Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
30 years of Alton Towers
Tatton
post Dec 29 2009, 1:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 575

I don't think that I've read anything about this on here as yet, but Towers are intending celebrating their 30th year next year... any thoughts anyone?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dan
post Dec 29 2009, 1:44 AM
Post #2

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

I've not heard anything along those lines... although if there's some column inches to be had along those lines, maybe they'll mark the occasion somehow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tatton
post Dec 29 2009, 1:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 575

Stayed in the ATH last night, and it's in their bedroom browser... Took pics, but not really sure how to post them on ATA... may add them to Flickr tomorrow, and link...

+Quote Post
Minibus_Driver
post Dec 29 2009, 2:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,005

I hope they have 30yrs of the tower behind the scenes tour going on during the year.

and i do wonder if AT reads this stuff.

+Quote Post
D4n
post Dec 30 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #5

Formerly 'AirRules'

Member No.: 11,249

QUOTE (Tatton @ Dec 29 2009, 1:36 AM) *
I don't think that I've read anything about this on here as yet, but Towers are intending celebrating their 30th year next year... any thoughts anyone?

I'm sure there'll hold some sort of special event to celebrate. And I'm sure they'll advertise it as '30 years, 3 new coasters' on the TV (branding Th13teen and the re-themed Spinball & Rita as new). I reckon we could see the return of the Scarefest laser show, and perhaps the return of Chocolate Towers as well.

Alton's 30th year will certainly be a big one for them. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Jan 4 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #6

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Some of you may have noticed a bit of a change to the park logo, acknowledging the 30 years smile.gif

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jan 7 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 870

Would be nice if AT did a fireworks / laser celebration this year for their birthday. Like the good old days!

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 7 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

With the limitations in place, a fireworks event isn't really viable

--------------------

+Quote Post
D4n
post Jan 8 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #9

Formerly 'AirRules'

Member No.: 11,249

Yeah, I agree with Will, I don't think Alton would ever get permission to host another firewrk dislay. Though I supose a laser show would be possible?

+Quote Post
cookiee_munster
post Jan 9 2010, 2:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 32

Gawd. its would be amazing if something like Disney's World of Colour was installed on/in the main lake. looks immense!!!

This post has been edited by cookiee_munster: Jan 9 2010, 2:48 PM

--------------------
Hush Your Lips, Or I Shall Cut Them Off, Place Them Upon Your Mother, And Kiss Her...

+Quote Post
eyeamthu1
post Jan 10 2010, 7:41 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17

The fact that the park is at least acknowledging their 30th Year Anniversary is a good thing - it shows that they MIGHT have something special cooked up.

Obviously we have the addition of Thirteen which, despite being officially announced, is still fairly secretive and mysterious. On a lesser scale, we have the Spinball retheme, which the park have yet to tell us anything about. Then there's the also unannounced addition of the Corkscrews at the park entrance. I just wonder if there might be a few other minor additions / changes to mark the 30th Year Anniversary as well, which the park have yet to divulge...

--------------------

Check out my New Element Spotlight RCT2 park: Magic Realms Resort

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jan 10 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (eyeamthu1 @ Jan 10 2010, 7:41 PM) *
I just wonder if there might be a few other minor additions / changes to mark the 30th Year Anniversary as well, which the park have yet to divulge...

Yeah, parking will probably go up again ha ha ha ha smile.gif

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jan 15 2010, 7:26 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,274

QUOTE (WillPS @ Jan 7 2010, 12:22 PM) *
With the limitations in place, a fireworks event isn't really viable

QUOTE (Air Dan @ Jan 8 2010, 11:37 AM) *
Yeah, I agree with Will, I don't think Alton would ever get permission to host another firewrk dislay. Though I supose a laser show would be possible?

Im not starting anything but I have to ask, why do you 2 think there wont be a fireworks display this year? If its based soley on noise, can i just say the forthcoming P!nk concert on 27th June, thats gonna be louder and longer than a fireworks display (even just down to the fans singing along). Plus, the old noise abatment order died when Merlin took over and as its new owners, may infact be no longer valid as the court noise abatement order was taken under the time of Tussauds not Merlin but im sure somone whos studied law will be able to set the record straight on this as in did the noise abatment order lie with the park or the company at the time.

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
meames
post Jan 15 2010, 9:00 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11

I thought the Noise order thingy only limited the number of fireworks displays, not banned them, and stopped them using those big air bomb things.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
Jayne
post Jan 15 2010, 9:12 AM
Post #15

Editor
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 761

QUOTE (Boombox2009 @ Jan 15 2010, 7:26 AM) *
Plus, the old noise abatment order died when Merlin took over and as its new owners, may infact be no longer valid as the court noise abatement order was taken under the time of Tussauds not Merlin but im sure somone whos studied law will be able to set the record straight on this as in did the noise abatment order lie with the park or the company at the time.

I've not studied law and can't give a definitive answer, but I think the Tussauds/Merlin confusion came when the Ropers tried to get the abatement order increased. They filed the court papers against Tussauds when Merlin had already taken over (hence the case was thrown out of court and Ropers lost a lot of money in the process).

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jan 17 2010, 9:44 AM
Post #16

I may be wrong, but I didnt think AT were actually "banned" from any fireworks displays, they were limited to 3 days instead of the 5 and there was a maximum noise order imposed on the noise of the fireworks. Anyone remember the last display when Dr Pop rocket? came on and said if we wanted more we had to make some noise, then "sssshhhh" came on the screen lol.

AT decided that it wasnt worth running this event for just 3 days given the huge numbers of people that used to attend, usually 20,000+ each day so they decided to concentrate more on the Scarefest events instead.

So it may be possible to have a fireworks event, limited to a day or two perhaps and without too many loud bangs! Who knows. I dont think they would do it, but, it would have been nice.

+Quote Post
Boombox2009
post Jan 17 2010, 2:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 14,274

QUOTE (garyholc @ Jan 17 2010, 9:44 AM) *
Anyone remember the last display when Dr Pop rocket? came on and said if we wanted more we had to make some noise, then "sssshhhh" came on the screen lol.

Do you want some more?

Are you sure?

Keep the noise down

Ah the memories come flooding back. lol It may of been the campest fireworks ever but of course, the above wasnt a dig at the ropers at all, was it wink.gif

--------------------

Diazepam = strange stuff! 01/02/10: New start, want to be re.invigored?

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Jan 17 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 348

They're limited to 3 days, and can only use "quieter shells" - and the cost of setting up a show etc. cannot be justified with those constraints. There were also fears at the time that such constraints would cause severe overcrowding.

The Noise Abatement order was served to Alton Towers Operations Ltd. (I think). The transfer of ownership doesn't effect a legal judgement in any case.

I guess the Pink thing could have some fireworks though. We'll see...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 2:30 AM