Reply to this topicStart new topic
PSPvsDS
Inverted Reality
post Feb 26 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 85

Ok so nither of these little marvels are out yet but is anyone planning to get either of them? I think i'll end up getting the PSP even though its costs so much more, but it just looks sooo nice (i know im shallow!). That and the fact its will have a wipeout game, by far my faverate serice of games, appart from shoot-em-ups but sadly i dont see them releasing a GCP (G-Con Portable happy.gif ) But 6 hours battary, to me that sucks! The 10 hours of the DS is hardly that amazing either. The psp has mp3 (not sure about DS) and movies, and they both have wireless conectivity. The DS however is backwards compatable with GBA games, so presumably all game boy games?

Anyone any opinions on either of these?

--------------------
I'm on iTunes!! as well as Amazon, emusic, ilike, immergent, last.fm, MOG, myspace, napster, and rhapsody.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RPG
post Feb 26 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #2

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

I've pre-ordered a DS, its coming next week biggrin.gif

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Feb 26 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 795

I'd get a DS. The PSP battery life is a questionably meagre 6 hours, the movies cost more than a video game and the software support isn't looking too good right now.

I'll look again after E3 though.

+Quote Post
Ben
post Feb 27 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 284

I played with a DS in Game yesterday, it finally swung the needle of "Which should I buy" firmly over to the PSP for me.

+Quote Post
bKangy
post Feb 27 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 795

It couldn't swing the needle for me, because some mindless angry.gif used the stylus to trash the screens, then nicked off with the stylus. I was so very dissapointed at that, I went and bought a load of used games.

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
John R
post Feb 27 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

What the hell are you on about? lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post Feb 27 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben @ Feb 27 2005, 12:09 AM)
I played with a DS in Game yesterday, it finally swung the needle of "Which should I buy" firmly over to the PSP for me.

Why, what didnt you like about it?

Im thinking that the two screens, while a nice idea, is it really going to be that good. Id rather have one good screen TBH.

--------------------
I'm on iTunes!! as well as Amazon, emusic, ilike, immergent, last.fm, MOG, myspace, napster, and rhapsody.

+Quote Post
John R
post Feb 27 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Whats a PSP and a DS

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post Feb 27 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Whats a PSP and a DS

There the next gen hand held consoles.

PSP

DS

The PSP being Sonys Play Station Portable and the DS is Nintendos new one.

This post has been edited by Inverted Reality: Feb 27 2005, 12:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonathan
post Feb 27 2005, 1:17 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 14

I think the DS can play MP4 movies and mp3 with an additional adapter.

I don't think either machine shines over the other. However if I had to choose i'd probably go for the DS as it's a Nintendo, has better battery life and is cheaper.

--------------------
Jonathan Foster
ATA Team Member

------------------------

+Quote Post
Ben
post Feb 27 2005, 2:58 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 284

QUOTE (Inverted Reality @ Feb 27 2005, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE (Ben @ Feb 27 2005, 12:09 AM)

Why, what didnt you like about it?

Im thinking that the two screens, while a nice idea, is it really going to be that good. Id rather have one good screen TBH.

Well I think its because the game on it was Wario, and basically it was pretty much an eye toy with a touchscreen instead of a camera. You played games where you popped balloons by touching the screen. The second screen was wasted, it did nothing at all.

The graphics were nothing to write home about, could easily have been playing on a GBA with a very large lid attached.

It just seems like Nintendo heard about the PSP and thought 'Oh crap, we better get something out before them'. Just felt like it was rushed.

The PSP, from what I've seen of reviews and videos from countries that have already got them, just really impresses me. The battery life may be low, but if the batteries are removable (Which I believe they are) then you can just buy a spare. My laptop battery will only last for 6 hours with medium usage, thats still enough to take it on a fairly long train journey and watch a film or two, do some work etc... The PSP is the same, how often are you going to be spending 6 hours playing one without recharge? I mean even on a fairly long plane journey I wouldn't be able to play games for much longer than that.

It couldn't swing the needle for me, because some mindless mad.gif used the stylus to trash the screens, then nicked off with the stylus. I was so very dissapointed at that, I went and bought a load of used games.

Thats another point. The one I used had scratches all over the screen, so much so that they had taken away the stylus and you needed to use your fingers to control it, which meant the screen was covered in fingermarks.

I can picture over-excited gamers getting stressed at not passing a mission in a game, and as a result trashing the screen because of heavy handed use of the stylus.

This post has been edited by Ben: Feb 27 2005, 3:05 AM

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Feb 27 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #12

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Not played with one myself but was talking to Josh who works in Dixons and has been playing with them both and he was also of the opinion the PSP rocked and the DS was trash smile.gif

There you go, a non-coaster-enthusiast opinion to go in the mix wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jay
post Feb 28 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 52

Id consider waiting for a few months and maybe getting both at a cheaper price maybe.

However, the idea of playing a grand theft auto game on the way to college on the bus is just something that makes me want to buy a psp.

Im going to wait and see after a few months what the quality of game distribution on both consoles are though.

--------------------
"evolution is just solution, man"

+Quote Post
Sim
post Feb 28 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10

Neither. Portable game playing is so 1995! Doesn't appeal to me this time I'm afraid!

--------------------

+Quote Post
phi11ip
post Feb 28 2005, 1:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Ben @ Feb 27 2005, 02:58 AM)
The battery life may be low, but if the batteries are removable (Which I believe they are) then you can just buy a spare.

Spare batteries are £40 a go! Sod that!

Plus the battery life is only 3 hours for Ridge Racers, and even lower when you play using WI-FI.

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Feb 28 2005, 1:20 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8

Definately getting a PSP. Neither consoles are "Trash". Ive played Mario on the DS and I found it very boring. The graphics were plain and the game started with me chasing a yellow rabbit for a key. Not my cup of tea. The touchscreen is a nice idea, and Warioware is fun, but it will get very boring after a weak and having two screens is THE worst gimmick ive ever seen on a games console ever. It adds nothing to the gaming experience at all.

The PSP screen is amazing in terms of size and quality. Widesreen adds a lot to the console and EVERYONE I know thats seen one has commented on the screen looking much bigger and better than they thought.

The English version of the PSP is rumoured to come with 1gb in built memory to make up for the delay. It has Wi-Fi access and bluetooth. Fancy sitting on the bus and getting a message that someone else wants to hook up for a game of Wipeout. Wirelessly. Free. Great! Sony is also doing software updates for free including a web browser. People are also creating better themed inter-faces and mods. (Matrix Coding screensaver anyone?)

I got a DVD with the PS2 magazine PSM2 which had game footage. Wow. The graphics are superb. PS2 quality. Its also getting a Metal Gear game, a Gran Turismo game, A Final Fantasy game and a Grand Theft Auto game. All original games for the PSP... not PS2 ports (Other than Gran Turismo 4). This along with MP3 and Movie playback (And its easy enough to rip a DVD onto your PC and encode/compress it to play on a PSP with free software... so you dont have to spend loads buying movies on UMD's)

The battery life according to PSM2 is 6 hours with the brightness on full and the speakers on full with Ridge Racer on (Which has amazing graphics). It should make 8 hours at most, with 6 being average. I dont know about you, but I wont spend half of my day on a portable console. The only reason id need more than 6 hours is if I was going on a long long flight or going camping. If you desperately need more than 6 hours then buy a spare battery for £30

I am not a Sony fanboy. I prefer my Xbox to my PS2 and am not saying "THA DS Suxx0rs... GeT A PPPSSSSPPPP!!!". The DS is good, and if you want to play Mario Party 576 and Nintendo 64 ports then thats fine. It has some worthy titles... but I dont think it can possibly survive against the PSP. The DS has so far beat the PSP in sales in Japan due to its earlier release... but based on Launch date figures, and current weekly sales figures it seem Nintendo has finally lost its grip on the portable console Market.

Spare batteries are £40 a go! Sod that!

Plus the battery life is only 3 hours for Ridge Racers, and even lower when you play using WI-FI.

Batteries are £30 http://search.ebay.co.uk/PSP-Battery_W0QQs...ntrypageZsearch and ive never read anywhere that Ridge Racer plays for 3 hours. Not even with everything on full. And if it did, which it doesnt, it wouldnt bother me. I spend 40 mins every day on a train and 1 hour dinner break. Thats all id need.

The battery lasts 10-11 hours for MP3's and ive read 3 hours for Movies.

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: Feb 28 2005, 1:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
phi11ip
post Feb 28 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Inaudible-Whisper @ Feb 28 2005, 01:20 PM)
Batteries are £30 http://search.ebay.co.uk/PSP-Battery_W0QQs...ntrypageZsearch and ive never read anywhere that Ridge Racer plays for 3 hours. Not even with everything on full. And if it did, which it doesnt, it wouldnt bother me. I spend 40 mins every day on a train and 1 hour dinner break. Thats all id need.

The battery lasts 10-11 hours for MP3's and ive read 3 hours for Movies.

Firstly, stuff off of eBay will always be cheaper as they're probably stolen! £30 is still a lot too!

Secondly, IGN Link. It doesn't get more official than that, unless Sony were to do it...

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Feb 28 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #18

The IGN article tests it with WI-FI on, speakers on full and brightness on full. WI-FI is obviously gonna eat the batteries. The IGN article then states you will gain an extra hour without WI-FI but everything else up full (So if your in a dark dark room and you're half deaf). With full brightness and full volume but with headphones on, the playtest goes up to 5 hours, 9 minutes and thats on the IGN article you gave. So... if you're playing it on normal brightness with half volume you should get on average 6 hours. What I stated earlier. Obviously if you have everything on full and your playing with someone else via WI-FI the battery will be eaten. And 10 hours for MP3 was also backed up by your IGN article.

Edge magazine... possibly the most unbiased and respected video games magazine ever said the PSP is the "Sexiest Slab of Gaming Hardware Ever Made" "The PSP is the result of exceptional power meeting exceptional beauty... it isnt just a pretty face" and not forgetting "Why you should drop your DS in a puddle".

And about the battery pack... console items dont tend to be that much cheaper on eBay. Especially as the Battery Packs are brand new and are mostly Buy Now, not up for bidding. At the moment they are about £40 on most online shops... but thats because they're having to be imported from Japan. The PSP Value packs are going for around £250 online at the mo, but will be closer to £150 on release in the UK.

This post has been edited by Inaudible-Whisper: Feb 28 2005, 10:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inverted Reality
post Feb 28 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

"Why you should drop your DS in a puddle".

Hehe, I like that one.

Its settled then, the PSP it is for me. TBH now ive looked into it the battery should not be a problem (except for my camping trips, no doubt it can be charged from the car though), and the DS just dosent appeal to me, the games, design etc and all beaten by the PSP in my eyes.

I saw one review that said there was problems with the disk popping out, but when they demonstrated it you had to twist the unit. Why whould that happen? Surly by the same logic the PSP just stops working........when you hit it repeatedly with a hammer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Inaudible-Whispe...
post Feb 28 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Edge said you can make the PSP Disks fly half-way across a room if you wish. You have to open it a certain way, the same way you can make a floppy fly out of the floppy drive if you press the buttons a certain way. Nevertheless... PSP Disk fights sound like a definite advantage, should you want to risk breakingyour games (Not recommended while not under the influence of alcohol (It eases the pain)).

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 10:38 AM