post Jun 24 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #1

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

Long term development plan to be revealed
Wednesday, 24th June 2009

Blueprints for Alton Towers' future are set to be unveiled to the public this weekend.

The plans, which have been drawn up since Merlin acquired Tussaud's in 2007, include details of multi-million pound investments over the coming years in new attractions, infrastructure, heritage, and more accommodation for the resort.

Anyone interested in the plans will be able to view them on Friday or Saturday in an exhibition held at one of the hotels.

Visitors can see the plans between 12pm and 9pm on Friday in the Emperor's Suite of the Alton Towers Hotel, and 10am to 4pm on Saturday in Sir Algenon's Lounge in the Alton Towers Conference Centre.

Some of the elements believed to be part of the plan are:
  • Wooden roller coaster, possibly sited in Ug Land
  • Secret Weapon 6
  • Two new hotels (one similar to the existing hotels, the other a series of chalets/log cabins)
  • A large extension to the waterpark, Cariba Creek
  • Park entrance to be relocated closer to the hotels
  • Several new smaller rides
  • Enterprise to finally leave the park
Ian Crabbe, Divisional Director at Alton Towers, said: "We very much hope that our local community will be pleased by our confidence in the future of the resort, and interested in our broad development strategy, particularly in the current economic environment.

"However, this exhibition is open to everybody who has an interest in the resort, not just residents of Alton and Farley.

"Our economic impact spreads throughout the Staffordshire Moorlands and the West Midlands and a stable future for us represents good news for the many businesses that also rely on us."

We'll let you know what the plans actually entail, and how accurate our list above is. Watch this space...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luke
post Jun 24 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 75

Wow! Thankyou for those details Dan! Enterprise leaving the park, noooo!

+Quote Post
WilliamTM
post Jun 24 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,887

QUOTE (Dan @ Jun 24 2009, 8:38 PM) *
Visitors can see the plans between 12pm and 9pm on Friday, and 10am to 4pm on Saturday in the Emperor's Suite of the Alton Towers Hotel.

Does that mean anyone, eg, me, can turn up and look? happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 24 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #4

Web Developer
Group Icon

Yep, it's open to the public. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hex Legend of th...
post Jun 24 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,903

Call me a pessimist but I severely doubt a wooden coaster will go ahead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
D4n
post Jun 24 2009, 8:56 PM
Post #6

Formerly 'AirRules'

Member No.: 11,249

I don't know about that, Hex. I can certainly see it happening. Hopefully it'll replace Rita! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hex Legend of th...
post Jun 24 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,903

QUOTE (Air Dan @ Jun 24 2009, 9:56 PM) *
Hopefully it'll replace Rita! smile.gif

That would be nice, but I doubt they would remove what is a relatively young coaster. I wouldn't make much business sense to do so.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love an Alton Towers wooden coaster to become reality but I just don’t see it happening. I think we just have a lot of hopeful enthusiasts who seem to be obsessed with the idea of a wooden coaster since the original 2003 plans were entered. I do hope I'm wrong but I won't believe Alton will get one until there is more hard evidence which should hopefully be provided this weekend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 24 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #8

Web Developer
Group Icon

So is anybody from here gonna check this out on Friday or Saturday? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jun 25 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 348

RPG, Gemma Gem and I will be on park this Saturday. I reckon we'll have a look.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jun 25 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,274

I may take a tootle up this weekend.. who knows, this may answer the long awaited question... Will Ugland become UltimateG'sLand? biggrin.gif tongue.gif Someone stop this humor supply which is apparently taking over my body. dry.gif

Anyhoo, this is a rather odd thing to do considering that Russell Barnes said no one would see what SW6 was like until it opened. Maybe a nice govt style U-Turn has happend or maybe its just a nice tease to whats to come. Tease me Mr Burton tease me! *sniggers* I just hope its not more hype and that there is some real evidence of whats to come.

Im as excited as i was here on Monday lunchtime an that is a huge wave of excitement!

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 25 2009, 7:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 870

Pity it wasnt last weekend when I was up there!

Will be interesting to see however. Cant see a wooden roller coaster being installed in the park, it wooden happen because of the noise (you see what I did there ... tongue.gif )

As for 2 hotels, hmmm, personally I would re-do Splash hotel, clean it up, make it better as the place lacks any sort of atmosphere, and is looking very dirty inside. The cabins idea I guess would be on the field near to where they do field of thousand screams, though I dread to think what stupid prices they would charge for a cabin!

What the park really needs, hotel wise, is a more fun environment with entertainment programmes for both kids and adults, and then some sort of nightclub afterwards so people can stay up later if they want to. Park entrance moving is also an interesting one as the park road layout, car parks etc has been build around the current layout. I cant really see how they could move the entrance. And then if they moved the entrance, would that make the monorail redundant, and if so, why did they spend money refurbing the trains.... hmm, all very interesting, wish I could make it up this weekend.

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jun 25 2009, 9:50 AM
Post #12

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

I'm tempted to go straight after I finish work tomorrow at lunchtime for a quick look-see...

+Quote Post
jonnywaterhouse
post Jun 25 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,887

Brave move by Alton Towers. Very interesting indeed. I would love to go and have a nosy, I bet cameras etc will not be allowed!

I sincerely hope they don't move the entrance. Especially since sprucing up the mono. Woodie for Ug Land/ Coaster Corner. Exciting Times.

I would imagine that whilst details will of the plans will be listed, I very much doubt actual blue prints and plans for the coasters will be made available. Especially SW6. Further details may be given, but they will maintain some form of confidentiality or it makes their plans exposed to competitors.

This is similar to the plan for Thorpe, and of course, plans change. Stealth was originally planned to be a clone of Xcellerator at Knotts but we got a mini version of Kingda Ka.

Cannot wait to see the reports flood in tomorrow biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
AstroDan
post Jun 25 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,120

QUOTE (Jayne @ Jun 25 2009, 10:50 AM) *
I'm tempted to go straight after I finish work tomorrow at lunchtime for a quick look-see...

May see you there! I am going to pop up after work. However, Sanbrooke will be there as it opens to the public so no doubt he'll be blabbing the news first!

Can't wait to see what's in store.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jun 25 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,274

with a brand new camera and according to his facebook status, "Major SW6 updates every 2 days". Speaking of that, Dan K, love your latest upload to your Fb profile as in video wink.gif Great impression! laugh.gif

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Jun 26 2009, 3:04 PM
Post #16

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

Comprehensive details of the information presented in the exhibition can now be found in our Featured Article - Alton Towers Long Term Plan Exhibition. We'll be adding additional details to the article over the weekend smile.gif

+Quote Post
cactuselves
post Jun 26 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 143

Amazing how many of the aspects of this Dan predicted accurately earlier wink.gif
Out of interest, do the maps show 'blobs' representing future attractions or black outlined potential track alignments.

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Jun 26 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #18

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (cactuselves @ Jun 26 2009, 4:29 PM) *
Out of interest, do the maps show 'blobs' representing future attractions or black outlined potential track alignments.

The map just had coloured blobs for future attractions/rethemed areas rather than any detail. Certainly for the later stages of the plan it would be impossible to have detailed ride plans at this stage, manufacturers will be releasing new ride designs over the coming years and Alton Towers will want to utilise those where appropriate. If they design a ride for 2019 now they're limited to existing products and something much better might be around when the time arrives.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 26 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #19

Web Developer
Group Icon

First of all, a big thanks to Chris for gathering such a huge amount of information! smile.gif

It's a shame the plans are pretty vague, but I suppose in hindsight that was to be expected. The moving of the car parks and utilising the space as a link between the hotels and the park sounds particularly interesting.

If Spinball Whizzer was moved, I'd like to see it reprofiled and placed in the Black Hole tent.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Jun 26 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 113

Spinball Whizzer was built with the option of special effects being added at a later time. So should it move, similar effects as seen on Winjas could be added.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 12:04 AM