Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
BANK HOLIDAY FRIDAY 29TH APRIL 2011, Busy or not?? (because of Royal Wedding)
ClaireAT
post Nov 28 2010, 6:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,051

Hi.
I am new on here so I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right place....apologies if not!

I am planning a trip to Alton Towers some time next year, with my son and his friend. They are both in their last year at school so we don't really want to take them out of school for this trip, but we also don't want to go when it's really busy. I was thinking that maybe the recently declared Bank Holiday for the royal wedding (Friday 29th April 2011) might be a good time to go, because everyone will stay at home to watch that. But then I thought, maybe not, because on the whole it tends to be younger people who visit Alton Towers, and younger people on the whole probably wouldn't be bothered about watching a royal wedding on TV!

I have just read something on this forum which said that historically, bank holidays are not very busy, which surprised me because I had always assumed that they would be extremely busy. Or is it self-limiting?.....maybe people don't go because they assume that it will be busy, so therefore it is not busy? And the bank holiday that I have in mind is a bit different from "normal" bank holidays anyway. (It also falls just after Easter, if that makes any difference).

Does anyone have any thoughts re this? Would Friday 29th April be a good time to go? Or am I completely mad to even think of going anywhere near Alton Towers on what will effectively be a school holiday?!

Any advice/opinions welcome!

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marlowe
post Dec 2 2010, 1:07 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 417

Hello there,

If you've had a look around here, you'll notice things aren't what they used to be, but in the spirit of the forum when I first joined, I'll endeavour to be helpful.

I was a ride operator on the park for several years. Parks have projected gate figures for each day of the year, based on past averages, current marketing, the economic climate and unusual events. Early season Bank Holidays in my time, were pretty quiet. Its cooler than the summer holidays, still dark in the evenings and compared to a week's holiday, a single day doesn't carry the same appeal for travelling punters who're at work in the morning. Quieter generally means a bit less atmosphere, though enthusiasts tend to cherry pick such days and may compensate a bit by their enthusiasm. The main holidays for filling the park are August Bank Holiday and the end of season weekends.

The park is much larger now and offers far greater variety than in my day, so its worth keeping an eye on upcoming attractions on the main park website. They may market special promotions and offers to tempt folk like you who don't care for national events. I suspect that even if this puts a few more bums on seats, a royal wedding will keep the majority of the population interested. If crap like the X-Factor, BGT, I'm A Celeb holds so much attention, the TV stations will get right behind selling the wedding's importance. While extra effort will generally succeed in attracting interest, it requires either a spectacular offer for a day or a sustained week of offers, as per the Sun ticket deals to raise numbers to the point of feeling crowded. Buying fast track tickets to beat queues isn't something I can advise on - its after my time - but there are some comments in another thread I'll link to below.

This is only my own speculation, based on my experience of the park and a few observations on human nature of course. Since this site isn't updated anymore, you might want to look in on TowersTimes, the Rollercoaster Club of Great Britain and one or two others for their opinions. At the risk of stating the obvious, there's also last years topic on here to read: http://forums.towersalmanac.com/index.php?showtopic=17168

Good luck searching and if you do go, I hope you all enjoy your day. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Marlowe: Dec 2 2010, 1:08 AM

+Quote Post
ClaireAT
post Dec 2 2010, 5:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,051

Hi Marlowe.

Thanks for your reply.

It still surprises me that bank holidays (even early season ones) are ever quiet at Alton Towers! But I hope you are right! Bank holidays for royal weddings are a bit of a rarity, so I guess it's difficult to predict how such an event will affect the number of visitors to Alton Towers. But maybe you are right about all the "hype" which will inevitably surround the forthcoming wedding......hopefully a substantial amount of the population (even those with children) will be brainwashed into thinking that they have to sit glued to their TVs watching it, which will leave Alton Towers and other theme parks relatively quiet!

We are currently looking into other options, i.e. the possibility of going on an inset day (teacher training day), which is only specific to our immediate area, at the beginning of July, because children in other areas of the country will still be at school then, but we have not definitely decided yet. So the information that you have provided will be very useful. My son is convinced that Alton Towers will be horrendously busy on 29th April 2010 and is very reluctant to go on that day, so I will show him your reply and see what he thinks!

I have only recently discovered this site and have only read a few posts so far, so I am not sure what you mean by "things aren't what they used to be".....I will read a bit more when I have a few minutes!

Thank you for your suggestions about other sites....I will check those out before we decide what to do. You said that this site isn't updated any more.....I did notice the message on the home page but it said "at the moment" so I wasn't sure. But if we do decide to go to Alton Towers on 29th April, I will try to post something either on here or another site, to let people know how busy or quiet it was.

Thanks again for your help.

Take care.

Claire x rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
joshua.newton
post Dec 8 2010, 7:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,061

Hi Claire.

I know you know who I am, but I really want to visit The Alton Towers Resort with you. i hope that we can visit in April due toit being nearer to now!!

I look forward to your reply.

Joshua rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2017 - 4:26 PM