5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, Universal Orlando Resort 2009
CoasterChick
post Oct 28 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,524

I can take Harry Potter or leave it but the opportunities for theming and the imagination behind the books could lead to endless creative possibilities. Universal seem to have their heads screwed firmly on and I can't imagine any project of theirs being an unanimous flop particularly in the Disney V Universal stakes. Will gauge as much info as I can whilst we're out there and report back! wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post Nov 11 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 85

I was just looking for somewhere to post this interesting darkride patent I found, and as it mentions Harry Potter perhaps its relevant to this new Harry Potter Land thingy. There’s a lot of words there so I just skipped through it, but the technology sounds interesting.

--------------------
I'm on iTunes!! as well as Amazon, emusic, ilike, immergent, last.fm, MOG, myspace, napster, and rhapsody.

+Quote Post
Howie
post Nov 20 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,271

QUOTE (CoasterChick @ Oct 28 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Will gauge as much info as I can whilst we're out there and report back! wink.gif

Nothing much to report yet, the new area (which is well concealed behind barriers and can only really be glimpsed from the lift-hill of the Flying Unicorn!) is nothing more than earthworks at the moment, and there's not a great deal of activity going on. There's a bit of scaffolding around some of the Duelling Dragon's lair which may or may not be related (the castle would, after all, be a perfect stand-in for Hogwarts) but so far nothing too drastic.

How was your holiday CoasterChick? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Howie: Nov 21 2007, 6:52 AM

+Quote Post
Rollercoaster Ty...
post Nov 27 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,809

QUOTE (Inverted Reality @ Nov 11 2007, 12:39 AM) *
I was just looking for somewhere to post this interesting darkride patent I found, and as it mentions Harry Potter perhaps its relevant to this new Harry Potter Land thingy. There’s a lot of words there so I just skipped through it, but the technology sounds interesting.

Sounds very similar to what Disney Imagineers have achieved with Toy Story Mania at Hollywod Studios.

+Quote Post
DragonGuardian
post Nov 28 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,185

Care to summarize? I don't want to read all that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Dec 2 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 32

its such a shame... couldn't universal have aquired land somewhere here in the uk and built like a mini wizarding world of harry potter? sad.gif

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
Rollercoaster Ty...
post Dec 2 2007, 8:46 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,809

QUOTE (DragonGuardian @ Nov 28 2007, 10:30 PM) *
Care to summarize? I don't want to read all that.

Are you thick? I summarised it perfectly in my post above.

+Quote Post
Graeme
post Dec 2 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 866

Uh, no you didn't, so please remove your head from your back side (if you can tell the difference between the two)

--------------------
Thank you for watching SanBrooke productions!

+Quote Post
DragonGuardian
post Dec 2 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,185

QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Nov 27 2007, 10:12 PM) *
Sounds very similar to what Disney Imagineers have achieved with Toy Story Mania at Hollywod Studios.
QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Dec 2 2007, 08:46 PM) *
Are you thick? I summarised it perfectly in my post above.

Maybe we're not all Disney fan boys and haven't got a clue what your on about. So explain or gtfo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
John
post Dec 2 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 375

Basically, it's going to be the first 'shoot em up' dark ride in which guests shoot at screens and such, therefore making it interactive and different every time, and a load of other expensive gubbins, and oh, I dunno, I don't think it sounds all that anyway, remember when you just sat down and rode rides without having to shoot at things?! Those were the days, kids when I was growing up had perfect attention spans, like a youthful illuminati I tell you.

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Dec 3 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

Is it really the firs shoot em up? Who ever remembers Sega World? They had a dark ride which would go through a haunted house and there was a screen on the front of your carriage. You would shoot at the CGI ghosts and monsters that were on the screen (and sometimes interacted with scenery behind the screen in the ride).
If you defeated the big boss at the end you would get to go around again, only this time it was level two, harder, different monsters etc, and the car (that spun by the way) would face different scenes it didn't face before. I am not sure how many times you could get to go around, but my brother and I manged three 'levels' could never defeat that final one.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
Mr-Davros
post Dec 3 2007, 8:16 AM
Post #32

From: A small blue planet in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Member No.: 1,462

QUOTE (Rollercoaster Tycoon @ Nov 27 2007, 10:12 PM) *
QUOTE (Inverted Reality @ Nov 11 2007, 12:39 AM) *

Nah, Toy Story Mania is more like their Buzz lightyear rides and Duel (Kinda).

This seems to be some sort of RPG in a ride, complete with characters and different spells and abilities. It even hinted as to the characters being able to be transfered to games consoles and the like.

All of this information is preferably stored on the card so that the character attributes may be easily and conveniently transported to other similarly-equipped ride facilities, computer games, video games, home game consoles, hand-held game units, and the like. In this manner, an imaginary role-play character is created and stored on a card that is able to seamlessly transcend from one play medium to the next.

Sounds pretty damn cool to me!

This post has been edited by Mr-Davros: Dec 3 2007, 8:18 AM

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Dec 3 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #33

would this be the wand element that has been talked about? where information would be stored in it?

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
Mr-Davros
post Dec 3 2007, 5:09 PM
Post #34

From: A small blue planet in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Member No.: 1,462

QUOTE (cookiee_munster @ Dec 3 2007, 11:22 AM) *
would this be the wand element that has been talked about? where information would be stored in it?

No, it sounds to me like the wand stays part of the ride, and you can buy some sort of memory card thing to keep your character on if you want.

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Dec 4 2007, 2:44 AM
Post #35

ive read that like "pal mickey" at disney world. somewhere in this harry potter world you can buy your own wand that will react to certain things around the park etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Dec 8 2007, 9:17 AM
Post #36

Group Icon

Member No.: 18

So much happening in 09, Im really tempted to put my intended trip off by a year... but then they'd just release plans for an uber 2010 ride that would make me want to kick myself.

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post Dec 8 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 17

Well the Harry Potter area is scheduled to open late 2009 anyway... so if I was planning a trip, I'd hold off til 2010 anyway.
But apparently in 2009 there are new coasters going into Universal Studios, Busch Gardens and Sea World.

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post
Howie
post Dec 10 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,271

I've read about the possible SeaWorld one (sounds cool - B&M flyer, manta ray type theme, Sheikra stylee water splashdown! smile.gif ) but what are the others pencilled in for Universal and Busch?

+Quote Post
Sebastian
post Dec 10 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 2,551

Maybe a sting ray one with a Sting Ray Barbe one with Steve Irwin closely in front?

This post is in Jest just if anyone was worrying!

This post has been edited by Sebastian: Dec 10 2007, 8:25 PM

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post Dec 11 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 17

Why is every mention of a stingray now quickly followed by a Steve Irwin joke? Bad times.

Howie, you're right about the Sea World coaster... that is the current rumour going around. It's meant to be a B&M Flyer similar to Air in that it will feature a more ground-hugging layout. Busch Gardens is apparently getting a B&M Hypercoaster (similar to Apollo's Chariot at its sister park in Williamsburg).

Universal Studios are apparently opening a coaster for the start of 2009 (Harry Potter is scheduled to open late 2009/early 2010 at IOA) - it was rumoured to be a junior B&M Hypercoaster (like Hollywood Dream at the Universal Park in Japan), but apparently B&M are no longer doing the project as they are contracted to build several new coasters in 2009 already (this could back up the Sea World and Busch Gardens rumours). Therefore it isn't really clear whether Universal Studios are intending to build a junior hypercoaster or not, as now that B&M are out, the rumoured manufacturers are either Premier, Vekoma or Maurer-Sohne.

There's also the small matter of what Disney are planning - surely they must be intending to open some new rides in 2009 or 2010 to counteract the opening of Harry Potter - but as yet, there is no word on what, or if they are at all, planning any new rides.

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 11:00 AM