4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Towers Nerd
Squiggles
post Apr 12 2006, 4:45 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 301

Last night I was browsing through TowersNerd. It's the first time I've had a proper look since it launched and I was interested as to how it compared to TT. As I was looking at the Ride Guide, I came across this description:

TowersNerd Ride Guide
Adventure Land

An ideal place for a family with kids, you will find a kids coaster and interactive play equipment as well as a family spinning coaster.

I thought this was a slightly odd way of describing the area, and yet strangely familiar, then I realised where I'd seen a similar strangely odd description of Adventure Land:

TowersTimes Ride Guide
ADVENTURE LAND >>

An exciting roller coaster for youngsters, interactive play equipment and Spinball Whizzer!

I found this to be a little odd, and carried on reading the ride indices where I came across the following (these are just a few of the numerous examples):

TowersNerd Ride Guide
Katanga Canyon

Visit the African Settlement in the heart of Alton Towers. Get wet with the Rapids or take a ride on the Runaway Mine Train.

TowersTimes Ride Guide
KATANGA CANYON >>

The African settlement built in the middle of Alton Towers. With the Runaway Train and Rapids.

TowersNerd Ride Guide
Forbidden Valley

Home to the UK's most intense rollercoaster - Nemesis! You will also find other great rides such as Air and Ripsaw, not for the faint hearted.

TowersTimes Ride Guide
FORBIDDEN VALLEY >>

Home to the scariest rides in Britain! Including Nemesis, Air and Ripsaw.

TowersNerd Ride Guide
Old MacDonalds Farm

Here you will find a small farm for young children. You can also have some great fun in the Ribena Berry Bish Bash.

TowersTimes Ride Guide
OLD MACDONALD'S FARM >>

A small farm for young children, including the Ribena Berry Bish Bash.

By the time I'd finished reading the Ride Index I was a little bemused, but I pressed on and had a look at some of the area pages. Here's a quote from the Cred Street page (I've highlighted, just for fun):

TowersNerd Ride Guide
Cred Street is a magical part of Alton Towers designed for young children and families. You can join Willy Wonka on an amazing tour of his factory, keep the little ones entertained with a selection of kiddie rides or sit down in the classy Cafe Espresso for some refreshments.

It was originally called Talbot Street and used to host the finest collection of antique dolls and toys in the UK. This was accompanied by an extensive vintage motor museum where many of the words most classic cars were on display. It has also hosted a range of Thunderbird puppets and in the eighties it held a giant snakes and ladder board used in the children's TV program "Hold Tight". It's main rides included Around the world in 80 days and the octopus ride.

The area was renamed to the land of make believe in 1993 which was home of the Big Apple Mini Rollercoaster and the Cadburys chocolate house. A magic show was also introduced and performed in the theatre. A year after this Around the world in 80 days was refurbished into Toyland Tours - a giant toy factory with friendly animatronics working to a playful sound track.

In 1997 the area was given the name Cred Street and the new short-lived attraction Nickelodeon: Outta Control was introduced. It was then in 2000 that Barney was given a two year contract to perform in the theatre which gave the area a boost in popularity. The Tweenies then took over in 2002 and served up until the 2005 season. The 2005 season also saw many more changes, the re-opening of the Cred Street Carousel and the Vintage Car ride boosted popularity, as did the addition of the Bouncing Bugs (Formally known as the UG-Bugs) replacing the Cadburys Chocolate house. As well as all this, the Nickelodeon: Outta control building was given a new colour scheme - bright pink!

TowersTimes Ride Guide
Cred Street is a magical land for young children, with a host of exciting entertainment.

The original name for Cred Street was Talbot Street and used to be home to such rides like the Octopus and Around the World in 80 days. In 1993 the area was changed to Land Of Make Believe and now played host to the Mini Apple Rollercoaster, Cadburys Chocolate House and a magic show in the theatre. A year later in 1994 Around the World in 80 Days was re-themed to Toyland Tours.

1997 saw the area change to Cred St with the short lived Nickelodeon - outta control attraction. Then in 2000 Cred St became home to the legendary Barney the dinosaur until the Tweenies took over two years later. In 2004 an old attraction returned to Cred St, Gallopers Carousel, and now Cred Street is lined with bright and colourful buildings. A buzzing and exciting atmosphere is almost guaranteed, with attention to detail on all the magical scenery.

2005 saw yet more changes to Cred St with the re-opening of The Cred St Carousel and Vintage Car Ride, plus the removal of the Cadburys Chocolate house and replaced with the Bouncing Bugs which were previously the Ug bugs in Ug land. The old Nickelodeon building has yet another new colour scheme, bright pink! Which now adds even more colour to this lively area.

Just in case you are wondering, that bit in bold is an incorrect piece of information, as Barney had a three year contract.

The above examples aren't the only one's I found.

One thing was still intriguing me a little, the following section of text on the Cred Street Page:

TowersNerd Ride Guide

It was originally called Talbot Street and used to host the finest collection of antique dolls and toys in the UK. This was accompanied by an extensive vintage motor museum where many of the words most classic cars were on display. It has also hosted a range of Thunderbird puppets and in the eighties it held a giant snakes and ladder board used in the children's TV program "Hold Tight".

I was sure it looked familiar, but couldn't quite put my finger on why, until:

TowersAlmanac Ride Guide

In the early days, the area was used as an exhibition centre, and contained the biggest collection of dolls in the United Kingdom, along with a Motor Museum. It was also host to an exhibition of the Thunderbirds puppets. At one point in the eighties, it was also known as the location of the giant Snakes & Ladders board used in the childrens television programme 'Hold Tight '.

Still quite intrigued, I had a look at the FV page and noticed another strangely familiar paragraph:

TowersNerd Ride Guide
The coaster was originally advertised as being placed in AquaLand but due to lack of access to its planned location this idea was aborted. In 1992, when Aqua land was split into the Merrie England, Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood we see today, Thunder Looper earned itself its very own area of the park, a brand new section - Thunder Valley. A new footpath was laid which ran through Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood which allowed easy access to the newly formed area.

TowersAlmanac Ride Guide
Although advertised as being part of the AquaLand line-up, the ride was not accessible on foot, unless you fancied a long, tiring walk through the gardens. The only way was via the cable car system that ran from the bottom of Towers Street, or Festival Park.

When AquaLand was split into Merrie, Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood in 1992, Thunder Looper got pride of place in a brand new themed area called Thunde Valley, complete with a new footpath that ran through Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood.

Needless to say, I'm more then a little intrigued by what I found as I had a brief look through the Towers Nerd Park Tour (and I didn't even get onto looking at the ride pages).

This post has been edited by Squiggles: Apr 12 2006, 6:14 PM

--------------------
Theme Park Timeline now featuring the rides of The Towers Complex
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Locker
post Apr 12 2006, 6:41 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 860

My reply from TTF:

Hmmm, I'm really not sure what everyone's going on about. I could of done without this but here it goes.

I'd say around 60% of the content online today was copied right from the old Towers Nerd site, which was basically all re-written and added to. I find it quite unbelievable that you’re comparing the likes of:

QUOTE ("TowersNerd.com")
Home to the UK's most intense rollercoaster - Nemesis! You will also find other great rides such as Air and Ripsaw, not for the faint hearted.

And…
QUOTE ("TowersTimes.co.uk")
Home to the scariest rides in Britain! Including Nemesis, Air and Ripsaw.

I'm not sure quite how else I could have written something like that :?

Anyway, moving on from the tour main page and onto Cred Street, again it's a description of the same area, it's impossible for it to be totally different. Looking at the lines you highlighted in pink (regarding changes in 2005), I remember writing that from scratch as clear as anything, as the information copied over from the old TN didn't stretch that far.

During research for the site I obviously looked at TT, ATA, ATD, CF, RCDB + lots of other internet sites, hence the false information match, which again will have been copied over from the old TN and not properly revised.

Not sure what else I can say really, none of it has been copied, everything was written from scratch, after researching as much info from other sites yes, but everything was written from scratch.

I would go and search for similarities between ATA, TT, ATM and ATD but really it's a bit petty and time consuming. I'm sure you'll all have your fun on here and by adding me to group conversations in MSN, but at the end of the day if you don't like TN you can just avoid visiting.

For the people with nice comments, I thank you tongue.gif laugh.gif

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Apr 12 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #43

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

To be honest I think this is a bit daft - there's bound to be similarities in the text for the various website park guides as they all happen to be describing the same park!! Some of the things you're trying to compare up there are barely even similar to each other?

This is nowhere near the level of content copying we see on a lot of sites where photos and text have simply been copied across word for word.

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Apr 12 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #44

Group Icon

Group: Technical
Member No.: 330

As much as I think all the team apreciate people caring enough to defend the site, I think perhaps in this case it's a little unfounded. Obviously our policy of not allowing un credited content still stands but I don't beleive that that policy has been breached here.

Tom

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Locker
post Apr 18 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #45

Well, I've taken on board what Squiggles has said and to stop anyone trying to say that content is copied I've re-written every single area page to include much more information than was previously available. More information about the update:

The site has been quite heavily updated today, find out what's new here.

A major content update has taken place today. Every area page has been totally re-written to include an in-depth look at the areas history. Some of our area pages are now unrivalled with detail, a fine example being the Towers Street page which now includes a complete history of the area and how it came about.

We have also added some extras to our History page and you can now download 2 jingles, a radio advert and promotional video from 1988. With our final update we have added an off-ride video of the Mini Apple Rollercoaster to its retired ride page. You can view it by clicking here. Enjoy!

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
gronji2004
post Apr 18 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #46

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 606

Well I think its an excellent site Mark well done. Its getting better than most fan sites around, and its better than TT in my opininon. Its a great site and keep it up!

--------------------

Join Now For Extra Ride Time - http://www.flamingolandcrazy.co.uk/forum
Any Questions? - gronji@flamingolandcrazy.co.uk

+Quote Post
Locker
post Apr 22 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #47

Today I am pleased to announce the opening of the Towers Nerd Shop. You can visit by clicking here smile.gif

You can see some larger images of some of the products available below:

Front of Logo T-Shirt
Back of Logo T-Shirt
Front of Enthusiast T-Shirt
Back of Enthusiast T-Shirt
Enthusiast Mug

Comments welcome smile.gif

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Apr 22 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

I think you should be closing your shop imediately until you have an SSL certificate for that section of your site.

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Locker
post Apr 22 2006, 4:39 PM
Post #49

I don't think that's necessary. You only provide the kind of details you would if you were to fill out a contact form, or that you enter into the WHOIS database when buying a domain, and they don't need SSL. The payment is done over an encrypted server, that's the main thing smile.gif

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Apr 22 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

You still wouldn't catch me entering that sort of data on an unsecure server. Up to you tho.

Tom

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Locker
post Apr 22 2006, 6:06 PM
Post #51

A good example is this which has no SSL cert assigned to it.

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Apr 22 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #52

Senior Editor
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'd agree with Mark, there's no major issues with taking address details over an open connection - the card details are taken over a secure connection.

Just a few bits of constructive criticism...
  • Your tab order could be better, once you've completed the First Name field the Tab key takes you onto the 'contact us' link, rather than straight onto Last Name.
  • I'm assuming the fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory information? There's nothing to explain this and although it's fairly standard it does sometimes indicate optional information, and if your webform happens to be the first a new internet user has ever filled in then it might not be clear.
  • You are requesting a telephone number as mandatory information, this is the thing buyers are least likely to be happy about giving out - it's a good idea to mention why you need it, I have no problem with you taking it as long as it's for a good reason. Also you should mention somewhere that address/e-mail/phone numbers will not be passed on / sold to a third party.
  • You're going to the trouble of taking all these details when PayPal could do it for you, so you must have a good reason too which is fine, but pass the details on to PayPal! It's very easy to do (see the integrating payments PDF on the PayPal site) and saves buyers without a PayPal account having to type their address in again and smooths out the checkout process.

+Quote Post
Tom C
post Apr 23 2006, 9:31 PM
Post #53

Group Icon

No I disagree with you, it's always good practice to use an SSL certificate for more than anything user's confidence.

--------------------
ATA Team Member

+Quote Post
Locker
post Apr 23 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #54

Fair enough, but at the end of the day, for a non-profit fan site which costs me an awful lot to keep online, investing in an SSL cert is not something I'd be willing to do. With sites like Alton Towers not using them for the same information, I don't see an urgent need to. Thanks for the suggestion though smile.gif

Regards,
Mark

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post Jan 19 2007, 1:47 PM
Post #55

You can now receive Towers Nerd News Alerts direct to your mobile, keeping up to date with all of the latest Alton Towers news - as it happens. Simply text TNALERTS to 89892. Each alert costs 25p and all proceeds go to the development and upkeep of the site smile.gif

We will never send out over 8 news alerts within a single month, so you can be sure that the service will never cost more than £2 a month.

You can end your subscription at any time by texting STOP TNALERTS to 89892.

Regards,
Mark

This post has been edited by Locker: Jan 19 2007, 7:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Locker
post Jan 9 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #56

The brand new Towers Nerd web site launched on new years day and now has a totally new look and a host of new features.

You can check it out at TowersNerd.com.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
marcus
post Jan 9 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 7,708

Cool website! Looking good to me. biggrin.gif I likes it very muchly.

--------------------
Fear is not knowing......Terror is finding out!

+Quote Post
Locker
post Mar 13 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #58

Thanks marcus smile.gif

For those interested, we'll be providing live coverage from the opening day of the 2008 season. The news item below, taken from our site, explains this:

QUOTE ("TowersNerd.com")
Towers Nerd Live delivers live coverage direct from Alton Towers. It's a service which we've worked very hard on to get right, and last month we trialed it during the park's Half Term Hullabaloo event. We're pleased to report that everything went as planned, and we received lots of positive feedback which we're very grateful for.

Following on from the fantastic response we received, we've further developed the system to be more efficient and offer us greater flexibility.

We're very pleased to be able to provide coverage from the park's open day on 15th March 2008. The highlight will of course be the opening of the park's brand new pirate themed area - Mutiny Bay, which our coverage will be focused on.

To tune into the updates, simply visit the Towers Nerd Live page - here. The page will automatically refresh every 30 seconds, delivering text and image updates directly from the park. We estimate that coverage will begin at approximately 8:30am - 9:00am.

Once again we'll be open to feedback, so please don't hesitate to get in touch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tiger2000
post Mar 15 2008, 1:16 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 280

Great site.

Just looking at the photo taken inside the new Burger King restraunt in Cred Street. Oh dear, what happened to the themeing?, it just looks like any of the large bland Burger Bars that you get in most city centres and shopping malls. Very dissapointing. I know people don't go to theme parks to sit in restraunts all day but it should be part of the experience and not just like a trip your local Hight Street.

+Quote Post
eddieh
post May 3 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 12,851

Sorry to bump a old thread. Has this website gone down recently?

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 2:38 AM