Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Are there any plans for the Churnet Valley Railway to go to Alton?, Or is it just rumor?
bluenosesrule
post Sep 3 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,461

I have done volunteer work on the Churnet Valley Railway and I have been told that the railway will reach Alton one day. Some people are adament it will and some people are adament it won't. Does anyone know any news regarding plans to take the Churnet Valley Railway to Alton. I know a few years there was a gas pipe built under the trackbed but if it wasn't possible to get to Alton all talk and plans would have died down. Whether the track will reach Alton one day I don't know, I hope it does but any news or links would be good.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Sep 3 2009, 9:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,274

I know they were missing one section of the link at Leekbrook Junction but now they have aquired it. Time will tell i suppose.

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Sep 3 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

There's a bit posted about it over in the bypass thread (this post onwards)

+Quote Post
hex
post Sep 4 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,842

I read somewhere that they had bought the land for the Cauldon bit, and were hoping to start work on it, plus alot of the track from Leekbrook to Stoke is still down just overgrown, so that bit may be easier to do smile.gif

My Dad knows a lot of people who volunteer there as he works with them and LNWR in Crewe. Would be nice to see the train line going to Alton though smile.gif Plus if it went to Stoke I could go on a Steam Train to Alton! smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Jun 24 2007, 6:24 PM) *
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
meames
post Sep 4 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11

After the steam train they could do horse and carriage rides upto the entrance then tongue.gif

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
hex
post Sep 4 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #6

Yeah that'd be great tongue.gif

--------------------
I am willing to turn a blind eye to poor safety regimes as long as they get the theming right. In Six Flags, we get neither.

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Oct 14 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Editor
Group Icon

Rumour on the street/dog-walkers gossip is that the stretch of track from Meerbrook to Stoke has now been sold but unsure who to. I'll keep my ear to the ground for any more news.

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Oct 14 2009, 1:12 PM
Post #8

To the best of my knowledge, it has been "acquired" to CVR.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Oct 15 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #9

Editor
Group Icon

In fact, two directors of Churney Valley Railway have set up their own company - Moorland and City Railways - to buy the track. The full story was in last night's Leek Post and Times and was posted online this morning as follows:

New rail link 'best thing in years for Moorlands'
Thursday, October 15, 2009, 10:00

THE return of the railways to Staffordshire Moorlands has been described as the best thing to happen to the area in decades.

Moorlands and City Railways Ltd (MCR) has bought about 20 miles of disused railway line between Stoke and Cauldon Low quarries, which it plans to reopen.

That could see the return of freight services in the next two years, followed sometime later by passenger travel.

Ultimately, MCR wants to extend the line, via the existing Churnet Valley Railway Line, to Alton Towers, with the intention of transporting hundreds of thousands of visitors to the theme park every year – and significantly reducing the weight of traffic passing through rural villages like Alton.

There are also plans to build a station and car park at Leek, to reconnect passenger services with the national railway network.

MCR commercial director David Kemp said: "There's three angles. The first is renovating the line from Stoke to Cauldon Low. The track is all still down, but it is overgrown and it will need a fair bit of work.

"The idea is to get that cleared and running up to standard, then start running freight trains through. There's potential for bringing quarry products and cement, which will take heavy goods traffic off the roads.

"Then we want to take the line up a short distance from Leekbrook Junction to reconnect Leek with the national network and to the Potteries. This will involve laying about one mile of track.

"We also want to link the railway line with Alton Towers.

"There's a lot of regeneration possibilities up and down the line, starting from Stoke onwards.

"There will be development off the back of this and there's a fair bit of construction involved."

Mr Kemp estimates that the project could be completed in about four years.

MCR has not revealed how much the project will cost, but it has the backing of major investors.

MCR is a new company created purely to pursue the commercial project to reopen the railway line.

Mr Kemp and fellow MCR director Greg Wilson are also both directors of the Churnet Valley Railway.

Mr Wilson said the new line would open up Churnet Valley Railway as a major national heritage attraction.

He said: "It will provide a morale boost and a financial boost to the Churnet Valley Railway.

"It will open us up to the national rail network and it will put us on the map as being at the forefront of heritage railways. We are going to have a railway line with access north, south, east and west."

The two major businesses likely to benefit from the reopening of the railway line, Alton Towers and Lafarge Cement UK, have both given it their backing.

Mark Kerrigan, head of development and corporate affairs at Alton Towers, said: "Alton Towers remains committed to the effective management of traffic coming to our site and we have underlined various ways forward in our long-term plan.

"It is therefore with great interest that we hear about a possible rail link and we look forward to following the project as it progresses."

Allan Ruxton, Lafarge Cement UK's Cauldon Works manager, said: "Lafarge welcomes the announcement that MCR has acquired the disused railway line through to Cauldon Low.

"Over recent months we have been in touch with the company to discuss this development and long-term future options including the possibility of opening a line into our works.

"We are always looking at ways of increasing the sustainability of our operations and transport is a key area.

"The cost of establishing the last section of the line direct into Cauldon Works is too great to consider in the short to medium term.

"However, we remain very interested in working with the Government and now MCR to explore funding options for potential further development."

Although the track was still being used occasionally until the late 1980s, passenger services were withdrawn between Leek and Stoke in 1956. Commuters have not been transported along the line from Froghall since 1965, but good services continued until 1970.

Councillor Sybil Ralphs, leader of Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, said the authority recognised Churnet Valley as a vital tourism corridor.

She said: "It is the biggest thing to happen to the Moorlands in quite a while. In the past, towns were built on the railways. We hope to reinstate what should never have been taken away.

"The return of rail to the heart of the Moorlands for the first time in nearly 50 years is great news for the environment as it will promote sustainable transport, taking both freight and passengers off the road.

"The initiative will also help deliver our priority of a strong economy. MCR is looking to create jobs for local people while opening up the Churnet Valley Railway will transform it into one of Europe's largest heritage railways, in terms of both track mileage and visitor numbers.

"The linking of Leekbrook to the national rail network, via Stoke, will enable some of the world's most famous steam engines to visit Staffordshire for the first time. This is fantastic news for tourism and the local economy.

"I'm delighted that Network Rail Lafarge Cement and Alton Towers are supporting these plans, and I'm sure that Staffordshire County Council will follow suit."

Not just great news for Alton villagers and the companies involved, but great for Leek too as it should get a much needed boost to its economy. I just hope they get the funding and council backing that this project needs and deserves.

This post has been edited by Jayne: Oct 15 2009, 10:18 AM

+Quote Post
hex
post Oct 15 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #10

Awesome!

Completed in 4 years aswell, should be fantastic.

From what i've been told before it costs roughly 1 million to lay a mile of track, so thankfully they don't have to lay such a great amount as a lot still remains, just needs the bushes and grass trimming and we can see trains using the lines again! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Oct 15 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 870

Excellent news! I hope AT put some financial backing into this given the money they have made from the rip off parking charge. Thing is, if this railway opens, AT will lose a hell of a lot of money from the lower number of cars parking there. They will have to find new excting charges to levy on people....

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Oct 15 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #12

Editor
Group Icon

QUOTE (hex @ Oct 15 2009, 12:50 PM) *
Awesome!

Completed in 4 years aswell, should be fantastic.

From what i've been told before it costs roughly 1 million to lay a mile of track, so thankfully they don't have to lay such a great amount as a lot still remains, just needs the bushes and grass trimming and we can see trains using the lines again! smile.gif

And persuade people to walk their dogs elsewhere! Lots of people use the track for dog walking, mountain biking, under age drinking etc.

The bushes and grass just cover up the loose ground around it... I think there will be some serious work to make parts safe as this track hasn't been used for at least 13 years (if not longer, can just remember when the steam train came to Endon and I went down to see it with my dad).

Also, services will have to be restricted on parts of the track due there only being one set of track in one direction.

+Quote Post
hex
post Oct 15 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Jayne @ Oct 15 2009, 1:31 PM) *
Also, services will have to be restricted on parts of the track due there only being one set of track in one direction.

That won't be a problem as I imagine there will be passing points on the tracks at certain distances to facilitare two trains, this is what usually happens on single track railways smile.gif

Wonder how much the price will go up tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Oct 15 2009, 4:19 PM
Post #14

*tries to contain some gloating glee*

It is about time that this section of the trackbed was reopened. It is unlikley though that the origional station will be used in Alton as thats now part of a heritage trust which hires the old railway station out to holiday makers. Its more than likley that it will be east of the origional station or before the origional station unless the heritage company which now owns the property come to a pre arranged agreement. However, a pathway which could be used from the old gatehouse oposite the old station building which was part of the gatehouse of the old driveway into Alton Lodge will probably and hopefully be used once again and be exclusivley for the railway passangers.

Plus, this was an idea i suggested on TTF over 4 years ago wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Oct 23 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Oct 15 2009, 5:19 PM) *
Plus, this was an idea i suggested on TTF over 4 years ago wink.gif

I remember reading about the suggested reopening of this railway line long before TTF even existed - it's not a new idea. Further, it is not the only one of Dr. Beeching's cuts which has been touted as a mistake and/or reopened, the Robin Hood Line is just one example. The ATOC want to see a whole lot more reopened.

--------------------

+Quote Post
riverlass
post Mar 18 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 22,200

QUOTE (Jayne @ Oct 15 2009, 10:02 AM) *
In fact, two directors of Churney Valley Railway have set up their own company - Moorland and City Railways - to buy the track. The full story was in last night's Leek Post and Times and was posted online this morning as follows:

New rail link 'best thing in years for Moorlands'
Thursday, October 15, 2009, 10:00

THE return of the railways to Staffordshire Moorlands has been described as the best thing to happen to the area in decades.

Moorlands and City Railways Ltd (MCR) has bought about 20 miles of disused railway line between Stoke and Cauldon Low quarries, which it plans to reopen.

That could see the return of freight services in the next two years, followed sometime later by passenger travel.

Ultimately, MCR wants to extend the line, via the existing Churnet Valley Railway Line, to Alton Towers, with the intention of transporting hundreds of thousands of visitors to the theme park every year and significantly reducing the weight of traffic passing through rural villages like Alton.

There are also plans to build a station and car park at Leek, to reconnect passenger services with the national railway network.

MCR commercial director David Kemp said: "There's three angles. The first is renovating the line from Stoke to Cauldon Low. The track is all still down, but it is overgrown and it will need a fair bit of work.

"The idea is to get that cleared and running up to standard, then start running freight trains through. There's potential for bringing quarry products and cement, which will take heavy goods traffic off the roads.

"Then we want to take the line up a short distance from Leekbrook Junction to reconnect Leek with the national network and to the Potteries. This will involve laying about one mile of track.

"We also want to link the railway line with Alton Towers.

"There's a lot of regeneration possibilities up and down the line, starting from Stoke onwards.

"There will be development off the back of this and there's a fair bit of construction involved."

Mr Kemp estimates that the project could be completed in about four years.

MCR has not revealed how much the project will cost, but it has the backing of major investors.

MCR is a new company created purely to pursue the commercial project to reopen the railway line.

Mr Kemp and fellow MCR director Greg Wilson are also both directors of the Churnet Valley Railway.

Mr Wilson said the new line would open up Churnet Valley Railway as a major national heritage attraction.

He said: "It will provide a morale boost and a financial boost to the Churnet Valley Railway.

"It will open us up to the national rail network and it will put us on the map as being at the forefront of heritage railways. We are going to have a railway line with access north, south, east and west."

The two major businesses likely to benefit from the reopening of the railway line, Alton Towers and Lafarge Cement UK, have both given it their backing.

Mark Kerrigan, head of development and corporate affairs at Alton Towers, said: "Alton Towers remains committed to the effective management of traffic coming to our site and we have underlined various ways forward in our long-term plan.

"It is therefore with great interest that we hear about a possible rail link and we look forward to following the project as it progresses."

Allan Ruxton, Lafarge Cement UK's Cauldon Works manager, said: "Lafarge welcomes the announcement that MCR has acquired the disused railway line through to Cauldon Low.

"Over recent months we have been in touch with the company to discuss this development and long-term future options including the possibility of opening a line into our works.

"We are always looking at ways of increasing the sustainability of our operations and transport is a key area.

"The cost of establishing the last section of the line direct into Cauldon Works is too great to consider in the short to medium term.

"However, we remain very interested in working with the Government and now MCR to explore funding options for potential further development."

Although the track was still being used occasionally until the late 1980s, passenger services were withdrawn between Leek and Stoke in 1956. Commuters have not been transported along the line from Froghall since 1965, but good services continued until 1970.

Councillor Sybil Ralphs, leader of Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, said the authority recognised Churnet Valley as a vital tourism corridor.

She said: "It is the biggest thing to happen to the Moorlands in quite a while. In the past, towns were built on the railways. We hope to reinstate what should never have been taken away.

"The return of rail to the heart of the Moorlands for the first time in nearly 50 years is great news for the environment as it will promote sustainable transport, taking both freight and passengers off the road.

"The initiative will also help deliver our priority of a strong economy. MCR is looking to create jobs for local people while opening up the Churnet Valley Railway will transform it into one of Europe's largest heritage railways, in terms of both track mileage and visitor numbers.

"The linking of Leekbrook to the national rail network, via Stoke, will enable some of the world's most famous steam engines to visit Staffordshire for the first time. This is fantastic news for tourism and the local economy.

"I'm delighted that Network Rail Lafarge Cement and Alton Towers are supporting these plans, and I'm sure that Staffordshire County Council will follow suit."

Not just great news for Alton villagers and the companies involved, but great for Leek too as it should get a much needed boost to its economy. I just hope they get the funding and council backing that this project needs and deserves.

I hope it never comes, we would be losing a much loved footpath and bridleway.
We don't want the noise, dirt and polution that a train would bring to our village.
It would not take traffic off the roads only bring more people here which we don't want.
We have had enough of traffic, litter, crashes, noise, and now fireworks again when we thought we had seen the last of those.
To add trains to all this would be unbearable for the local people.
No its not a good idea and there would be a lot of protesting against it.

+Quote Post
hex
post Mar 29 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #17

What would the disadvantages of having a rail connection?
Fair enough there would be a small amount of noise, but this would be minimal and not constant.

--------------------

+Quote Post
riverlass
post Mar 29 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (hex @ Mar 29 2011, 1:04 PM) *
What would the disadvantages of having a rail connection?
Fair enough there would be a small amount of noise, but this would be minimal and not constant.

Hex

The disadvantage's would be-
noise a lot of it, have you ever been to a railway?
Dirt
unwelcome visitors to our lovely area which is our home not a holiday camp.
More litter which will be chucked out of the train
disruption for residents because of the level crossing
Disturbance of wildlife
Pollution
Smell Diesel and smoke.
Losing our best flat and very well used footpath, this is a footpath not a disused railway. there are no tracks on it.
It would kill off some of the local businesses because we would not be able to get to them.
We would see less of the welcome visitors who come here to walk and appreciate and enjoy the beauty of the area, therefore losing that revenue.

This is an area of outstanding beauty not a holiday camp it about time the residents were considered in all this.

I can't see any advantage not one, and it would add hours to anyone's journey.

+Quote Post
da_v
post Mar 29 2011, 2:56 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,419

if it takes some relief of the over clogged roads in alton then a train would be better for the area reusing what was once a railway must be better than building something brand new

--------------------
When he shoots himself in the foot, he uses a cannon so big it takes his whole leg off.

+Quote Post
riverlass
post Mar 29 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (da_v @ Mar 29 2011, 3:56 PM) *
if it takes some relief of the over clogged roads in alton then a train would be better for the area reusing what was once a railway must be better than building something brand new

No it won't solve anything I don't think people would use it, like I said before it would add hours to the journey. It the road in Alton that's the problem. Anyway why such we suffer for Alton Towers it does nothing for us, its just a pain in the neck. Most residents are sick of it and would like to see it shut down.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2017 - 8:48 AM