Reply to this topicStart new topic
Long Term Development Plan
JoshC.
post Jun 26 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,206

QUOTE (Dan @ Jun 26 2009, 5:28 PM) *
If Spinball Whizzer was moved, I'd like to see it reprofiled and placed in the Black Hole tent.

And if that did happen, surely a little bit of Deja Vu would occur there, what with Sanbrooke saying how a ride 'similar to Spinball Whizzer would be in the Black Hole tent'. (If you ignore the in 2010 part). wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jun 26 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 14,274

Being a long shot in ones dark but how about the space between Air and The hotels (aka Car Park G) would be a big enough space for a nice compact and high G Woodie... Just a thought wink.gif As for Spinball... Well, If it goes what i heard back last year, a move to another Merlin Park for the 2012/13 season... but what do I know wink.gif

Gonna agree with Dan, Well done Chris for finding out the info.

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
andy talocanham
post Jun 27 2009, 8:16 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,363

It has the potential of being quite a large space, as they were looking at moving most of the carpark to the fields (M and N overflow carpark). Therefore, that would be a huge space. The addition to a new hotel entrance to the park would again be excellent, hopefully Annual Pass entrance can go there too and then everyone with normal tickets can go to the main entrance and be held at the same point (towers street) till 10.

Spinball should never been put there, you walk into the park and there it is, in my opinion it ruins the entrance to the park seeing it. The move of Spinball would also mean the childrens section can move out slightly more to use the Spinball area. I cant remember where they said they would move it.

Another intresting thing for me was more indoor rides etc. The thing that for me Alton misses is some more indoor rides. I would love to see Spinball in the Blackhole tent, not really sure on theming outside but indoors it could be amazing. Dark ride spinball machine, lights could be on lift hill.I think that would be amazing in the dark.

To be honest, most of the info was on how the park is helping the environment, highlighting Chessington Hotel using SUDS and how Alton gained money back for saving water.

--------------------

Rita: The Ultimate Ride for people who cant go on Stealth

+Quote Post
DragonGuardian
post Jun 27 2009, 9:34 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,185

The rate at which coasters leave appears to be greater than coasters added.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 27 2009, 9:56 AM
Post #25

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

Chris was told yesterday that he couldn't take photos, but the park seem to have done a U-turn on the issue today and said it was fine. So he's just sent me this photo of the plan:

(click to enlarge)

We'll have a higher-quality version online later for you. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hex
post Jun 27 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,842

Thanks for the photo!

This is in todays Sentinel, with a nice quote from something Chris said smile.gif

If anyone is interested here's a link to the article!

Clicky!

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
AdrianB
post Jun 27 2009, 7:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 14,202

QUOTE (JoshC. @ Jun 26 2009, 7:25 PM) *
QUOTE (Dan @ Jun 26 2009, 5:28 PM) *
If Spinball Whizzer was moved, I'd like to see it re-profiled and placed in the Black Hole tent.

And if that did happen, surely a little bit of Deja Vu would occur there, what with Sanbrooke saying how a ride 'similar to Spinball Whizzer would be in the Black Hole tent'. (If you ignore the in 2010 part). wink.gif

Whoever told Shawn his info had probably got a few things mixed up? I still think there is some truth in it and more will come clear soon! I mean past Intamin stand up coasters had track like B&M, it's what caused the split in the first place. Spinball going in the Black Hole tent has been talked about for a long time and to quote James Paulding "Spinball Whizzer will fit in the Black Hole tent Almost perfectly with just a small part sticking out" which part I'm not sure.

I'm lovin the development plan especially the link between the hotels and FV! This has been talked about for a long time and I remember a member of TTF making his own plans of what could go in this area. I think we need some blue sky thinking when it comes to a new entrance it does make a lot of sense to have it down by the car parks and hotels. On busy days the monorail does not cope very well and a lot of people have to walk to the entrance and even worse walk back later after a full day on park. New development on the Towers St, Farm, Adventure Land also makes a lot of sense! After the morning rush it's pretty dead around these areas with everyone rushing to the big rides, to have a major attraction or two would balance out the park better, there is a lot of land wasted around Towers St which could be used in a much better way, also I'm sure this area is covered by the general planning guidelines?

I think many of the new rides will be replacements for aging Alton Towers stock such as Enterprise and The Flume (Please get rid of The Flume!) Coaster Corner will definatly get used and would make a nice new area. A woodie is definatly on the cards and it would be nice to have the planned valley woodie which I got the plans of on TowersTimes it would balance out Ug Land nicely. The other options for a woodie are behind CATCF, back in 2006 I saw JW using height balloons there, or a terrain woodie next to SW6.

This post has been edited by AdrianB: Jun 27 2009, 10:15 PM

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jun 27 2009, 9:06 PM
Post #28

Bless Mark Kerrigan today, I did feel kinda sorry for him. My partner james decided to question him on a few things concerning the 10 year plan now weather this got him confused or what I have no idea (maybe the shock that james knew a fair bit about the makers of the glass in the towers and the comment "If it wasnt for the towers, they wouldnt exist now so its down to them really isnt it? comment) but when i asked about CMAP (that report that was mentioned that was infered that had been done), Mark commented at first, "Whats CMAP?" then followed by "It will be ready soon as it is still being done and be avalible to view at SMDC when ready". Also, when asked what will be spent on the project to get it back to a decent state, all that was said was "it will be a substancial amount", no fixed or rough estimate was given over even though that the past amounts and some future amounts (£72m was one amount mentioned for a part of all this), it wasnt mentioned how much of that amount of money will be spent on the towers. The Conservatory in the towers complex (from towers to the exit of Hex) the roof is planned to be taken off and reverted back to how it was origionally intended, glass roof... with maybe a coffee cart selling coffee there once done. There was also mention of, eventually, to reinstate some of the rooms within the towers back to their "former glory".

Theres a few odd things on the map which i find a bit odd. The location of the proposed Car Park G Coaster does infact take up some area of Air on the final corner section.. well, i say a bit, try some of the breakrun down to the queueline and towards the last corner. There seems also to be a new building where the Towers Street Entrance is now if this new entrance is installed and given the go ahead.

To be honest, the exhibition was more about the heritage and accomodation side which were being promoted more of than actual attractions/rides. Also, look out for something connected within the Cheadle and Towers duo project around 2012....

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdrianB
post Jun 27 2009, 9:15 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 14,202

Ive always thought a hotel in the towers would be fantastic! Stay at the heart of the park in historical surroundings! They could charge premium prices and people would pay it! They could use rooms for corporate entertainment and weddings etc.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 27 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #30

Web Developer
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:06 PM) *
Theres a few odd things on the map which i find a bit odd. The location of the proposed Car Park G Coaster does infact take up some area of Air on the final corner section.. well, i say a bit, try some of the breakrun down to the queueline and towards the last corner.

The proposed coaster site actually engulfs all of Air's layout bar part of the lift hill and first drop, which I also found a bit strange.

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:06 PM) *
There seems also to be a new building where the Towers Street Entrance is now if this new entrance is installed and given the go ahead.

I think you're looking at the black outline? In which case that's just denoting that it's a GDO Area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hex Legend of th...
post Jun 27 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 5,903

Am I the only one opposed to the idea of the new entrance? I think we would lose all sense of anticipation and wonderment if you no longer had to walk down Towers Street towards that impressive scene of the lake and Towers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
funsize
post Jun 27 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 12,733

i've always loved walking down that way with the lovely view

+Quote Post
tiger2000
post Jun 28 2009, 8:19 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 280

I would also oppose moving the Park Entrance, the current one is iconic and a unique attraction that Alton Towers has to its advantage over other parks, by all means complety update and refurbishment it but leave i in its current locaton.

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Jun 28 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #34

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

The full set of boards from the exhibition are now available online in the ATA Gallery. Click any image in gallery view for a full-size easy-to-read version.

We've also added a cropped version of the map/plan so you can get a closer look at the details

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jun 28 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

Alton Park??

This post has been edited by WillPS: Jun 28 2009, 2:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jun 28 2009, 3:50 PM
Post #36

Gotta admit, i dont remember seeing the new entertainment areas in the current car park G and to the north of the hotels. I can only imagine that the new one in car park G will be some kinda extention to the park itself. The one north of the hotels is smaller which could indicate a private entertainment venue just for hotel guests/locals... The one for car Park G; It does seem to be a big area to incorp a new entertainment venue unless the corporate suite which is next to spinball is moving to there and in a purpose built building. Wonder if this could be an arena of some description? Also, is this new walkway from hotels to the end of Forbidden Valley some kinda skywalk area? Then theres the Monorail. Is this staying or going? Is it finally going to become inside the park?

And the proposed new coaster area which covers Air... Total shock! Or could it be there is an idea to extend Air?

So may more questions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 29 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 870

Just read through it all now and looked at the pictures. What does the "activated link" mean? That yellow arrow on the map (not the new entrance).

As for the new entrance... noooooooooo, I love walking into Towers Street with the towers infront of me, and I love at the end of the day walking back out looking at the towers as I leave. Plus it would certainly mean the end of the monorail.

Out of interest, why the long thin narrow area of land to the bottom right of the map within the park boundaries, what is down here?

If I was in charge of the next few years development I would:

1. Do something with the black hole tent, the idea of spinball inside it is a good idea.
2. Remove old or rides with minimal queues, such as Submission, The Blade, Enterprise and replace with newer more enjoyable attractions
3. Look to open the park later into the nights during the summer and have bands/entertainment etc
4. Rather than move the entrance, refurbish it, new monorail trains, new ticket booths, self service ticket booths etc.
5. As for the hotels, Splash needs serious work doing to it, its a horrible hotel, its shabby, lacks any atmosphere and the waterpark is too small, develop the hotel more, increase the size of the waterpark with new attractions
6. Provide more night time entertainment in the hotels, Splash doesnt have any unless you are a kid, while the auditorium in AT hotel is too small to sit down comfortably and watch a group sing.
7. Spend money on the towers!! Restore them back to their prime glory, after all, without them, its not Alton Towers
8. To attract more family members, introduce a ticket for spectators, obviously however some mechanism needs to be in place to ensure this isnt abused, so maybe barcode readers on the entrances to the ride, as found in BPB? This way older family members could come spend the day in the gardens, the towers, while paying less and not going on the rides.
9. Refurbish totally, or change the log flume, its old, its rough, it needs doing up!! Water coaster perhaps?
10. Get rid of the BK franchise!!!!
11. Scrap the parking fee tongue.gif
12. Have a park and ride system in place, where people could park their car a few miles away, and for a small charge could hop on the provided buses and travel to the park this way, thus reducing the traffic going through the village...
13. Make the hotels more affordable

what would you do?

+Quote Post
hex
post Jun 29 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,842

I think all of the things you've put there would be brilliant ideas, I would really like to see BK go, possibly being replaced by McDonalds or some more park run eateries smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jun 29 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #39

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

I categorically wouldn't want them to touch the interiors of the towers without investing upwards of 100million on it. Putting a halfarsed attempt to recreate the epic grandeur of what was once there would defecate on every architect, joiner, glazier and draftsman who ever designed the original.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Jun 30 2009, 8:01 AM
Post #40

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (garyholc @ Jun 29 2009, 5:23 PM) *
12. Have a park and ride system in place, where people could park their car a few miles away, and for a small charge could hop on the provided buses and travel to the park this way, thus reducing the traffic going through the village...

I did ask about whether Park & Ride had been considered as part of the transport strategy and was told it was one of the many options on the list but a big problem with it (aside from finding enough land in a suitable location, etc.) was that it's coaches and buses that cause a big problem in terms of traffic as they need the full width of the road to navigate the tight corners and this causes snarl ups - so sending more of these through the villages isn't desirable.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2017 - 8:52 AM