Whirlpool, Waterfall and Water Guns! [ 19 ] ** [63.33%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
kingjohno
post Dec 2 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,824

I think that the Congo River Rapids needs to be improved. I don't mind if a sponsor is used as long as its only like the Imperial Leather one for the Flume.

I think that we could add:

A whirlpool, fast flowing and something completly unexpected. Its dead fast and fun but still allowing the ride to be family orientated.

Changing the station to a moving ramp where it lifts the raft out of the water using a moving ranp which riders can then simply walk to their raft. For ease of use and help for young children, the elderly and disabled people.

Adding water guns would allow an interactive element outside of the ride.

A moving waterfall would add a bit of mystery to the ride as well as an additional interactive element.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snake
post Dec 2 2006, 8:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 34

Water guns are fun things, specially to aim at people you dont like.. tongue.gif

--------------------
Richard Nicholls
ATA Member
Alton Towers Database

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Dec 2 2006, 9:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,363

Yeah, or just anyone else that is on the ride, why should only yo get wet. my only concern with this is tha it is tussards which will mean it will work for about a week. Lol. I think the changing of the station ramp thing is a bit extreme and i don't really see that as a big improvement, they can stop the ride when they need to, if people need help.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
kingjohno
post Dec 2 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #4

What do you guys think of the whirlpool?

+Quote Post
themeparkrider2
post Dec 2 2006, 9:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,074

I think its a very good idea.

+Quote Post
duckman
post Dec 2 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,352

I seem to spend half my life arguing this on TTF, but anyway: putting water guns around the rapids is not a good idea.

Picture a typical British summers day: clouldy and fairly cool. Now picture some kid with a water gun who's sole intention is to soak you as much as physically possible. Not fun really, and it will put people off.
Its OK in america where they can practically guarantee good weather for six months, but over here water rides have to allow for the fact that a lot of the time you don't want to get drenched. Remember also its a family ride, and quite a lot of kids wouldn't like being soaked by someone with a water gun.

The old fountains they had were good though - you might get soaked or you might get lucky, but they would only be used when weather permitted.

I don't think a new station would be practical, maybe they could slow it down a little to give people a little more time as the 8 seater rafts take longer to load/unload than the old ones.

Thats not to say I'm against all your ideas. A waterfall over the tunnel entrance that switched off at the very last minute would be great (maybe it could be set so that you might get a bit of spray if you happen to be seated in the wrong place). A whirlpool would also be interesting, but I'm not sure how it would work, or if its even possible.

To be honest I think the rapids is pretty good as is it, it would benefit from a spruce up certainly, but I wouldn't put it high up on the list of priorites.

--------------------
The ducks are coming... to alton towers.

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Dec 2 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,363

I have to agree with Duckman really. I think the highest priority is a tidy up of X-Sector. The River Rapids are a good family ride. I cannot see a whirlpool working at all.
In terms of the guns, you could have a time limit on the guns like 5 secs etc, and i am sure they could be hooked up to the ride to prevent them being used on cold days etc.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
Snake
post Dec 2 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 34

The thing is tho, Because the boat would be moving and the Gun wouldnt be that powerful, you would only be able to get shot once and about a few seconds... not like ages! It all depends on where it would be placed..

--------------------
Richard Nicholls
ATA Member
Alton Towers Database

+Quote Post
kingjohno
post Dec 2 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #9

The whirlpool thing does work and it's brilliant fun! I went on a rapids ride with practically the same layout as Alton's but you went into a large whirlpool which spun you round and then droped you down a 'waterfall' which then crashed down into the place where the waterfalls etc. were.

The station I've seen somewhere else and its honestly miles easy to get on than the current version, plus its pretty funny if somebody falls and trys to scrample back up before they fall into the actual track.....

+Quote Post
duckman
post Dec 2 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,352

QUOTE (kingjohno @ Dec 2 2006, 10:24 PM) *
its pretty funny if somebody falls and trys to scrample back up before they fall into the actual track

That doesn't sound any safer than what they have now really.

I very much doubt AT will be willing to make any major alterations to the station, as it would cost an absolute fortune, and it would be a little pointless. Also, a linear station probably wouldn't fit in the space. Slowing down the turntable slightly would be far cheaper and just as effective.

As for adding some kind of drop, that would require the raising of the upstream section of the ride (the end cannot be lowered due to the lake), which would have to be rebuilt, which is both impractical and ludicrously expensive.

--------------------
The ducks are coming... to alton towers.

+Quote Post
kingjohno
post Dec 2 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #11

http://www.parcbagatelle.com/v2/uk/parcuk.html

Thats the park, by the way I'm only 13 so don't expect me to know about lowering the track etc.

The turntable could be quite easily be turned into the thing it'd cost about £300,000 which in AT land is not an awful lot

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Dec 3 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 113

Some nice ideas, but they are not really very realistic.

Firstly, the turntable on rapids rides allows for the operators to unload and load multiple boats together, its the most efficient system for rapids rides, thus shorter queues. Also, the speed of the turntable can be changed, but when its slower, the throughput decreases.

Physical changes to the rapids ride would be expensive. The whirlpool system requires quite a difference in height, so some serious work would be needed, especially if you want it to drop at the end. Then you'd have to look at the boats, which would need chaning to suit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe-18
post Dec 3 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,739

An idea I have been thinking of is like the last section of Valhalla were you leave the indoor part. There is an explosion of water that fires up into the air and gets you wet, but not drenched. I think this would be a great feature, maybe in the tunnel so riders would not be expecting it.

Joe smile.gif

--------------------
Prepare For Air ... Sit Back ... It's Fright Time ...
Don't ... Look ... Down ... Go Go Go ...

+Quote Post
kingjohno
post Dec 3 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #14

Honestly the moving ranp station is miles easier for ride operators. It means that there are never any stoppages if an elderly person or disabled person needs to get on because theirs enough time.

+Quote Post
Trev
post Dec 4 2006, 5:08 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 258

Put some nice boats on that didn't cost a pound to make.

As for other ideas, I think the rapids are generally fine as they are. Spruce up with regards to theming, but the layout is ok. I don't really want it any wetter and some of the other ideas are a bit too costly although are good fun.

+Quote Post
quickey
post Dec 4 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,618

I think that they need to change the boats, have water guns that arenít to powerful and are turned off in bad whether, a couple of the Valhalla water blasters pleased where they donít get you very wet (more of a shock factor), and an interactive waterfall as well as a lick of paint.

--------------------

I have dyslexia and really canít spell. Feel free to correct me!

+Quote Post
boroboyWally
post Sep 19 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 14,959

no guns because when people go on it they dont wanna get wet

+Quote Post
cotda
post Oct 3 2010, 9:07 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 14,734

QUOTE (boroboyWally @ Sep 19 2010, 8:39 PM) *
no guns because when people go on it they dont wanna get wet

Its a water ride?

+Quote Post
lynn1221
post Nov 23 2010, 6:14 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,048

I am successfully running 8 bots on a linux shell hosting server with very few problems under the current version of Mono (2.6.4) compiled from sources, although there are some packages out there for several distributions.
ugg boots cheap
You will find that Mono won't be 'backgrounded' so-to-speak, and to this end I recommend using a 'screen' session to give you a shell that you can disconnect from without causing any mayhem!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 12:00 AM