2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
AT Hotels rip off - the public speaks
garyholc
post Jun 10 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

Just posting some hotel reviews on the Tripadvisor website when I came across these reviews for the Alton Towers hotel - I hope AT are listening because I think some of the views here echo what the general public feel - one guy hits the nail on the head when he said he felt the park was run down.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews...re_England.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aru
post Jun 11 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 62

Are the rooms at the AT Hotel that bad? Ive only stayed in the SL hotel and the room was fine (although quite small).

Some good points made there though, maybe they should be passed over to AT. Guests should be getting better value for money when paying over £200 a night.

+Quote Post
Zippy
post Jun 11 2005, 7:35 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 18

The hotels are amazing, but, for the prices they charge they just arn't amazing enough. There really is no justifying them IMO. I will not stay there again.

As a group of mates you can with alot of effort and choosing the date wisely get the price down, but to stay at this 'family resort' as a couple or dare I say it a family, is just ridiculus.

This post has been edited by Zippy: Jun 11 2005, 7:40 AM

+Quote Post
phi11ip
post Jun 11 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 23

£632 for 2 nights?! You can get a decent skiing holiday for a week for £400 per person!

+Quote Post
Fright Time
post Jun 11 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 709

i love the Alton Hotels, they really add to the Alton experience, well, i am a kid...... wink.gif

--------------------
Next Park- The Towers in July.

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 11 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 870

I am going to Splash Landings hotel tomorrow for one night. I only go to the hotels when there are special offers on - so im paying 99 quid tomorrow for bb and entry to the water park which I consider good value.

I normally stay in the Alton Towers hotel as I have heard the rooms are bigger so i'll let you know what I think of Splash Landings when I get back.

When you break down the cost of a room, the price isnt too bad in comparison if you stayed at a different hotel, for example

£268 for 4 people in a room based on theme and water park booking

4 x £28 theme park entry = £112
4 x £12 water park entry =£48
4 x £10? breakfast = £40
car parking charge = £4

So really the room is costing you £64 - split amongst four is only £16 a night. Compare this to if you stay in say a local hotel and you may end up paying more. However, if just two adults go, then it is very expensive.

One also has to consider the cost of food and drink in the hotel and park. I think Flambo's is charging £18.95 per adult at the moment - personally however I prefer the Secret Garden restaurant.

+Quote Post
codge
post Jun 11 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 193

I've stayed at the hotel several times and its ok but very expensive. Luckily I didn't pay but I feel sorry for those that have to

+Quote Post
Cjw
post Jun 12 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 393

It's definatly expensive. No matter how nice self serve coco pops in the morning are.

+Quote Post
On Air
post Jun 12 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 184

I agree a stay in the hotels really does add to the experience, but to tell the truth I wouldnt bother paying the price again ( sort of been there done it )

Some of those reviews are very true. My sister was amazed they served hot food on cold plates and yes they are very over priced.I stick to the Travelodges now.

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Jun 12 2005, 9:18 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 113

I have a few gripes with the hotels....

1. Some of their room rates don't offer park entrance. How cheap can you get?! Every other resort hotel of the major parks you'll get entrance to the park for the duration of your stay not one day that's costed into your room rate. Terrible.

All rooms should be with theme park entry and for the duration of the stay.

2. Food is far far far too expensive. £19 per head!!! ouch!

3. No where for adults to go to get away from the kids (excluding spa). I'd like somewhere adult only where there are no kids running around and screaming.

4. I have never seen any porters to take my luggage or to show me to my room. Do they exsist at the hotels?

I think the hotels are fantastic, but just simply over priced... but, they are practically full most nights, so they carn't be going wrong too much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sammi
post Jun 12 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 39

No where for adults to go to get away from the kids (excluding spa). I'd like somewhere adult only where there are no kids running around and screaming.

The hotels were obviously designed to be family orientated, as the park is mainly a 'family' type thing.. Would you seriously take someone on a romantic night in the alton towers hotel- I'd certainly prefer to see more effort being made laugh.gif

I have never seen any porters to take my luggage or to show me to my room. Do they exsist at the hotels?

Are you incapable?

I agree a stay in the hotels really does add to the experience, but to tell the truth I wouldnt bother paying the price again ( sort of been there done it)

Agreed- the hotels are generally IMO something you'd do once but never do again, don't think it's that much of a great concept- unless if you live miles away and are deciding to stay over, but saying that a B&B would probably suffice (or if you've got kids etc etc)!

--------------------

"Men are always trying to mentally undress me. I'm just trying to save them some time, that's all." Ally McBeal.

+Quote Post
Cjw
post Jun 12 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 393

I think the hotels could do with a proper entertainment club if the rumours about a 3rd hotel are true. Currently it's very crammed on the ground floor with the secret garden resturant, the bar and entertainment all crammed into a rather small space.

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Jun 12 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Are you incapable?

Way to miss the point.

Firstly, I'm perfectly capable of carrying my own luggage, but the point is all about that the hotels should offer a first class service, and porters taking your luggage to your room would be apart of that first class serive. Its being polite also. You hold doors open for others not because they are incapable, but because its polite.

I worked at a Health Spa for a 6 months as a porter when i was 16/17 and the few minutes that it takes carrying luggage and showing guests to their rooms is invaluable. Guests don't like standing at reception at check in asking lots of questions and being shown to your room, etc is the perfect chance to ask any little worries or problems they have. Not everyone has visited before and is a seasoned visitor.

Would you seriously take someone on a romantic night in the alton towers hotel- I'd certainly prefer to see more effort being made

If that was what my partner and I enjoyed doing, then yes, why the hell not and who is anyone to judge what others enjoy doing?

The hotel is not *all* about families and there should be IMO more for the adults to do in the evening.

This post has been edited by Yeah 7: Jun 12 2005, 11:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gregster
post Jun 12 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: Premium
Member No.: 577

QUOTE (codge @ Jun 11 2005, 06:38 PM)
I've stayed at the hotel several times and its ok but very expensive. Luckily I didn't pay but I feel sorry for those that have to

Why do you feel sorry for those that 'have to pay'?

Surely they have a choice. They either pay and experience the hotel or don't pay and stay somewhere else? Why feel sorry for somebody that has a choice? Don't get it.

Greg

--------------------
Love Pleasure Beach? Join the CLUB - The only official organisation for friends of Pleasure Beach!

CLUB Pleasure Beach

+Quote Post
Sammi
post Jun 12 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Yeah 7 @ Jun 12 2005, 12:12 PM)
Way to miss the point.

Firstly, I'm perfectly capable of carrying my own luggage, but the point is all about that the hotels should offer a first class service, and porters taking your luggage to your room would be apart of that first class serive. Its being polite also. You hold doors open for others not because they are incapable, but because its polite.

If that was what my partner and I enjoyed doing, then yes, why the hell not and who is anyone to judge what others enjoy doing?

In response to that rant, I think somebody needs to get a senseofhumour transplant smile.gif

--------------------

"Men are always trying to mentally undress me. I'm just trying to save them some time, that's all." Ally McBeal.

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Jun 12 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Yes, I'm sorry, your post just oozed humour and was so obvious that it was "lighthearted" and not a pisstake wink.gif*

*wink.gif <--- indicates the humour in my post

--------------------

+Quote Post
tazzy
post Jun 12 2005, 3:01 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 963

Ooooh, girls! Be nice to each other! tongue.gif

tongue.gif <--- also indicates humour

+Quote Post
Luke
post Jun 12 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 75

I have a few gripes with the hotels....

1. Some of their room rates don't offer park entrance. How cheap can you get?! Every other resort hotel of the major parks you'll get entrance to the park for the duration of your stay not one day that's costed into your room rate. Terrible.

All rooms should be with theme park entry and for the duration of the stay.

2. Food is far far far too expensive. £19 per head!!! ouch!

3. No where for adults to go to get away from the kids (excluding spa). I'd like somewhere adult only where there are no kids running around and screaming.

4. I have never seen any porters to take my luggage or to show me to my room. Do they exsist at the hotels?

I think the hotels are fantastic, but just simply over priced... but, they are practically full most nights, so they carn't be going wrong too much.

I agree with you fully that the hotels are over priced, but I think that a few of your points are a little picky........

I'd say that DisneyLand Paris is a 'world class resort'. Well when I stayed (and I cannot remember what the hotel was called) it was absolutely crap. The food was probably as expensive as £19 if not more, and wasn't half as good as that served in Flambo's and the State Room. There was certainly no where for adults to go, to get away from children. There was no evening entertainment (that was away from the park). Or if there was we didn't know about it. We had to take our bags to our rooms, and had to wait about 40 minutes to even get the key to the room. The rooms were no where near as big, and didn't offer the same facilities. There was a lso a lot more walking from hotel to park. And with all of this, my dad says that it was more expensive than the Alton Towers Hotel!!! They didn't have a pool in our hotel either.

Then again, I have only been to one of the DLP' hotels, so that is the only theme park hotel that I can compare the AT ones to. I'm sure that a lot of theme parks elsewhere have better hotels. But, if this is considered as a world class resort, then the ATH must be the best hotel in the world. All I'm saying is that except for the price, the ATH is fantastic. smile.gif

This post has been edited by LLCorkscrew: Jun 12 2005, 5:40 PM

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Jun 12 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

I'll rank the resort hotels i've stayed in...

Hotel Phantasia
Colleseo (Europa park)
Hotel Port Aventura
El Andaluz (Europa park)
Hotel El Paso (Port Aventura's 2nd hotel)
Alton Towers Hotel

Sadly, I've not stayed in either Efteling or any at DLP. On whats available and value for money, ATH seriously lacks in its competition.

Simple things like the bathrooms which are quite basic compared to Hotel Phantasia and Colleseo (which are nearly half the price).

In the evening, Europa park run their Monorail to the park til 12am as the 4D cinema turns into a proper cinema showing the latest films. Surely that is something Alton Towers could look into?

Colleseo at Europa park is my personal favoruite for the most incredible theme, choice of restraunts (2 in Colleseo, 1 still open in the park and a further restraunt in each of the other 2 hotels, plus cafe's still open) mutiple bars including rooftop bars, swimming pools, free use of spa facilities, access to park until 12am, fountin shows on the hour and the buildings are just incredible. clicky and clicky

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPG
post Jun 12 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #20

Şetta Er Allt Öğruvísi
Group Icon

Group: Team Members
Member No.: 65

I for one am glad that ATH offers packages which dont include park entry. Else i'd be screwed given that i've got a Season Pass.

--------------------
RPG was a member here during the decade of 2000 while 2009. May his wonderful 'poasts' live on to inspire future generations.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 3:08 AM