 2003. However, few would argue that the latter's (eventual) successor, Battle Galleons, is not as good - and many also now find the ageing Corkscrew rough and uncomfortable to ride.

For next year, meanwhile, current rumours indicate two new rides, one of which possibly being a children's water ride in Cred Street, near where Bouncing Bugs is currently situated.

We'll keep you updated on all of these rumours as and when we hear more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
miss_e_afro
post Jul 8 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 1,044

ohmy.gif Can't they keep Corkscrew for a couple more years, until it is 30. What a shame if it does go now sad.gif

And the water ride in Cred St sounds interesting- but it means lots of people will be coming into Caffe Express wet- more mopping up for me lol

+Quote Post
darkomangagirl
post Jul 9 2008, 7:51 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,332

QUOTE (Alans @ Jul 2 2008, 6:20 PM) *
I really think Corkscrew should stay until it's 30th. Do what you want with it then. It also isn't that rough if you sit in the right place. Peple over-exaggerate and jump on the bandwagon. Sit on the second to last row, seat on the right. That is the best place to sit, and it isn't rough at all. Sit there and you can forget about pain and still see it is a fun coaster. wink.gif

I'm not jumping on any bandwagon, I am a small person,and the restrains are too big, so I do jolt around in the seat. Nowt I can do about it other than not ride it I suppose.

--------------------
'What's that, you want to kill everyone and make a pretty picture out of their body parts? Come with me, take these tablets. Let's play a game of cluedo.' 2nd yr MH nurse, UOM.

+Quote Post
Dyce3
post Jul 9 2008, 1:47 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,003

Finally the Corkscrew is leaving wink.gif . In my opinion the ride was getting a bit rough and in need of newer trains. However if they remove the Corkscrew, will Ug Land die with it?

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 9 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #36

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

It's thought that if Corkscrew and Ug Swinger go, then the area would probably be rethemed as only Rita would be left - and that was never totally Ug Land themed anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jul 9 2008, 2:40 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 870

While sad to see it go, the ride cant continue forever. As Dan said, the cars need to be relplaced soon, and although the ride (and the noise of the lift hill) is iconic, it cant be compared to the likes of Nemesis and Air. Removal of the ride will be easy due to its structure, so no major cost or time involved there. Will be good to have a new major ride in this area.

Just a thought, but given some of the empty buildings in AT, a good addition would be an AT museum. Have parts of the rides in there (such as wheels from Black Hole for example), an old swan boat, one of the black hole cars, large photos, video displays, even noises, for example, press a button next to the corkscrew stand to hear the noise of the lift hill! Could have pictures of the towers, the gardens etc. i'm sure a lot of people would visit....

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jul 9 2008, 4:05 PM
Post #38

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

An AT Museum - I'd love to work on setting that up! We'd probably be the closest museum design company to Alton too wink.gif But I guess it would be one of those places where everyone will go when its wet. And if you've seen it once, you won't want to see it again, so maybe after its first two years, no one would go in again unless they continually updated it. Would probably be the most expensive museum entrance free in the UK though, £34!

+Quote Post
cactuselves
post Jul 9 2008, 4:27 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 143

Forgetting the fact that Corky and Ug's are probably leaving, what is going to replace them!!? I personally hope its a 'proper' coaster i.e. looping floorless or woodie, rather than a smaller scale spinball whizzer or euro fighter style machine.

This post has been edited by cactuselves: Jul 9 2008, 4:33 PM

+Quote Post
Airtime Addict
post Jul 9 2008, 5:40 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 55

It would be great if it were something that utilises the valley as well. Imagine a woodie that was under treetop height for the most part in the Ugland area, but then its last drop dived down into the valley with just enough momentum to bring itself back up to the station. This would be a better option than actually crossing the valley, I'd reckon.

Incidentally, is there anything at Alton Towers bar the Towers themselves that could become an iconic image for the park? As fantastic as Air, Nemesis and Oblivion are, there's no simple shot of any of them that sums the place up. Maybe the (possible) new ride will?

Just rambling.

--------------------
Life is just a party

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 8:50 AM