4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Towers Nerd
Locker
post Dec 14 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 860

In the build up to the launching of our brand new website, Towers Nerd have a competition running with a nice selection of prizes to be won. All you have to do is write an article discussing whether you think Alton Towers has lost its magic. You'll find more information here smile.gif

Regards,
Mark

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John
post Dec 14 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 375

I'd love to write that...

...if I wanted those prizes. Throw in a hamper and I'll consider it. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Gem
post Dec 15 2005, 9:24 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 194

Harsh. But honest.

--------------------

They'll never rest until they've spoiled the earth. - Fiver, Watership Down.

+Quote Post
Locker
post Jan 11 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #4

With the new Towers Nerd website set to launch 1st April 2006, I've decided to get feedback and ideas as we approach the final stages of the re-development process. For those of you who have never come across the site, check out www.TowersNerd.com , from there you'll have the immediate option to view our old site which was archived back in October to make way for the new site.

The new site will boast vast improvement upon the original one, with much more content and a new friendlier appearance.

Pretty much everything is all laid out now, and we are currently adding bits here and there every day, gradually building up to the finished article. However, we'd like to hear if there's anything you fellow enthusiasts would like included.

We can't promise anything, but if the ideas are good then we'd love to be able to put them into practise. So basically, is there anything you feel is missing from existing websites?

In the time being, here's a sneak preview of the current site in use, all feedback will be greatly appreciated smile.gif

Format: Windows Media Video File
Length: 0:52
Size: 6.42mb

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Jan 12 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Technical
Member No.: 330

Nothing says flattery like imitation :-). Thanks.

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Locker
post Jan 12 2006, 7:55 AM
Post #6

Hmmmm, what's been "imitated"?

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post Jan 12 2006, 8:45 AM
Post #7

Hopping in puddles since 1984
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (TingTong @ Jan 12 2006, 12:10 AM) *
Nothing says flattery like imitation :-). Thanks.

I knew that would be amongst the first replies. biggrin.gif

I like it, perhaps because it's familiar and comforting and stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Jan 12 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Locker @ Jan 12 2006, 07:55 AM) *
Hmmmm, what's been "imitated"?

Regards,
Mark

Well I think anyone watching the film, then comparing it to some of the features on ATA will understand. But hey, I don't mind copying makes us go back and see how we can further improve ATA for 2006, and we have some great features that I don't THINK you've copied yet.

Tom

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Alex C.
post Jan 12 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 147

I can't see much thats been copied - theres some similarities, but surely any alton towers site is gonna have pretty much the same featureset. Theres very little unique between TTF and ATA (and many other towers sites)...

--------------------
:-)

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Jan 12 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Well I'm not talking content wise. I'm more thinking (and so does the rest of the team) that the way some things are layed out and done (for instance the collapsing of the review form as a petty example) are quite similar..but never mind hey.

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Locker
post Jan 13 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #11

Well, I’ve had this conversation with Dan, and so I’ll pick up on the things he thought we’d “copied” and explain below:

First of all, there are a limited number of ways to go about a news system; apparently you don’t like how similar TN’s is to ATAs. Well, when it was first created the ATA news system was still using popup windows, much like TT does now, so out of the three, TN was the most unique! ATA have obviously found it to be a bad idea and changed the news items to load on their own pages. But again, TT is very similar and again it’s a pretty standard system (title, description, thumbnail).

Secondly, the 360 degree panoramas have never actually been planned to be a feature on the site, they’re simply all there with dead-end links to add a bit of content to the pages to see what they should look like. They will be replaced when the site is launched.

As for the shop menus, I was quite gutted when I first discovered that ATA were adding them, as I’d planned them for a long time. It was only when Dan told me he was noting them all down at the end of the season that I realised. No copying intended there, and it’s a useful thing to have.

As for the review system, I’ve never actually seen the new ATA system for adding reviews, as it’s been taken offline for the last couple of months. All I do know is thatours is all embedded into each page, which is different to ATA, and to be accused of copying a star system – I’m sorry, but that’s just a standard feature of a review system, hardly a unique idea coming from ATA. Just look at Amazon, CNET etc.

Also if you’re thinking an “Information Sheet” is the equivalent of your “Ride Fact file” then nope, it’s in fact just a PDF version of the page.

I really haven’t attempted to copy anything from ATA, and so I’m kind of gutted that some of you feel I’ve done just that.

That aside, lets please go back on topic.

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Jan 13 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #12

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There is some similarities but that's going to be inevitable. The main thing that stood out to me was the layout of the Park Areas page was very similar to an earlier version of ATAs but that's now changed - and there's not really many different ways you can do that sort of page.

At the end of the day the main thing is the content and that's what important.

Best of luck with TN2006 smile.gif

Chris.

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Jan 13 2006, 1:09 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Meh a bit more diplomatic than me wink.gif Nah no hard feelings as Chris has said, lets just let the content do the talking. Competition will make all the Alton Towers sites improve and add new features.

Tom

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
meames
post Jan 13 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11

Nooooo....I am looking into making a PDF version of the pages on my site - if and when I ever get it done - along with a star rating system - might make it 'This ride has 3.5 bits of B&M track' - hmmm, anybody nick that they are dead tongue.gif

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jan 13 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #15

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Locker @ Jan 13 2006, 08:02 AM) *
Well, I’ve had this conversation with Dan, and so I’ll pick up on the things he thought we’d “copied” and explain below:

Ahem, I never said that, I just said there were many similarities between the two. tongue.gif

As I said to you then, I don't think it was intentional so I have no problem with it, even if there are striking similarities.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Jan 13 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,019

In all fairness to towersnerd, wasn't ATA accused of copying a while back also?

http://forums.towersalmanac.com/index.php?showtopic=10614

I would say the same thing applies here... there's only so many ways you can design a website, and it just happens that the way both these sites have a very common style, one that has been popular since the likes of phpNuke etc first came into being. As for content, yep they're both effectively about the same thing, so of course the content is going to be very similar. As for the colour scheme.. well aren't the majority of these colours part of the AT Corporate image anyway ? Aside from the fact it's basically Red, White and Blue, and Blue being probably one of the most frequent used colours on the web.

This post has been edited by Swampster: Jan 13 2006, 7:50 PM

--------------------
Swampster
---------------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Jan 13 2006, 6:57 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Yea funny that...considering I used to work for Semantic.

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Swampster
post Jan 13 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,019

QUOTE (TingTong @ Jan 13 2006, 06:57 PM) *
Yea funny that...considering I used to work for Semantic.

Indeed...
But to quote yourself in that thread...

There are only so many places a menu and link to a text site can go..and the font used is a pretty standard one..

--------------------
Swampster
---------------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Jan 13 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

yea but again that wasn't my issue with Towers Nerd. But never mind ay

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
thekitkatshuffle...
post Jan 13 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #20

Hopping in puddles since 1984
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

In all the bickering nobody seems to have pointed out the striking similarities between TN's and ATA's Charlie and The Chocolate Factory mini-sites. Let's examine them:

* Both incorporate the colour brown heavily. Now I can accept that blue is a commonly used colour on websites but brown is a horrible colour that would never be used other than to try to con visitors into thinking they were on the ATA page.
* Both have the same logo on the front page despite TN's woeful attempts to mask the fact with a "clever" fading effect. rolleyes.gif

-----Rip-off ------------------------------------------------------------- Genuine

* Both have the initials "www" in their web addresses. I suppose TN will claim theirs stands for WonderfulWebsiteWizardry but who are they really fooling?!!!!
* Both have construction updates. I'm sure ATA started this first and TN should really find their own niche and focus on some other aspect such as the new ride's impact on wildlife habitats.
* Both have a link to "Home". Now we all know that "home" is where the heart is and the love that has gone into the original (i.e. not cheap imitation!!) that is ATA, as well as this exclusive graphic indicates that their (i.e. Not Tower Nerd's!!!) home is the source of all heartiness.

I think that's conclusive, but more explosive exposure when I notice it. We're watching you TN... dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 10:29 PM