34 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Haunted House, Bring it back
haunted one
post Jan 14 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 711

Am I the only one who feels that Alton Towers made a big mistake making The Haunted house into Duel, although Duel is Okay the Haunted House as lost its eerieness and charm by introducing the game element. I spend most of my time trying to hit the targets rather than paying any attention to whats going off during the ride. The enterence to the ride has lost its appeal with its poor replacement portraits (does anybody know who painted the originals or have pictures of them). Come on Alton Towers this ride deserves a little respect.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John
post Jan 14 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 375

One word, my friend - popularity.

+Quote Post
meames
post Jan 14 2005, 4:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11

I never really liked it either way - bring on something like Disney's haunted house - thats how it should be done biggrin.gif

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
cosmosis
post Jan 14 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 574

QUOTE (John @ Jan 14 2005, 05:51 PM)
One word, my friend - popularity.

Yes , I agree, I asked my friends wether they want to go on duel, i explained to them it was a haunted house ride and they weren't interested. But when I add the element of Laser guns they were straight in the queue. happy.gif

I think duel should be kept but another dark ride should be added, a ride like valhalla perhaps? But not viking themeing..

+Quote Post
The Seagull
post Jan 14 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 123

QUOTE (meames @ Jan 14 2005, 04:56 PM)
I never really liked it either way - bring on something like Disney's haunted house - thats how it should be done  biggrin.gif

I hope you're not talking about The Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom, that was absolute crap! Really dated and the fact that whereever you are you can see lots of other cars makes it much less scary.

--------------------
If you look at a pebble... ...you will see you're own face

+Quote Post
Andys Page
post Jan 14 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9

yes i dont think they should of changed it but it was getting old and no one was riding any way Duel was thereexcuse to increase the price for park entrance that year!!!! huh.gif

+Quote Post
John
post Jan 14 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (The Seagull @ Jan 14 2005, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (meames @ Jan 14 2005, 04:56 PM)
I never really liked it either way - bring on something like Disney's haunted house - thats how it should be done biggrin.gif

I hope you're not talking about The Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom, that was absolute crap! Really dated and the fact that whereever you are you can see lots of other cars makes it much less scary.

It's a classic of our time. It's not scary as such, but the attention to detail and whimsy of that ride is fantastic.

+Quote Post
meames
post Jan 15 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 11

No, I was thinking more of Euro Disney, the only other Disney one I have been on is Orlando, and I can't remember much of that.

--------------------

-I was God Once
-Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everybody died

+Quote Post
haunted one
post Jan 15 2005, 8:28 AM
Post #9

I understand that the ride was not working to its capacity and was looking alittle tiered but changing it from a haunted house into a game sort of made it a little less scarey if the haunted house was ever scary the ride isn't dark enough inside and you can see whats going off in the background. I think alton towers got in a panic about what to do with it and made a snap dicission about the change. Duel should have been a seperate ride. The walk through section never really got a revamp either just the eerie pictures disapeared and really tacky replacements were added. Even this area became lighter. and the anamatronics never work. I think the ride itself should have an overhaul with scarier section added to the ride itself maybe intergrating the terror of the towers, with real people. put duel some where else!

+Quote Post
Nemesis
post Jan 15 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 300

I like Duel better. Gives you something to do rather than just sitting there being annoyed, and considerably improves the re-ride factor. Plus you can take the p... micky out of people who do badly for comedy value tongue.gif

+Quote Post
[spook]
post Jan 15 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: ATA Supporters
Member No.: 636

I think duel was an exellent idea. Really gave you a reason to stop in gloomy wood. Although I do agree to the fact that it is no longer scary, but I dont think you can change that.

Before it gave you a feeling you were trapped and had nothing to defend yourself with, thats the only fear element it had. But now that you have a weapon with you, its just has no element of fear.

So If you want to experience the ride, and be scared, just dont pick up the gun, mabey that will bring back some memories of the old ride?

--------------------
Have Another Drink And Drive Yourself Home || I Hope There's Ice On All The Roads || You Can Think Of Me When You Forget Your Seat belt || And Again When Your Head Goes Through The Windshield

+Quote Post
aru
post Jan 15 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 62

So If you want to experience the ride, and be scared, just dont pick up the gun, mabey that will bring back some memories of the old ride?

And make you realise how botched up Duel is? wink.gif

+Quote Post
haunted one
post Jan 16 2005, 3:59 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (aru @ Jan 15 2005, 08:46 PM)

And make you realise how botched up Duel is? wink.gif

Exactly my point the ride is a botched up job, bring back the traditional ride. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
doom+sons1988
post Jan 17 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 506

I don't like Duel for many reasons:-

1) It's just a prime example of Tussauds copying past success (Tomb Blaster CWOA)

2) They didn't change or improve effects at all.

3)The storyline is just cheesy beyond belief.

4) There is still large spaces in the ride and all they've done is added LEDS.

But the ride conversion has got more people into the ride and the inside soundtrack (though not as scary as Elfman esque orignals) is a classic Alton Score.

I think in a few years Gloomy Wood would become center of major re-devolpment and maybe a new haunted attraction may come out of it.

--------------------
ATA Dark Ride Fanatic

+Quote Post
Kondor
post Jan 17 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 332

I say duel wins out everytime against its previous life.

The reason is that as you said you are in total shoot the targets mode. Now it is for this reason that I have, on a few occasions, jumped out of my skin as Ive been concentrating on shooting and a nice model has jumped out at me and caught me out.

When it was in its previous life, it never made me jump once.

--------------------
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

+Quote Post
matt6580
post Jan 18 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 470

the ride is a botched up job

well said. its an absolute mess. the guns dont work, the scorerss dont work, the stupid little lights you have to shoot are almost impossible to hit, and more to the point, its not even fun. quite frankly ive had more fun at a funeral. at least the old haunted house was a bit scary, but now theyve jsut ruinied it by putting little lights everywhere.

+Quote Post
mick70
post Jan 18 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 717

well said matt biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mick70
post Jan 18 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 717

what kind of a name is kondor laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dan
post Jan 18 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #19

Web Developer
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12

Hi Mick, welcome to ATA.

Just a few pointers for you... here on ATA we do not like members to post twice in a row or more, unless enough time has passed since the original post that the member cannot edit. You will find the button to the bottom-right of your posts.

You might want to familiarise yourself with the Posting Guidelines to make sure you know how we operate around here.

Other than that... again, welcome! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
John
post Jan 18 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (matt6580 @ Jan 18 2005, 10:10 PM)
the ride is a botched up job

well said. its an absolute mess. the guns dont work, the scorerss dont work, the stupid little lights you have to shoot are almost impossible to hit, and more to the point, its not even fun. quite frankly ive had more fun at a funeral.

To be fair to the park, there is a funeral during the ride...

+Quote Post

34 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2017 - 2:57 AM