Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Earliest Memory, of Alton Towers Visits.
meames
post Feb 10 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Early memories {looks up at the sky in a dodgy 80's style hazy sort of vision}:

Begging my dad to take me on the Mississippi Show Boat only to get about 3 foot in and a floor moved or something and scared me - we had to turn around and come out (I did scare a poor young lass though when she wasn't expecting me to be running the wrong way!)

Sitting near to where the paddle boats used to be to watch Henry Hound's parade

Riding the 4 Man Bob - the first coaster I went on at AT other than the mini apple

Riding the mini apple over and over again cos it was really quiet and the ride op was really good fun - telling jokes and generally having a good time!

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wez
post Feb 12 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 33

My first visit was in '93. All I remember was the Astro Dancer, and the ride next to it (both the rides were on portable metal flooring??) I also recall Nemmy Posters everywhere and old mcdonald tractor ride. Ive still got a pic of me (7) and mum next to the barnyard... smile.gif

+Quote Post
WillPS
post Feb 14 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 348

Next to Astro Dancer was Pirate Ship I believe?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wez
post Feb 14 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 33

Quite possibly.....I cant remember for the life of me!!

+Quote Post
Nemesis
post Feb 17 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 300

First visit around 1992 (aged 4)
Memories include: Not being allowed to go on Runaway Mine Train or Black Hole. Going on rapids, not liking it. Going on Haunted House - scared the hell out of me! Favourite ride - Around the world in 80 days, famous comment "Thank goodness we didn't go to Yugoslavia" (there was a war there at the time - according to my Mum!) and probably some I've forgotten to mention.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jake_*
post Feb 17 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #26

Guests

Mine was in 1998 and i can remember going to Nemesis with no queue so my mum said lets go on this. I can remember looking at photos on the net and on the map but seeing it for the first time scasred the hell out of me. Now i go it all the time. My record was 8 times in 30mins.

+Quote Post
doom+sons1988
post Jul 6 2004, 8:25 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 506

Earliest memory of Alton Towers had to be Doom + Sons, Haunted house and Around the world in 80 days. I can only remember the dark rides i went on because I never been on a dark ride until that day.

--------------------
ATA Dark Ride Fanatic

+Quote Post
William
post Jul 6 2004, 2:20 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 43

Earliest memory was probably in 1996, when I first went and I was 8

I remember:

-riding Corkscrew, the first ride that took me upside down! I was too scared to open my eyes the first time, but I went on it a second and third time with my eyes open

-riding the RMT and being very impressed with myself because I did it no-handed! biggrin.gif

-being scared of the Log Flume when I rode it... my dad looks quite scared too by the looks of this old onride photo!

-being bored and trying to crash into other cars on Squirrel Nutty... can't -remember if I succeeded or not...

-It was a very busy day in the middle of the summer holidays!

+Quote Post
Dana
post Oct 2 2004, 3:03 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 587

October 1987 when I went on a school trip. I remember going on Corkscrew and the mouse and Beast. I remember that my class mates were surprised with me as I was the quiet one in the class but there I was persuading the others to go on the rides with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
madmanwill
post Oct 7 2004, 8:18 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 594

QUOTE (altontowersmadman @ Jan 21 2004, 10:50 PM)
i remember looking at nemisis and thunder looper and say im goin on the when im older
only to be disapointed next time i went to find thunderlooper gone

same here only thunderlooper though :'(
QUOTE (cookie munster)
QUOTE(Prepare 4 Air @ Jan 25 2004, 02:57 AM)
My earliest memory was probably when i was about 3, and was too scared to go on Around the World in 80 Days lol. I remember one of the ride ops, coming out to try and convince me to go on lol.

you can actually remember that when you was three??? wow, i'd love to remember Disney World when i went wen i was three... alas, that was quite some time ago...

i have heard of this in my psychology classes
basicly a person thinks they can remember a certain event when they where very young but the source of the memory usualy (not always) sources back to when they have been told of the event by someone (mum,dad etc)or have seen pictures
my thoughts on this is that as he was three he most probably remembered it as alton towers has such a emotional balue to it from the very beginning you remember the most emotional parts of the day.

my earliest memory of alton towers are

when i was six (think it was its first year) and going on nemisis because i was tall for my age and being really scared of it but just has to go around the que line again because i loved it so much. and it got me out of going in the haunted house tongue.gif (bloody thing really scared me)
my next one has to be seeing oblivion for the first time cool.gif i was really scared and like the people above my dad forced my whilst i was crying :'( and then closing my eyes but opening them half way down biggrin.gif

there we go thats my 1830 letter essay written tongue.gif

will

This post has been edited by madmanwill: Oct 7 2004, 8:19 AM

+Quote Post
don't look down
post Oct 13 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 499

1994, opening day went strait to oblivion, and qed for about 2 hours eventuly got on the ride, started slowly climbing the lift hill, round the top chain, top of drop holding secton 'DON'T LOOK DOWN', sat there, nouthing happend, waited still nouthing ended up sitting there for 35mins when the stasion staff got called to retern and without waring we plumted into the mist happy.gif , what did we get for our 1/2 hour stuck there??a free bottle of water rolleyes.gif ,my fist ride at my first visit to alton towers, GREAT

--------------------
manchester phoenix
alton towers
bougth great
don't forget to look DOWNNNNNNNNNNN

+Quote Post
Nemesis
post Oct 13 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 300

QUOTE (don't look down @ Oct 13 2004, 09:52 PM)
1994, opening day went straight to oblivion

Of course...

This post has been edited by Nemesis: Oct 13 2004, 9:25 PM

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 13 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 602

My first visit to Alton Towers was in 1996, when Thunder looper was still in Europe. However my memories are still kind of vague. I was 7 years old and only just tall enough to ride Corkscrew, this was my first inversion. I remember getting very worked up in the queueline, I was half excited but half nervous, I remember getting off of it and really enjoying it.
I also vaguely remember Nemesis, I remember walking down into the bit that is now the fastrack entrance, with all the theming in full working conditions. It looked superb.
And my favourite memory was being very impressed with the water squirting frogs on the entrance street, I forget its name at the moment, Now that was an awesome experience there, I enjoyed watching them so much.

This post has been edited by Scott: Oct 13 2004, 10:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark9
post Oct 14 2004, 9:22 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 281

My earliest memory was walking all the way from Towers street to Forbidden Valley. Than of course it was riding Nemesis, front row on the far right. Beautifully sunny, and then during the final inversion having my head wacking into the restraint. This was back in June. happy.gif

--------------------

I find your lack of Christmas spirit disturbing.
In memory of Ross Power- March 29th 1990 - February 4th 2006

+Quote Post
hodgeheg
post Oct 19 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

Member No.: 57

QUOTE (Kondor @ Jan 21 2004, 03:14 AM)
back in 1980

Thank you for not making me feel old, like the rest of the whippersnappers here... smile.gif

--------------------
Why am I sat here, watching yet another load of repair logs scroll up in front of me? Oh yes, I remember, I work with computers. Computers suck, hardware sucks, software sucks, as do lusers. I hate computers, I hate my job. I want to go to Scotland and have a goat farm, yes, a goat farm. Goats have their attractions you know, they are better behaved than either managers or users, and tend to smell slightly better than the latter.

Many years after the accident, the legacy of Chernobyl still blights young lives, many of them in Belarus. Read about how we are helping the victims at http://www.ccp-westpennine.org.uk/

Grid computing - harnessing your spare processor time for good causes. Join Team Broccoli!

+Quote Post
EllisB
post Oct 26 2004, 1:33 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 611

My earliest memory, and I have a photo of this, is riding the Donkeys that used o work just outside the Ingestre Stables!!!

I also remember when we parked where the Towers Street Monorail station is, and you just walked through the treeline that the Grand Entrance now sits within!

Also, after the rides closed, my family always went for a stroll around the Gardens, and I used to try to find the Pagoda Fountain (shows how differently we perceive things as kids). The area around that fountain always used to scare me - the fountain was huge, and the treeline around it made the area darker!

After that - prior to Towers Street - we used to pile into the souvenir and toy shops in the Ingestre Stables for last minute momentos!

+Quote Post
Eman6
post Dec 2 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 648

OMG that guys called ellis, that my name, dont kno many others with that lol

Nice one bredwins

Eman

--------------------
This is my land, your just livin' in it....yours sincerely Eman

+Quote Post
phi11ip
post Dec 9 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (don't look down @ Oct 13 2004, 08:52 PM)
1994, opening day went strait to oblivion, and qed for about 2 hours eventuly got on the ride, started slowly climbing the lift hill, round the top chain, top of drop holding secton 'DON'T LOOK DOWN', sat there, nouthing happend, waited still nouthing ended up sitting there for 35mins when the stasion staff got called to retern and without waring we plumted into the mist happy.gif , what did we get for our 1/2 hour stuck there??a free bottle of water rolleyes.gif ,my fist ride at my first visit to alton towers, GREAT

*sniffs*

What's that smell...

Anyway, I can't remember the year I went there, but I can remember going up the Alton Mouse thingy and there was some spinny ride to the right of it...

Plus I can remember some sort of big old school fanfare type thingy. One of those big wooden all in one orchestra type things. I can't remember when it was but it was a long time back...

+Quote Post
smods
post Dec 9 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #39

Group Icon

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (phi11ip @ Dec 9 2004, 01:40 PM)
*sniffs*

What's that smell...

I don't know but I can smell it too mellow.gif