Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
7th and 8th of June - Our first trip to Alton Towers!
kimbyanne
post May 15 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,854

As a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday, I have booked us one night at the Alton Towers Hotel and two days in the park. Neither of us have ever been before, mainly due to the 4 hour car journey, but it is something we have talked about doing for ages.

I have a couple of questions and queries I hope you can answer;

1. Can you wear bum bags on rides at AT? Granted, they are not the most attractive bags but I don't want to be carrying round a bag all day. I went to Thorpe Park last year, went on a ride, left my bag in the bag station bit (or whatever it is called), came off the ride and it was gone. So, I am not particularly keen on leaving my bag anywhere. So, it either needs to be a bum bag or I need to purchase some clothing with lots of zipper pockets!

2. As I am staying in the hotel and have purchased my tickets in advance, I am entitled to ERT. However, I am unsure whether this applies for both days or just one? Also, is there a list anywhere of what rides are included in the ERT? Same goes for free parking, am I allowed to park my car at the hotel for free on both days?

3. Does the waterpark open any later for hotel guests? I was hoping we would be able to visit the waterpark but on the days we are there, it closes at 5pm. So we would have to choose between a full day at the park or half a day in the park and half a day in the waterpark and I really don't know what to go for!

4. Does Sonic wander around the park? My boyfriend is a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan and I am sure he would love a picture with him.

5. Are there days when AT just does not sell Fastrack tickets? I have been looking at buying some for both days but the Tuesday has no Fastrack tickets available at all, not even the most expensive ones. I have checked and there are no events so I can't really work out why they would all be sold out on just that one day! I also believe the AT hotel is fully booked on the Tuesday so I am a bit concerned that something is going on and that it will be heaving!

6. Any tips for first timers at Alton Towers?

I do apologise for the amount of questions but I hope someone can help me answer them!

Kim

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WillPS
post May 16 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

QUOTE (kimbyanne @ May 15 2010, 10:23 PM) *
As a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday, I have booked us one night at the Alton Towers Hotel and two days in the park. Neither of us have ever been before, mainly due to the 4 hour car journey, but it is something we have talked about doing for ages.

1. Can you wear bum bags on rides at AT? Granted, they are not the most attractive bags but I don't want to be carrying round a bag all day. I went to Thorpe Park last year, went on a ride, left my bag in the bag station bit (or whatever it is called), came off the ride and it was gone. So, I am not particularly keen on leaving my bag anywhere. So, it either needs to be a bum bag or I need to purchase some clothing with lots of zipper pockets!

2. As I am staying in the hotel and have purchased my tickets in advance, I am entitled to ERT. However, I am unsure whether this applies for both days or just one? Also, is there a list anywhere of what rides are included in the ERT? Same goes for free parking, am I allowed to park my car at the hotel for free on both days?

3. Does the waterpark open any later for hotel guests? I was hoping we would be able to visit the waterpark but on the days we are there, it closes at 5pm. So we would have to choose between a full day at the park or half a day in the park and half a day in the waterpark and I really don't know what to go for!

4. Does Sonic wander around the park? My boyfriend is a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan and I am sure he would love a picture with him.

5. Are there days when AT just does not sell Fastrack tickets? I have been looking at buying some for both days but the Tuesday has no Fastrack tickets available at all, not even the most expensive ones. I have checked and there are no events so I can't really work out why they would all be sold out on just that one day! I also believe the AT hotel is fully booked on the Tuesday so I am a bit concerned that something is going on and that it will be heaving!

I do apologise for the amount of questions but I hope someone can help me answer them!

Kim

What a wonderful present for your boyfriend smile.gif I'm sure he'll be over the moon!

Yes, the marketing GENIUSES haven't yet thought of banning bum bags. So long as you can get your restraint over it with no chance of the items coming loose, there is no problem with wearing them on ride either. Make sure you're comfy though - being wedged in at an awkward angle will ruin the ride.

You are entitled to both ERT and Free Parking (in the Hotel's car park, not the main one - clearly signposted on your way in and closer to the Monorail so win/win) on both days.

No, the Waterpark doesn't stay open which is RUBBISH! They should open and close later in my opinion but there you go. My advice would be finish your first day on park a little early, maybe leave 90 mins. of Waterpark time, then you've still got your room. Most people don't struggle to do the park in a day, especially with Fastrack.

Not sure on a Sonic character walking round; there is definitely a human-sized Sonic statue near Spinball though!

The Park is likely to be rammed with school trips, but I can't see a reason why Fastrack would be unavailable. The Hotel fills up through the season these days. They do say 'limited availability' but that's mostly bullshit I reckon. I think Rita and Th13teen might be exceptions to this as they actually give you a time slot, so obviously when they've run out of time slots those two rides are properly sold out. Give Telesales a ring if you're worried, but I wouldn't be tempted by the Ultimate Fastracks, the additional rides wont carry especially large queues.

Other advice: don't worry! Don't stress about doing the rides in any order as this will stress you out more than it'll help you get things done. Just use 'on-the-fly logic' to help you work out where to go next. Like I say, you have plenty of time. Perhaps the one thing you could do to help you along would be get to Th13teen's queue before the non-ERT crowds arrive, but don't worry if you don't.

Just a have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kimbyanne
post May 16 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (WillPS @ May 16 2010, 1:04 AM) *
QUOTE (kimbyanne @ May 15 2010, 10:23 PM) *

Kim

What a wonderful present for your boyfriend smile.gif I'm sure he'll be over the moon!

Yes, the marketing GENIUSES haven't yet thought of banning bum bags. So long as you can get your restraint over it with no chance of the items coming loose, there is no problem with wearing them on ride either. Make sure you're comfy though - being wedged in at an awkward angle will ruin the ride.

You are entitled to both ERT and Free Parking (in the Hotel's car park, not the main one - clearly signposted on your way in and closer to the Monorail so win/win) on both days.

No, the Waterpark doesn't stay open which is RUBBISH! They should open and close later in my opinion but there you go. My advice would be finish your first day on park a little early, maybe leave 90 mins. of Waterpark time, then you've still got your room. Most people don't struggle to do the park in a day, especially with Fastrack.

Not sure on a Sonic character walking round; there is definitely a human-sized Sonic statue near Spinball though!

The Park is likely to be rammed with school trips, but I can't see a reason why Fastrack would be unavailable. The Hotel fills up through the season these days. They do say 'limited availability' but that's mostly bullshit I reckon. I think Rita and Th13teen might be exceptions to this as they actually give you a time slot, so obviously when they've run out of time slots those two rides are properly sold out. Give Telesales a ring if you're worried, but I wouldn't be tempted by the Ultimate Fastracks, the additional rides wont carry especially large queues.

Other advice: don't worry! Don't stress about doing the rides in any order as this will stress you out more than it'll help you get things done. Just use 'on-the-fly logic' to help you work out where to go next. Like I say, you have plenty of time. Perhaps the one thing you could do to help you along would be get to Th13teen's queue before the non-ERT crowds arrive, but don't worry if you don't.

Just a have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will smile.gif

Thanks for the reply!

Would you say the Waterpark is worth visiting? I have seen mixed reviews, some people think it is great, others think it is overpriced at 14 each and not worth the money as there isn't much to do!

I am hoping I have chosen a good time to go, the Monday 7th is the first day back at school after the school holidays so I am hoping it will be quiet. I might call AT and ask why the Tuesday has already sold out of all FT tickets, just seems a bit odd.

Regarding FT tickets, do you think it is worth getting the 9 for one ride on Nemesis, Air and Oblivion?

Thanks

This post has been edited by kimbyanne: May 16 2010, 12:19 PM

+Quote Post
garyholc
post May 16 2010, 6:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 870

QUOTE (kimbyanne @ May 16 2010, 1:18 PM) *
Would you say the Waterpark is worth visiting? I have seen mixed reviews, some people think it is great, others think it is overpriced at 14 each and not worth the money as there isn't much to do!

I am hoping I have chosen a good time to go, the Monday 7th is the first day back at school after the school holidays so I am hoping it will be quiet. I might call AT and ask why the Tuesday has already sold out of all FT tickets, just seems a bit odd.

Regarding FT tickets, do you think it is worth getting the 9 for one ride on Nemesis, Air and Oblivion?

Thanks

It is worth visiting the waterpark but expect to be fed up after 2 hours. Also it depends on the weather, if its a nice warm sunny day then its lovely to sit outside. Food and drink in the waterpark is expensive so bring your own and hide it in the locker! You can get big queues for the water slides in there too on busy days. Generally though its nice for a chill and a relax. However, you may also want to consider the spa which is a similar price, is a lot quieter and has a nice sauna and steam room too.

If it is very busy then FT tickets for the big 3 are essential. However you say you have ERT tickets as you are staying in the hotel so I would say dont bother buying them. Just do the big rides first thing in the morning, then get over to Rita/13 just before 10am to get on the ride before the big queues start. Then spend the rest of the day on the other rides.

And yeah you can get ERT both days.

Oh and eat in the pizza pasta place by Runaway Mine Train, its about 8 per adult but thats all you can eat and drink, and the food is good and the setting is comfortable.

+Quote Post
kimbyanne
post May 16 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (garyholc @ May 16 2010, 7:00 PM) *
QUOTE (kimbyanne @ May 16 2010, 1:18 PM) *

Thanks

It is worth visiting the waterpark but expect to be fed up after 2 hours. Also it depends on the weather, if its a nice warm sunny day then its lovely to sit outside. Food and drink in the waterpark is expensive so bring your own and hide it in the locker! You can get big queues for the water slides in there too on busy days. Generally though its nice for a chill and a relax. However, you may also want to consider the spa which is a similar price, is a lot quieter and has a nice sauna and steam room too.

If it is very busy then FT tickets for the big 3 are essential. However you say you have ERT tickets as you are staying in the hotel so I would say dont bother buying them. Just do the big rides first thing in the morning, then get over to Rita/13 just before 10am to get on the ride before the big queues start. Then spend the rest of the day on the other rides.

And yeah you can get ERT both days.

Oh and eat in the pizza pasta place by Runaway Mine Train, its about 8 per adult but thats all you can eat and drink, and the food is good and the setting is comfortable.

I am hoping it won't be very busy as we are going the during term time. The 7th is actually the first day back at school after May half term. I figured that there shouldn't be many school trips on the first day back!

I think I will wait and see on the day how we feel about the waterpark as we can always buy on the day.

I might buy the 9 Scream FT for the Monday at least then we know we can get on those three rides at least twice!

+Quote Post
kimbyanne
post May 26 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #6

I spoke to someone at Alton Towers today and asked why all Fastrack Tickets for the Tuesday had sold out. The girl looked on her system and said that they have loads of Fastrack Tickets available for the Tuesday and that they have been having major problems with the website recently. It doesn't seem to be updating so is showing tickets as sold out for days when tickets are available and is showing the hotels as fully booked when they aren't.

Also, when I asked about the Scream Fastrack Ticket the girl I spoke to said it was 7, yet online it is 9?!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 7:15 AM