Thirteen: General, All general Thirteen discussion
Dan
post Jun 19 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

This is the general Secret Weapon 6 thread, which replaces the previous topic.

Please keep any discussion relating to theming in the dedicated theming topic, and any photos or news from the construction site in the construction thread. Thanks!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdrianB
post Jun 24 2009, 1:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,202

I wonder if people will be in the sitting position on SW6?

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jun 28 2009, 9:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,274

Wonder when the opening is going to be? How about May2010? Cheese! wink.gif

QUOTE (AdrianB @ Jun 24 2009, 2:13 PM) *

Do Intamin do a stand up coaster? unsure.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
AdrianB
post Jun 28 2009, 9:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,202

Yeah but they look like B&M's
Shockwave is a good example.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 1 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #5

Web Developer
Group Icon

In an article from the Uttoxeter Advertiser, Ian Crabbe has made some comments regarding SW6:

QUOTE (Ian Crabbe)
Some of the groundwork has started and it will be open for the start of the season in 2010. It will be unique in the world - the only one of its kind.

So that echoes former park boss Russell Barnes' comments about it being a world's first. It also reveals that as with most previous coasters, the park are aiming to have the ride ready for opening day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jul 1 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #6

So no May cheese then... laugh.gif (anyone who has a certain person from towers on their facebook friends list will understand that comment from the other night wink.gif)

So, a March opening for SW6 then...

You missed out an intresting following comment Dan...

"It is important to keep our product fresh and this ride will provide a very sustainable future for the park and job security for local people. - Very sustainable future for the park... Wonder what that means.. I am cuffuzzled now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 1 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #7

Web Developer
Group Icon

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Jun 28 2009, 10:12 PM) *
QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Jul 1 2009, 8:09 PM) *
So no May cheese then... laugh.gif (anyone who has a certain person from towers on their facebook friends list will understand that comment from the other night wink.gif)

If anybody else is having trouble with their smugometer exploding when you read the above... what AJ means is that James Paulding posted the following on his Facebook the other night: "James has bought some Halloumi cheese as it can stay in the fridge until May 2010! I may eat it on the opening of SW6 to celebrate!"

As for the second comment, I left it out because it's a reference to the fact that any investment like this will generate more income and opportunities for more jobs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jul 1 2009, 8:51 PM
Post #8

Thanks for that Dan laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hex Legend of th...
post Jul 14 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,903

Some of the guys over at TTF seem to think they've cracked what the world first element might be:

QUOTE ("Scorpe")

Green = Track, Brown = Ground Level

1) Train will enter into "The Building" where then special effects yada yada will happen...

2) Then sudden plumit to below ground level (hence such a big pit on site at the moment)

3) Then more special effects as train and track are then raised to just above ground level, but lower than where the train entered the building (maybe effect to make it feel as though your not even moving or going back up to above ground level)

4) Then "bang" suddenly, straight bk out backwards, without expecting it....

Seems rather plausible to me as I dont think a drop tower style free fall has ever been combined with a coaster before which would explain both the worlds first element and the large trench that seems to have appeared on site.

This post has been edited by Hex Legend of the Towers: Jul 14 2009, 4:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jul 14 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 870

Would be good - though again I question if the ride throughput would not suffer too much...? Its going to have to be at least a minute inside that building for there to be a decent story and effects.... I think whatever it is, it will tie in somehow with the Hex legend....

+Quote Post
JoshC.
post Jul 14 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,206

In other words, a dropping coaster or dropping track. Seems like a plausible idea yes, but how reliable will it be, especially when it first opens?

Also, looking at the other SW_ as well as being told we will get a 'world's first coaster of it's design', just one element doesn't seem to be all that great. All the other SW were the first of their kind in track design (Nemesis=Inverted, Oblivion=vertical drop, Air=Flyer), so it doesn't seem to be all that big. Also, if the park were going to boast about having a world's first, wouldn't they want the world first to be big and plain in site, instead of hidden by a building?

+Quote Post
EdwinOkli
post Jul 14 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,875

If this is the world first element then SW6 with truly live upto its name secrecy-wise.

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Jul 14 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8

We know it is a bi-track sit-down coaster with a dark forest theme and some kind of indoor drop section...

Everything else in the image has came to fruition, shouldn't we just assume that the last piece of the puzzle is the piece that perfectly fits? Though with the tilt going backwards rather than forwards.

The drop tower track looks to me to be too complicated and expensive for a less than great result. A horizontal drop that size wouldn't be that great. Probably prone to breaking too, being a completely new element. It'd also give the coaster no propulsion so you'd have to add a backwards launch into the mix and it'd have to be gradual to prevent neck injuries. Throughput would probably be a problem.

A tilt track solves virtually all of these problems. The technology exists and isn't as complicated, it wouldn't be as expensive, it wouldn't take as long and the drop itself would produce enough speed to get around the helix without causing too much force. Not only that but I personally think it would be scarier to tilt backward in the dark, especially if you're not expecting it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Jul 15 2009, 7:49 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 1,120

QUOTE (JoshC. @ Jul 14 2009, 6:57 PM) *
Also, looking at the other SW_ as well as being told we will get a 'world's first coaster of it's design', just one element doesn't seem to be all that great. All the other SW were the first of their kind in track design (Nemesis=Inverted, Oblivion=vertical drop, Air=Flyer), so it doesn't seem to be all that big. Also, if the park were going to boast about having a world's first, wouldn't they want the world first to be big and plain in site, instead of hidden by a building?

Nemesis and Air were not world first coasters. Nemesis was preceded by Top Gun and Air by its Vekoma rival. Of course, Air was the first "next-gen" flyer - but not the first flyer.

Only Oblivion was AT's true world-first. Nemesis, Air and Rita were all European firsts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jul 15 2009, 9:25 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 870

Wasnt Air the world first because of the way the riders are put in the flying position. While there were other flyer's out there, Air was the first to tilt the riders to "assume the position"???

+Quote Post
Hex Legend of th...
post Jul 15 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,903

QUOTE (garyholc @ Jul 15 2009, 10:25 AM) *
Wasnt Air the world first because of the way the riders are put in the flying position. While there were other flyer's out there, Air was the first to tilt the riders to "assume the position"???

I believe Air was the only flying coaster to move from seated position to the flying position.

The Vekoma model works like so:

But to be quite honest I think it is very cheeky of B&M and Alton Towers to claim to be the world's first flying coaster simply because of the new loading system. I think the first actual flying coaster wasn't even a Vekoma was it? It was a strange single passenger coaster called Skytrack at the short lived Granada Studios theme park.

Anyway back on topic:

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ Jul 15 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Everything else in the image has came to fruition, shouldn't we just assume that the last piece of the puzzle is the piece that perfectly fits?

I wouldn't say everything in the image has come into fruition at all. The only things we know is that the coaster is most likely to be an Intamin and it has a world's first element or is a world's first coaster that has a dark forest theme. Admittedly the image shows a dark forest theme inside a building but I wouldn't necessarily say that is definitely what the outcome will look like considering it is a secret weapon project. And unless, like Air, Alton Towers are going to make a cheeky claim about a tilt coaster being a world's first because of a slight difference then I do not see how this picture fits in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Jul 15 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Hex Legend of the Towers @ Jul 15 2009, 11:21 AM) *
QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ Jul 15 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Everything else in the image has came to fruition, shouldn't we just assume that the last piece of the puzzle is the piece that perfectly fits?

I wouldn't say everything in the image has come into fruition at all. The only things we know is that the coaster is most likely to be an Intamin and it has a world's first element or is a world's first coaster that has a dark forest theme. Admittedly the image shows a dark forest theme inside a building but I wouldn't necessarily say that is definitely what the outcome will look like considering it is a secret weapon project. And unless, like Air, Alton Towers are going to make a cheeky claim about a tilt coaster being a world's first because of a slight difference then I do not see how this picture fits in.

I'm not saying definitely, I just think it's a best guess right now. The theme matches, and the element shown would fit in with what we know. I think it will be like Air in that it'll be a twist on an existing element to make it technically a world first - a backwards tilt. 99% of the general public won't even know a tilt coaster exists at all. I don't think a tilt should be any less likely just because we've been shown one and it's a secret weapon. At the end of the day, it's still guess work so their secret is still kept.

--------------------

+Quote Post
coastermadab
post Jul 15 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 14,250

QUOTE (Hex Legend of the Towers @ Jul 14 2009, 5:46 PM) *
Seems rather plausible to me as I dont think a drop tower style free fall has ever been combined with a coaster before which would explain both the worlds first element and the large trench that seems to have appeared on site.

The be honest, I was thinking that would happen too. "The world's first dropping coaster." Is this what Alton Towers may market the ride as? Anyway, it all makes sense. Intamin are experienced enough in building drop towers hense why maybe B&M were not chosen this time round to manufacture SW6. Knowing what the next 10 years have in store for the park, who knows, we may see B&M return in the future!

Now its just a matter of playing the waiting game... Bring on 2010!

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Jun 28 2009, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE (AdrianB @ Jun 24 2009, 2:13 PM) *

Do Intamin do a stand up coaster? unsure.gif ph34r.gif

Yeah, but they did a rubbish job. Its a poor show for Intamin to be fair. Shockwave is a prime example at Drayton Manor and features the same track configuration as an B&M Stand-up and some argue its a world's first. This is because it was the first and so far only stand up to contain a Zero G roll. Despite this, the ride is very rough and painfull and most people come off the ride glad its over!

+Quote Post
Cjw
post Jul 15 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 393

I wouldn't say that Shockwave was that rough.

It is however, damn boring.

+Quote Post
EdwinOkli
post Jul 15 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,875

I can never imagine a stand-up coaster being too comfortable, although I suppose if done well the unusual position can create some real thrills... but it's not something Alton Towers desperately needs.

I think the train may be strange in some way but it's just the way in which it could be that bewilders me. World's Most Uncomfortable Seats... etc.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 8:49 AM