Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wooden Coaster
gta69jim
post Mar 22 2010, 7:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,771

A wooden coaster is needed at Alton Towers to complete it's line up of coasters, a good area to build one is around the Logflume within all those trees so when the clocks go forward it will make a great ride in darkness.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Minus
post Apr 19 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,042

What is it like to ride a wooden coaster? Never actually been on one ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Apr 20 2010, 2:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 870

Your missing out! if you can come over to Oakwood and go on Megafobia, or head up to Blackpool where some of the UK's finest wooden coasters can be found. The ricketyness, roughness, noise and insane airtime you get on a wooden coaster just cannot be beaten. Everytime on Megafobia in the back I am out of my seat, and front seats on Big Dipper in BPB I was literally standing nearly all the way around due to the airtime on the hills.

I guess its like going as fast as you can along a road ridden with pot holes and lots of hump back bridges, without a seat belt on!!

Quite agree AT need one, but with the height and noise restrictions, unfortunately it isnt going to happen.

This post has been edited by garyholc: Apr 20 2010, 2:54 PM

+Quote Post
Minus
post Apr 20 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #4

Cool, sounds like a blast. smile.gif
Wonder if theyve tried building a metal coaster in the style of wooden, I think the issue with these things is the safety.

+Quote Post
Coaster_Dude
post Apr 21 2010, 2:14 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 946

They're no more dangerous than a steel ride, it's the noise that would be the problem at AT, and getting planning permission in general!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jayne
post May 2 2010, 1:52 PM
Post #6

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

And... in general, there's always a debate - would the standard ticket-buying public visiting Alton Towers necessarily enjoy/"get" a wooden coaster?

Like minus said "I think the issue with these things is the safety." - this is a common view of those who've not come across wooden coasters before/just heard about the Big Dipper accident. If manufacturers try to go a bit mental and attempt a looping wooden coaster (ref: Son Of Beast at Kings Island, Ohio), or older ones aren't maintained well, then that's probably when they do get on the unsafe side. But there are some good modern wooden coasters on the continent (Balder, Falken, Colossos... all three I'm trying in July happy.gif ) that are safe and well respected. I wonder how popular they are compared to their steel counterparts in the same parks...

+Quote Post
Minus
post May 4 2010, 1:17 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Jayne @ May 2 2010, 1:52 PM) *
And... in general, there's always a debate - would the standard ticket-buying public visiting Alton Towers necessarily enjoy/"get" a wooden coaster?

I would hope so. They look impressive enough and the variation would be nice, the only thing would be safety concerns.

Anyway thinking about wood; doesnt it need special attention like with the weather and aging? (Gonna cost more money and require thought) What about some kind of hybrid design that uses a minimal amount of actual wood, or would it kill it not to have the swaying of the entire structure ?lol

+Quote Post
Fruit Corner
post May 4 2010, 5:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 14,633

A majority of major parks have Wooden coasters. Let's stop hiding behind the excuses and say very clearly that Alton Towers really needs one, and the only reason why they don't is cost and planning issues.

They were very close to getting one previously, there were just a few hurdles that got in the way.

AT desperately need a woodie to complete their portfolio, but they just can't manage it at the moment. sad.gif

+Quote Post
macman
post Aug 8 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,925

The plans for a wooden rollercoaster at AT were from the towers ruins to around the log flume area. I agree AT needs one - and it would need to be colossal! Totally dominate the park - similar to this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HolidayWorldTheVoyage.jpg

Now imagine that at AT!? One question though.... is a woody genuinely (in today's age) REALLY made of wood - or steel? Have visions genuine wooden coasters would be a massive fire hazzard and naturally banned?? Or am I totally thick?!

+Quote Post
meames
post Aug 9 2010, 8:35 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 11

Wood coasters are indeed made of wood. Bits of steel need to be used for the rails, and bolts obviously, but other than that, 100% wood.

There are hybrid woodies in the world where some of the struture is steel, but they don't give the same experience.

As for a fire hazard - it is much higher with wood, and add to that the huge amount of oil and grease on the tracks/station, as can be seen with the amount of fires at Blackpool tongue.gif We met the MD of Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach last year and he was talking of the many times there were getting very fearful for their coaster if the dunes were set alight in the summer.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
Fruit Corner
post Aug 9 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,633

Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach has a Managing Director?!
I would have thought it was job share with the Snails operator... wink.gif

+Quote Post
meames
post Aug 9 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11

Eye - Jimmy Jones - he is a right nice bloke smile.gif

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died