Reply to this topicStart new topic
How Busy?, Alton Towers 2009 Guide
Yeah 7
post Apr 5 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 113

You want to know how busy a specific day will be at Alton Towers? This is a guide only and is by no means definitive. Below is a series of information to help you answer your own question.

Please before asking any questions in this topic, help yourself first by clicking on the relevant links and then read the relevant dates below. If the date you want to visit the park falls into any dates below, it is likely to be busy. How busy can vary on sporting events, weather, offers, events, etc, etc.

Key Dates for School Holidays

Please note - school holidays vary from area to area and some schools may be on holiday outside those dates and could vary a week either side of these dates.

Easter - Saturday 4th April - Sunday 19th April
May Day - Monday 4th May
May Half Term - Saturday 23rd May to Sunday 31st May
Summer Holidays - Saturday 11th July to Monday 25th August/ Monday 31st August
October Half Term - Saturday 17th October to Sunday 25th October

Bank Holidays

Good Friday - Friday 10th April
Easter Monday - Monday 13th April
Early May Bank Holiday - Monday 4th May
Spring Bank Holiday Monday 25th May
Summer Bank Holiday - Monday 31th August

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D4n
post Apr 30 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #2

Formerly 'AirRules'

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,249

May Day is down as a Quiet Day on ATA's How Busy guide, is this strictly true? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Apr 30 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

No one can ever really tell, but historically, bank holidays themslves are fairly quiet and I would expect the weekend prior to be busier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Babylon
post Jun 18 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25

Hey all,

Been awhile since I posted here so hello to you all smile.gif

I haven't been to Alton Towers since 2005, so I think it's about time I went for another trip there. I'm currently thinking of going from the 21st to 26th of September, but before booking anything I was hoping to get a rough idea for how busy Alton Towers is around that time of the year. I like going during the offpeak season, and usually aim to hit some of the quietest times in the year. The first week of October is great for that, but I'm unable to get time off then. While some like the buzz, I prefer having little queuing and as much time to get on the rides as possible.

Any thoughts? Is the 21st onward usually pretty quiet, or are universities still off and holiday makers still around, even if in lesser numbers?

--------------------
Last Alton Towers Visit: September 20th - September 25th, 2009

+Quote Post
chapmanmania
post Jun 18 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,800

The park is usually fairly quiet since kids have gone back to school. Last year was surprisingly busier, despite a fairly wet, weekday. Most were students though. Students go back around the last week in September. I'd say it should be relatively quiet though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Babylon
post Jun 18 2009, 9:26 PM
Post #6

How busy would we be talking? 1 hour queuing times, or quite a bit less than this? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
chapmanmania
post Jun 18 2009, 9:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,800

Sorry, should have really said busier than we expected. Just dug this out from the trip report. It was the 10th September last year, so it should get even quieter later in the month.

^ Nemesis about 20mins. It was from just above the steps before the fast track entrance.
Rita about 15mins or so. The first time was incredibly short from just a little further back from where the SRQ starts. The second ride in the afternoon, the queue stretched back to whereabouts the fast track entrance is.
Oblivion about 15mins.
Air was only running one station and had a queue time of about 10mins or so at the end of the day. Earlier it advertised a 20minute queue but it was out of the queue entrance; although obviously the extra queue line had been closed off so it wasn't really that bad.

I don't wear a watch anymore but don't generally keep a check on the time that often throughout the day so all of those times are more or less guesses. Although none of the queues were that long at all and all the rides were loading really quickly. It's not generally something I care about unless I'm stood there for ages anyway. I love visiting at this time of year though, it's just so quiet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
garyholc
post Jun 18 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 870

I often go in September, after the 1st week when the schools are in and its a pleasant time to go. Not much in the way of queues or annoying little school kids running around if you go in the week. Weekends obviously busier but yeah, September is good smile.gif

+Quote Post
Babylon
post Jun 19 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #9

Awesome, thanks for the help and review for that time of year, guys! Seems I might go this year after all, was seriously considering deferring to next year so I could go the first week of October smile.gif

This post has been edited by Babylon: Jun 19 2009, 12:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Miles Hi
post Aug 24 2009, 1:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,458

Hi, this is my first post here.

Iīm going for the first time to AT from the bank holiday on monday 31st of august to wednesday 2nd.
what will the attendance and/or queues be like these days?
which will be the best day and time to go the water park?
should I book Flamboīs buffet in advance? (we stay at the Splash Landings)

I was thinking about getting an ultimate fastrack for the first day (as itīs a bank holiday) because I donīt want to lose lots of time in queues. We are from spain and we probably canīt come back for a long long time (I only have 10 days off work a year), so we want to enjoy as much as posible. What do you think?

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Aug 25 2009, 6:27 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 348

Welcome to Alton Towers Almanac Forums smile.gif!

Unfortunately, as you suspect you seem to have picked probably some of the busiest days there is likely to be over the summer. However, with 3 days you really shouldn't have a problem fitting it all in. I'd recommend just buying Fastrack Solo's as necessary over the course of your stay, that way there's no pressure to get it all done in one day. You'll probably find that you wont need too many anyway.

You seem to be a little stressed about it all, my best advice is that you relax now and take it all as it comes. There's not much to be gained by buying Fastrack tickets in advance at any rate - they're the same price on the day, available all over the park (including, I think, both Hotel desks) and I've never known them to stop selling them as they often imply they might. Alton Towers is a fantastic place and I'm sure you'll have a great time, but I know from experience that it detracts being fixated on the details.

Although I've never actually stayed in the Hotels, I'm sure there's no need to worry about reserving a table before you check in. I'm not sure if you know, but you also have access to the Secret Garden Restaurant in the Alton Towers Hotel, the two buildings are linked by a corridor so you can move between the two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Miles Hi
post Aug 25 2009, 7:21 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,458

Thanks a lot WilllPS!!

Thatīs what Iīll do, just see how it goes and then decide about the fastrack

smile.gif

+Quote Post
bennyboy-95
post Sep 17 2009, 4:24 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,245

Hi guys. Haven't been on the forums in agessss. I was just wondering, how busy will the park be on Halloween, as in the date, the 31st. I know it's a terrible day to go but it's with school you see. On the holidays above it says schools are back on the 25th of October? My school goes back on the 3rd November I think :S Thanks for anyone with a reply wink.gif

+Quote Post
Yeah 7
post Sep 17 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Very busy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PFC1981
post Sep 21 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 14,503

Aren't most schools in the UK on half term this October between the 24th and 1st of Nov?

I notice your dates are down as the 17th-25th?

I could be wrong though but it seems most of the areas that I have checked are off between the 24th and 1st?

Confused unsure.gif

+Quote Post
bevvy
post Sep 24 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 14,506

QUOTE (PFC1981 @ Sep 21 2009, 12:56 PM) *
Aren't most schools in the UK on half term this October between the 24th and 1st of Nov?

I notice your dates are down as the 17th-25th?

I could be wrong though but it seems most of the areas that I have checked are off between the 24th and 1st?

Confused unsure.gif

Most of the Scottish Holidays are 10th-25th but I know some other regions (Scotland) are 3rd- 18th.

+Quote Post
KatieAlmighty
post Oct 1 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 14,269

Off on the 26th with a few friends, expecting it to be a little busy, hoping it wont be that bad though, cant wait, will get plenty of photos, but how busy do you guys think it'll be?

+Quote Post
adamhhh
post Oct 17 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 14,538

how busy do u guys reckon it will be next friday/saturday??

+Quote Post
Phoenix
post Oct 17 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 14,539

QUOTE (adamhhh @ Oct 17 2009, 8:42 PM) *
how busy do u guys reckon it will be next friday/saturday??

I just went on Thursday.. was very quite.. did not que for anything.. (but was raining).
Also went on the Friday.. was busier.. with ques of around 15mins on Rita and air... and nothing on nemesis and oblivion :]
(Think it's half term next week though?)

This post has been edited by Phoenix: Oct 17 2009, 11:09 PM

+Quote Post
philmyer92
post Apr 14 2010, 9:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,810

Currently planning 2 trips the first will be 30th June to 1st July. my first thoughts were that it wouldn't be very busy at all because schools were not on holiday and it's not a weekend. But then i thought that it's towards the end of the school year so there might be alot of school trips? So i have no idea how busy it could be! Anybody have more of an idea than me? Thanks in advance

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 8:37 PM