Ayeropa Par
RPG
post Aug 23 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #1

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

I warn you, this post is very long, and in some places boring, and the K is missing for a reason.

I left work on Thursday last week giddy yet aphrensive about the day after where I’d be flying to a different country, and on a plane for only the 3rd and 4th times in my life. When I got home I had a quick tidy of the flat so I didn’t have to come back to a big mess and then proceeded to pack my things, suffice to say I conked out and ended up packing more still come the morning.

Paul arrived just before 9am to take me to Gem’s house, from which the two taxi’s were going to take us to Liverpool John Lennon Airport for the flight. At Gem’s house the rest of the rabble had already arrived, so not including me and Paul they consisted of;
Gem, Dan, Steve, Nicola, Tom, Mark, Chris (and John meeting us at the airport, with Wez, Chris, Ste, Laura meeting us at Europa) all packed into the mini-vans and off we went… into the lightning.

Check in went reasonably smoothly and quick, and before we knew it we were airside for the long wait before the flight boarded. As we waited I saw a plane for some sort of company called “Futura” with some crappy little atomic logo and a very old Boeing plane, I stated to the group that I was glad we weren’t flying on that pile of crap, looks more like ‘death air’ if I ever saw it. We flew on that plane. Easyjet had run out of their own planes, and had chartered this one. God.
Now, I must add at this point that we were the first people to queue for check-in and were assigned “Group A”, which basically means we should get to choose exactly where we sit on the flight, however thanks to some pretty poor management sections B, C and D were allowed on the flight before us, meaning that we were all split up on the plane, and John was sat on his own on his first ever plane flight. Not good. I was sat next to some graphic artist woman and her young son, who spent most of the journey being surprisingly pleasant, the sort of kid who you felt like giving a tenner and rubbing his hair in an uncle-rob kinda fashion. His mum was alright too, a rollercoaster fan of all things, and wanted to know all about Europa Park and my season pass. They were on a journey to see his father/her hubby I believe, a 3 hour train journey up to Baden-Baden. I really should have pointed out it’d have been cheaper and quicker to have flown to Baden from the UK…
Just before landing, we had a little play-on-words fun, as you can see below, for those who weren’t involved, points go to who can guess what the connection is.

Popular culture gone wrong

We touched down and got our bags from the carousel and were greeted with two taxi drivers who were going to take us the hours drive up to Europa Park. My taxi was a Mercedes-Benz Vito with blacked out windows and a grunt to it, I felt like some sort of German mafia boss on the way up DAS AUTOBAHN!

We arrived at the Park and instantly saw Silver Star from many miles away, Christ – I thought to myself, tomorrow I’ll be at the top of that thing hurtling down. Gem sitting next to me was giddy, Steve, Gem’s other half, nonchalant about the whole affair.

Driving up to the tipidorf (Teepee Village) was strange, because you go through a big village right next to the park, a replica coliseum and a lidl. We checked into our Tipi’s (I was in Wyatt Berry Stapp Earp) packed away our bags in lockers (#25 is the best!) and managed to blag free tickets on to the park for the last hour and a bit. So we rushed over there and looked at the horrendous queues… Oh crap, this is a Friday, imagine what Saturday will be like! We all thought. So, we went on a wander instead bought some food on the park (so basically, within 20mins of being in Germany I’d got a Bratwurst and a pint of Erdinger), and ended up in the Lidl on the other side of the park to buy some stuff for the weekend. I bought a fair few bottles of Hefe-Weiss beer for a mere 33c (20p-ish) a pint bottle, some bread, loads of Crisps, and a kinder surprise (I left the toy in Germany, annoyingly, but Ste reminded me of the wonderful Terrapins you used to get). Amazingly, while the bag I was carrying was one of those really big bags, It was a struggle to carry but only came to €5! Nuts.

Fire Fire!!

We carried the bags back to the park (which was a very long way with heavy bags) and started the evenings drinking. We made a camp fire in the fire area they supply and were all sat round drinking beer etc. and having fun. Some of us had a go on a bucking bronco they had installed there, myself included, and the conclusion there was that it is surprisingly difficult to vault gymnastic style onto a bronco at high speed while it’s spinning, you just end up with a cut foot and bruises. Then I made the tragic mistake of drinking the “dunkel malz” drink I’d bought from Lidl, expecting it to be the Dunkel Wheat beer, as they were next to each other. What I didn’t read was the smallprint on the back saying it was Alkoholfrei. Last time I drunk it I felt ill before my time, this time was no exception. So after a shameful 4 bottles of Weiss beer and half a bottle of Alkoholfrei I was in bed, feeling awful. I had a restful sleep, not waking up in the night at all. This wasn’t the case for the others though, who apparently spent a good 40minutes trying to wake me up with various failed attempts because of my snoring being beyond acceptable levels. In the end, they just left and slept in another tipi, but suffice to say my tipi was surprisingly empty come morning, with just John and Nicola surviving the night of my snoring tongue.gif

I opted against breakfast and went for a wash instead, came back got dressed and we all headed onto the theme park. Although it was the 2nd time I’d walked through the main gates, it certainly wasn’t any less awe inspiring. The whole main entrance Is covered in bunting flags and all the buildings are shops or attractions, and their Mickey Mouse rip off “EuroMaus” was walking round with his fishwife thing, oompaa bands are playing, and Spanish flamenco dancers spin past you.

The first ride we rode was Silver Star, which is Europe’s highest rollercoaster apparently, and I’m pretty sure they’re right, because when you’re at the top hanging over the edge it is a LONG way down when you don’t have over the shoulder restraints like a normal coaster, but instead lapbar things. The ride is really floaty and rather cool, certainly one you could do all day and not get ill or anything. I was then kicked out of the shop for drinking a drink I’d bought in the shop by some German Frau, wasn’t happy about that.

After this we went on Euro-Sat, which is an indoor rollercoaster built into what is basically the Epcot ball, but currently it has a giant football covering it. It reminded me of blackhole at Alton Towers, and was a surprisingly good and smooth ride, wish I’d done it more than once tbh.

From here we went on Poseidon, the water coaster which is similar to that of “Journey to Atlantis” in Florida (but not as good, shhh), the queue was crazily long as it was reaching 35’C outside and the Italians flocked to it to cool off. This queueline was the lowpoint to the whole trip in my opinion, with the bloody Italians surrounding us jostling for position in the queue, and being very rude about the whole situation. The ride was good though, and you didn’t get too wet thankfully, just wet enough to cool down, the plus point over Journey to Atlantis was that it was very fast!

We then walked over to the English area for some food, and to be subjected to a torrent of abuse from a ride where one of the animatronic characters shouts a rather rude word beginning with ‘C’ several times. It was at this point that a group of Germans pointed and laughed down at our feet and muttered something about the “Die Englischen” and their “Beine”. It was at this point I noticed that despite it being tropical temperatures, only us had shorts on, everyone else had jeans on, and that German guy had just said “Look at the English, and their legs, lol!”

After this international humility we went over to the Russian section to ride Euro-Mir, a spinning coaster which lasts ages and is generally quite insane. It’s complimented by having a full size replica of Mir outside, as well as a giant radio telescope the same size of Jodrell bank as theming, along with Russian dancers, glassblowers, café Babushka and some other stereotypically Russian things wink.gif

In the Swiss sector there is two rollercoaster’s, the Swiss Bob Run and the Alpine coaster thing, the latter being a ride where you go up in an actual lift to get to the top of the course, which is pretty cool.

Next up was the Austrian area of the park, which contains the mine train, and the best bloody mine train I’ve ever ridden. The track itself is fairly good, with fast sections and lots of corners etc, and then you suddenly descend into a tunnel and come out in this giant diamond mine containing soup dragons and fire! Better than that, was the fact you could walk round this place afterwards as another attraction in the park!

As we were walking around we inadvertently managed to walk onto a jumping water fountain area, and as Dan was telling a story to the rest of the group a piece of jumping water flew up and smacked him right in the face, it looked like he’d been snipered from the top of Euro-Mir, but with wetter consequences. The funny thing is, I was about to warn him of the water as I saw it come at him in slow motion! I wish I’d got it on video, dang.

The next highlight was the Observation tower thing, which gave a very good view of the park surprisingly, and was pretty cool to go on, despite the wait. Surprisingly really, because I always remember it in Rollercoaster Tycoon as attracting the least amount of queues… damn computer games telling me lies!

One of the final sections of the park we did was the Nordic areas, which contained the rapids, but myself and Dan didn’t fancy getting wet at the end of the day, so walked round looking at pirate/Viking stuff instead and then had a sit down and some crepes. The others text to say they were heading to Silver Star for the last ride of the day, but we managed to beat them by a few trains, as we were closer!

We went back to the Tipi’s after being kicked out of the park by a security guard with a moped and I was feeling pretty crap so went for a shower as everyone decided what they were going to do for tea. In the end, they all went for a meal at a local restaurant (which was good price wise I thought) but I went back to the tipi after a coke because I didn’t feel like eating and was feeling queasy. I got my camera out of the lockers, went for some fresh air for 10mins then went back to the tipi’s and fell asleep.

Everyone came back around midnight I think, and we stayed up for a while chatting until a woman nearby told us to shut up and to go to bed, pssh. Didn’t get much sleep really, as I couldn’t get comfortable with my sleeping bag.

http://static.flickr.com/72/220306563_bd4e9d6f74_m.jpg
(This last one won't display as i've done too many pictures apparently)

Woke up on Sunday and went and took a load of photos of Silver Star from the car park with Mark, then went back to be attacked by wasps at breakfast, so I abandoned my bread and chocolate in favour of packing away. I managed to succeed in the impossible and get all my hold luggage back in again, which was a relief, and went off for a shower. We ordered some Taxi’s from the Hotel Colloseo so we could see what it looked like, and bloody hell it was amazing. We must have spend a good few hours there, but I could have spent all day there sitting in the plaza, watching the water and climbing the full scale model of the Coliseum.

Eventually, our taxi’s arrived, and we went back to the airport to suffer some pretty harsh security checks in my opinion (first bag search at security was fine, but the 2nd at the gate was disgusting, and had it been an airport when the staff spoke English I’d have complained. They basically tipped open my hand luggage taking no care for my camera equipment and rifled through it, pushing it over to me and then making me leave the area despite carrying all my contents sans being in the bag.
The flight home was fine, and I saw Unilever from the sky, which was pretty cool. Most people went back to Gem’s after for take-away and stuff, but to be honest I just wanted to get home. I downloaded the photos, then fell asleep.

What did I learn from all this? If you can find a cashmachine which works in Germany all is good, because the rate is 1.5 euro to the pound with no charge if you’re lucky, that the English look silly with their legs, and Dan gets der wasser in die face make everyone laugh. All in all, it was a fun trip, and hopefully something which’ll be repeated next year, but I hope to return to Europe somepoint later in the year, if not with work, but on my own steam.

My photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arepeejee/set...157594244598391

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gem
post Aug 24 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 194

Good grief, an exhaustively thorough report. smile.gif

And some very nice photos. But look, your arm must have slipped a lot, because whoever was posing for them is off the edge of the screen. You've ended up with just a load of scenery and rollercoasters, tch!

I won't do a report. I've just written a Babble on Gemstuff that covers it all anyway, if anyone is interested. Photos also to be found there, and you might even see some familiar faces in them, but not as many rollercoasters, I'm afraid.

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
RPG
post Aug 24 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #3

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

They're coming later, I was going to do them this evening, but I spent most of the time doing the report, ah well.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
RPG
post Aug 24 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #4

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Uploaded them now, I'm gonna die in work tomorrow!

http://www.rpg.dudehost.com/coppermine/thu...ls.php?album=70

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gem
post Aug 24 2006, 1:51 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gem @ Aug 24 2006, 01:31 AM) *
I've just written a Babble on Gemstuff that covers it all anyway, if anyone is interested. Photos also to be found there, and you might even see some familiar faces in them, but not as many rollercoasters, I'm afraid.

Erm, thanks whoever made the words "babble" and "photos" into links. I certainly couldn't be bothered. I suspect Dan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaycee
post Aug 24 2006, 3:43 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 104

Wow, great reports and photos! Looks like you had an excellent time, that TeePee Village thing looks worth a stay! Glad you all enjoyed yourself. biggrin.gif

--------------------
je veux ton amore
et je veux ton revanche

+Quote Post
Gem
post Aug 24 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

It was fun. smile.gif

I seem to already be forgetting all the stress and the thoughts of "never again" and having vague ideas for another trip next year... oh dear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Aug 24 2006, 8:12 PM
Post #8

Photographer
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

It was a great trip and very well organised too. My report basicly follows the same as Rob's.
I look forward to another trip somewhere soon biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tom Bannister
ATA Site Photographer

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post Aug 24 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #9

Hopping in puddles since 1984
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Looks like a good time was had, but I'm still kinda glad I didn't go, as you all look infuriatingly slappable jolly. ph34r.gif

wink.gif wub.gif

This post has been edited by thekitkatshuffler: Aug 24 2006, 9:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wez
post Aug 24 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 33

You can't quite see the armed gunmen to the left shouting 'cheese'.

+Quote Post
PaulMorgster
post Aug 25 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 21

Instead of the usual trip report, I thought I would describe all the things that make Europa Park so special.

20 Reasons why Europa Park is better than Alton Towers

1. Shuttle Buses. Getting to the park from the airport couldn't be easier. Gem had ordered two shuttle minibuses to the park. How ace is that! I don't think Alton Towers has this, let alone a bus service that's any good. It was €100 for each 'taxi' but split between 10 of us it was pretty good, especially since it was an hour's drive. I was impressed that they can go this far out to get people to their park.

2. Tipi Village. Cheap accommodation is such a great idea for those people who want to stay over and have two days but don't want to spend a fortune on hotels. You get what you pay for so they are not luxury but still they are good enough! A bed, heating and light in the tipi, and clean good showers and toilets. The only small problem was the busy sinks in the morning; I like privacy in the bathroom. There is also a bucking bronco at night which is great fun when you're drunk, even though I cut myself and had blood on my hands at the end of it.

There are camp fires that you can sit around, ace! And when you have to be moved to keep the noise away from sleeping people, you get sent to a dark lake. There is a restaurant, but the food finishes at 10.0pm, too early as I have never tried the food, and the breakfast is quite lame. But still there were other food places nearby which did great pizzas.

3. Helpful Staff and Free Stuff. When we arrived on the Friday, there was one hour left before ride close and the guy in the Tipi reception let us have one hour on park for free! Although we did not get on any rides, the thought was great and we did get to see the park which was a nice introduction for those who had not been yet.

Coming back from Lidl with bags of food and booze, we were able to get a free transport with no hassle from the hotels to the Tipi Village. Then getting back to the hotels on the last day we again had transport, but this time in a fantastic crazy old style red bus thingy. Just saved us walking both times and they were friendly about it.

The small transport vehicle that looked like giant bingo machines on wheels was great to get to the park in the morning. So much nicer than a monorail.

All day on park all the staff were great or average. Not once did I see one staff looking fed up.

4. Solar Powered Park. Only a small thing but seeing how parts of the park, including the Tipi showers, were powered by solar was just an interesting touch that made me smile and think how great they are thinking about the environment.

5. Park Maps in Three Languages. It would be nice to see Alton have park maps in different languages. Nothing major but its just another one of those nice touches and extra effort that made me smile. We should welcome foreign visitors to our parks, I felt ashamed that they had an English one, because they knew that we would not be able to understand German. Well, it was true.

6. Atmosphere. As soon as you walk into the park you can see how busy the atmosphere is. So many different entertainers, people in costumes, band playing, it was ace. The whole day you can do everything you want but still miss so much. When we were in one queue we saw the parade. I am not a big fan of parades but they are so great and make any park fun. I still haven't seen any of the shows, there is too much to see and do. The whole park is so crowded and busy but in a good way, if that makes sense. There is so much happening you have to be really observant to see it all. It makes you think how much effort goes in to making one day go by.

7. Cleanliness of the Park. The park was so clean. I never saw any litter and apart from that, buildings and rides just looked, well, clean! Pretty much everything looked new. I wouldn't have guessed that some rides have been there longer than five years, some were made in the 1980s. There was more smokers here but even that was done with good cleanliness; bins for the butts or if they were dropped, staff would pick them up.

8. Fantastic Queues. All the queues are themed fantastically. They were only a few occasions when I was bored in a queue. Most of the time I was happy looking around, admiring scenery or listening to music. For example, the queue for Poseidon was all themed as the city of Troy. You walk under the wooden horse and through the gates and then queue all around the city! It was the longest queue of the day but it did not feel 60 minutes. It said the queue time was 90 minutes.

Silver Star's queue is a car showroom but done which good taste that I like that queue. The Matterhorn Blitz and Pirates in Batavia had animatronics! Queuing for Atlantica Supersplash you can listen to the great 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie soundtrack.

Not once was a queue as long as it stated. Every one was less than it said. Most of the queues moved fluently as well which was good, I hate being in a queue that doesn't move. Even when there was a gap and they batched it was done so well that I didn't mind stopping and waiting. There were a few winding back and forth and some hidden queues but I loved being immersed in each queue getting a feel of each ride.

9. Deeply Themed Areas. Each 'Country' was so well themed you could at times believe you were in Italy, Germany etc. The small enclosed streets of Switzerland, the large scale sunny side of Greece, the, erm, English part? Yeah OK we'll let you off. The pointless but ace satellite in Russia, and the large Pirate Ship in Portugal. The fishing village of Scandinavia with a fantastically carved church. They were all so well done and it was great to see that each year they have a 'New' sign on the maps that just point to new bits of themeing they have added. Wow.

What was cool was in areas they had real craftsman ship. Like in Russia you can view a carve man carving wood sculptures, a glass blower and a man doing fine painting.

10. Incredibly Fast Loading. Every coaster we went on, we sat in the seat and it was a few seconds until we were off. This helped queue times go down. It was amazing how quick every ride gets loaded, Eurosat did it in twelve seconds! They only look at the restraints, not checking them all. This was good on Silver Star where I had a massive space between me and the restraint and at times I was practically floating in mid air. How cool!

11. Unique Lift-Hills. Eurosat and Euro Mir had cool spiral lift hills that pull you along by a central spinning cylinder. They take ages but that adds to the great quirkiness of the rides. Matterhorn Blitz has the cool elevator that tilts as you rise. These just add to the crazy aceness of the park.

12. Strange Dark Rides. I love dark rides and Europa has a great many that are all weird but good. Ghost castle, the Haunted Mansion rip off, was funky. It had a camp skeleton in the shop for it. Ciao Bambini, which sounds threatening translating as 'Bye Child', made me want to eat everything with it's cinnamon smell. And it has a tunnel of love, and if that wasn't enough, you go round a corner, and there's another one! The dinosaur ride had cool dinosaurs that made me jump. The Sleigh Ride in Russia is quaint with a fantastic soundtrack. Then the ace Pirates in Batavia that ends up as a jungle ride. They all are great little rides, crazy soak-up-the-queues rides that Alton needs.

13. A Water-Squirting Dolphin. Don't ask why, but this was possibly the highlight of the trip. I paid 50Cents to control a dolphin I could move and soak riders on Poseidon after the final drop. It also backfired in the controllers face, but luckily I didn't get the first blast, Tom did, so I stayed out of the way. It lasted a long time and it was great to soak people on the ride. Some hated it and wanted to kill me, while some liked it. I wish all rides had one.

14. Bathing in a Pool. By Eurosat in the French area was a large pool. It was so clean that at one point I stopped to bathe my feet in it. It was just so pleasant sitting there, especially to cool my feet down after a day of walking. I would never want to do it in any of Alton's pool's or the lake, and probably wouldn't be allowed to. The water everywhere on park was so clean, maybe, too clean.

15. Not Very Wet Water Rides. I like to get soaked on rides on hot days, I would have liked to have got wet on this day, But Poseidon, Atlantica and the Fjord-Rafting only got me marginally wet. If Alton were to have a Water Coaster, the wetness you get on Poseidon would be perfect for this country. Atlantica, although implying a Supersplash, is less wet than Poseidon, even on the front. The Rapids get you the most wet. We did not go on the Tirol Log Flume this time but I remember not getting wet again.

16. Baron William's Mystery Hall. In the England part there is a small 'ride' where you walk in and watch animatronics try to be scary. We all thought this was just a pre-show before the ride but no, that's it. Around the next corner is the exit.

But still, for us English, it's the funniest thing ever! One animatronic, while talking in German, ends by shouting at us, 'Kuntz! Oh Kuntz! Yeah, Kuntz! Kuntz, oh Kuntz!' You can imagine what the English equivalent is! If only Alton had a crappy ride that swore at you.

17. Euro-Mir. What an amazing ride this is. The spinning cars, the ace start through a tunnel being tilted. The crazy long lift hill with dance music and a giant rocket. The slow decent around the large glass towers before the first drop. The ace speed as the ride has no where to go but down so picks up speed right to the end. It's my favourite ride in the park just for it's fun factor and quirky extras. Also it feels like the fastest and most intense ride there. Wow! I want one!

18. World Of Diamonds. How cool to have a themed cave that you can walk through that has lots of animatronics including a Cyber-Dragon. ("Where's, Gareth?") Not only is it amazing to look at, the Mine Train and Log Flume both pass through it, with a flame thrower attacking the Mine Train! I would love something as richly themed as this at Alton.

19. Three Great Hotels. All hotels are excellent, the Spanish castle themed one, the other one, and the breathtaking Colosseo. As soon as you walk in and look up I was amazed at the balconies looking down and the detailed painting on the ceiling. Outside is the courtyard with a replica of that coliseum thing in Italy. Also a fountains show which is such fun to run through, even though you get soaked. There is such in depth themeing throughout; the children's play area, the restaurant that looks down on another dungeon restaurant, the toilets which felt like I was peeing in a dungeon. Such effort that goes into it. I just hope they have great entertainment at night, as we did not get to see that.

20. DVD and CDs. I bought the Europa Park DVD before I left and it is really good. Also the three soundtracks for the ride looked good. I like park music and watching DVDs of the park. Alton really should do them as they are great souvenirs. The DVD is also excellently put together, and in three languages. It was a nice way to remember my trip when I got home, and helped me get a better knowledge of the park.

To Europa Park. You may not be my favourite park in the world but you make me happy and excel in areas that other parks just wish they knew how to do.

--------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurios pronsite of 'hot XXX galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour.
"Tis not possible!", I muttered, "give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the Server,

+Quote Post
Howie
post Aug 27 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,271

Ok, I'm sold.
All these amazing trip reports from Europa have convinced me to book three nights in the Colosseo over the Hallowe'en weekend.

What I want to know is this: How far is Europa Park from Phantasialand? Could I shoe-horn a visit to Phantasia' into the same trip without trekking across continents and without going bankrupt in the process?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Ta!

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 28 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

From: Home: Gravesend, Kent. Uni: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Member No.: 429

Good choice!

Well if we look at this lovely map, Europa is between Freiburg and Baden-Baden in the South, while Phantasia is near Cologne (Koln) and Bonn in the West, which using that handy scale means they're about 300km apart, about 190 miles. So as I presume your flying, there's no real easy way of getting to Phantasia although i'd imagine there's probably a pretty quick train going between Freiburg and Cologne which is probably pretty cheap knowing the Germans.

This post has been edited by Adam: Aug 28 2006, 12:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Howie
post Aug 28 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #14

Thanks Adam, having looked into it in a little more detail I've pretty much concluded that it's not really feasible - cost, logistics, time off work etc..
Maybe do a seperate trip to Phantasia' next year some time.

But then you've got Heide Park too... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Dan
post Aug 28 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #15

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Howie @ Aug 28 2006, 08:53 PM) *
Maybe do a seperate trip to Phantasia' next year some time.

We're toying with ideas for another ATA foreign trip next year, my personal choice would be to stay in the Teepees at Phantasialand (all the best parks have them, donchaknow). I think PortAventura is also being suggested, as well as a few others. So if we do end up going to Phantasialand, you could come with, just to see if we can find another lake to throw Gem into. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Howie
post Aug 28 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #16

Thanks Dan, that'd be cool. Would have loved to come to the last one but circumstances wouldn't allow it.
And I gotta say, Gem + lake = muchas fun!

+Quote Post
Gem
post Aug 28 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (Howie @ Aug 28 2006, 11:07 PM) *
Gem + lake = muchas fun!

My phone disagreed. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Aug 28 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #18

Photographer
Group Icon

Member No.: 94

QUOTE (Dan @ Aug 28 2006, 09:54 PM) *
We're toying with ideas for another ATA foreign trip next year, my personal choice would be to stay in the Teepees at Phantasialand (all the best parks have them, donchaknow)

Seconded, from what I have heard from people who have been wink.gif Phantasialand is great. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tom Bannister
ATA Site Photographer

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

+Quote Post
Gem
post Aug 28 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

You know, I'm getting a funny feeling. Like the first few grains of sand trickling down the hillside.

Then a couple of pebbles get displaced, a rock or two... and then before I know it I'll be sprinting to outrun the landslide.

Phantasialand then anyone? mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dan
post Aug 28 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #20

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

Do two votes class as "inevitability" these days? huh.gif

--------------------