Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haunted House
Alton Towers Almanac Forums > Alton Towers Through The Years > Alton Towers - Past
cosmosis
Who composed the haunted house and duel music ?
doom+sons1988
I know the guy who composed the Haunted House music went to become a film composer but I think it was ThemedMusic which composed Duel's soundtrack.
Alex M
Pretty sure it was Tussauds Studios. ThemedMusic haven't done any stuff for Tussauds since 2002.
Luke
That's correct Alex. ThemedMusic finished composing for Tussauds in 2002 - Ian, the main composer is now away in Asia i believe. The composer of Duel is Mr Buckley who also composed The Flume, Splash Landings & Gloomy Wood or 'Graveyard' as he calls it.

I'll try and find out Haunted House but i dunno why you want to know?
v.i.p
Wasn't it the guy that used to be in the fireplace?
doom+sons1988
Keith Sparkes was in the fireplace, he was the one that co-designed the ride with John Wardley.

By the way does Tussuads Studios have a website ?
EDAT
No
doom+sons1988
okay.
I'm just curious do you guys think the walkthrough section is less scarier now it's been revamped. Also why did they take the dragon out ?
PaulMorgster
Dragon? Did I miss something? tongue.gif
cosmosis
At the end on the train ride the dragon popped out at you.
PaulMorgster
Ah yeah I knew about that.
I thought u meant in the walkthrough bit, that got me a bit confused.
doom+sons1988
What I mean by "walkthrough section" is the part where you walkthrough the two rooms inside the house just before the ride's station.

I think it's been really tamed down because I can remember (Pre-2000, this is when I think the ride began it's downfall) the first two rooms being lit only by candles and all the effects worked. The hand in the jar moved, the girl in the doll's house sang, the black magic book's page turned on it's own, Keith Sparkes' head in the fireplace actually spoke and the evil portraits watched your every move.

It's not like that anymore, I think the videos ruin the atmosphere and the portraits are too silly making it seem quite dull.
jimbob
The Books page does still turn on its own and how do you know the girl still doesnt sing she probably does but you cant hear it over the instructions video, and if you think about she cant sing anymore cause theres the pre ride video blaring out.
haunted one
Instead of starting a new topic I thought I would reopen this, Who did actually create the music for the Haunted House?
Was it Tussauds Studios. ThemedMusic
or was it produced by some one else like Sparks?

Im sure it would be on the Haunted House and Toyland Tours CD soundtrack if anybodys got a copy.

If anybodys got one that they would like to sell, let me know. ph34r.gif
cosmosis
Ian Habgood (themed music) created the HH music, and Tussauds Studios created the Duel music. I'm not 100% sure though.
I think there is a site, Haunted One that has the HH and TT music on it, its not Rideas its a small personal site. I'll have a look for it .
Alex M
Ian Habgood (themed music) created the HH music, and Tussauds Studios created the Duel music. I'm not 100% sure though.

Nope.

I don't know who produced the Haunted House music but I doubt it was Ian. His first Tussauds commission was in 1999 and I have all the park music he produced. If its any help, I'm sure it was the same person who did the Toyland Tours and Towers Street tracks as they came out at around the same time and sound quite similar.

David Buckley produced the Duel music. I'm not sure how much music the Studios create themselves. From what I gather, they usually get an outside company to do the major projects. Though I do think they've created some tracks, like the original Colossus station music and Rumba Rapids at Thorpe (might be wrong).
cosmosis
Cheers Alex, On ATA database they said Ian did the HH music, but I'll try and find out who composed it.
I have a list somewhere of the Music tussauds have done, I'll pin it up when I find it.
Luke
As Alex said, David Buckley composed and produced the Duel music, and he is currently working on some new music for Alton Towers.

Tussauds Studios do not create music for Alton Towers. They pay for other people and companies to do it such as Themedmusic and David Buckley. However, they do edit them slightly by adding sound effects to the tracks.

Towers Street is just a compilation of well known rhymes and classical music such as 'In The Hall Of The Mountain King' and 'Over the Hills and Far Away'. However, all of it excluding the theme tune was produced by a company that did a lot of music for Alton Towers. Tussauds Studios merely edited it by linking the tracks together.

I would guess that the company that produced the Towers Street music, produced the Haunted House music and possibly Toyland Tours, what this company is called and whether it still exists or not I do not know.
EDAT
The composer that created all the music around that time: Nemesis, Haunted House, Toyland Tours and Towers Street. Is a person called Graham Smart, it was all composed by the same person.

EDIT:
and he also composed music for Peter Rabbit on Ice, which was later turned into the Towers Street music, along with the Haunted House theme and the main Alton Towers theme.
haunted one
Thanks everyone for all the effort.

The composer that created all the music around that time: Nemesis, Haunted House, Toyland Tours and Towers Street. Is a person called Graham Smart, it was all composed by the same person.

Does this person have a Website?
EDAT
No
cosmosis
QUOTE (cosmosis @ Jul 25 2005, 11:44 AM)
I think there is a site, Haunted One that has the HH and TT music on it, its not Rideas its a small personal site. I'll have a look for it .

Don't know why I just answered my own Question?
I'm on a role these days huh.gif

I should really start to read the posts wacko.gif
NemesisX
I used to hear that spooky GWood Theme it freaked me ou that did but now its duel I seem to like it and the ride music, but what does Haunted Hollow's music sounds like now thats added to that area?

huh.gif
sirius
I can't find any information on Graham Smart but I found a little website for David Buckley and on his credits page it says that he composed music for 'Duel', 'Splash Landings' and 'Log Flume'.
Click here to see that page. It's at the very bottom of the page.

I'm going to keep searching on Grahman Smart...btw does anyone know the name of the person who did the original voice over work on the Nemesis story? I think I did once see his name somewhere but I can't remember where I read it or what it was.
Luke
That was Tom Baker. smile.gif He also did a bit of work for halloween in 2003, with the Terror of the Towers Bloodfest Banquet dining room spiel.

There isn't anything on Graham Smart on the internet, so you'd just be wasting your time.
sirius
Indeed I was! But I emailed David Buckley and he replied to me like...instantly. He seems a nice guy and say's he doesn't do anything for the Tussauds Studios anymore. Take that as you will blush.gif
cosmosis
Hi Sirius, Im doing the exact same thing as you! Can't get hold of him anywhere. I've emailed Bernie Whates whos the Audio/Visual manager of the park, but im still awaiting a reply.
sirius
I spoke to Bernie a canny few years back when I was constantly harping at them to send me the Hex theme, which he did on a CD lol. He called me "Mr Unhappy" cuz of how much I'd said it was rude to be ignored...got results though tongue.gif I remember, he told me that he composed the theme for hex, and then later I asked Lucy Douglas who was a projects manager at Tusssauds Studios (dunno if she still is) and she said it wasnt composed by one person...but by a team of people. Seemed strange to me. I still have all my emails with Lucy somewhere she told me that Hex was pretty much a full "in house" project with everything being done by the Studios themsevles. It's one of my favourite rides in the whole place. Wonderful themeing cool.gif its my favourite of any music from Alton Towers.
cosmosis
I heard it was Crispin Merrel, perhaps Bernie Wrote and Crispin Orchestrated, or the other way around?
sirius
Sounds likley. Let me know what you hear back from Bernie Whates.
Luke
Poor Bernie Whates getting all this harrassment off enthusiasts for CD's. Still, suppose he deserves it after the recent music changes.
NemesisX
How did you get that Duel icon?
Jambala
I know this one!

The original Haunted House (and Toyland Tours) music was written by "G. Smart". It was produced by Beulah Studios. Their address is (or was) 90 Beulah Road, Rhiwbina, Cardiff CF4 6LZ.

The graveyard track on the CD is the best one. :-)

Cheers,

- J
cosmosis
Wow thanks Jamabala, thats fantasitc info!

I think that however he's moved on from there since now sad.gif
NemesisX

I think it was DB (David Buckley) who did the soundtracks I was on his site and he did the theme tune to Duel, but to be honest I think he might of done to the theme to the Haunted House...

anyone remember the giant effect it used to scare you when it watched you with its big eye as you passed.
Nexus
If it helps I have the complete HH Soundtrack on MP3, contact me via PM for more info.
Katdragon
Hi people, I know Graham Smart and he moved from Cardiff over 12 years ago and is now living in West Wales. The music he wrote for the Tussauds Group was: Chessington World of Adventures - "Professor Burps Bubble Works" the "Vampire" ride, the "Black Forest Chateau" and "Torror Tomb".

At Alton Towers there was "Toyland Tours", "The Haunted House", "Nemises", "The Black Hole", "Peter Rabbit & Friends on Ice" (2 different shows) and the "Tower Street" music....(I think thats all!!!).

The voice on Nemesis was Tom Baker and virtually all of the music was recorded and produced at Graham's studio (ok garage!!) in Cardiff with the exception of Terror Tomb which was recorded at Loco Studios in Gwent, South Wales. The organ sounds used in the Vampire ride and the Black Forest Chateau were sampled by Graham and Nick Smith (from Loco Studios) from a church organ in a disused church in Hammersmith (I think).

Apart from the guitars on Terror Tomb (Hywel Maggs), and the voice (Neil Lockwood) all instrumentation/performances were by Graham.

Hope this info is of interest. If you want any more info, just ask me!!
rolleyes.gif

cosmosis
This is not fair! I spent over a year trying to track down Graham and just weeks after I find him someone knows him! tongue.gif

He's a very nice guy and very talented! Shame he doesn't compose anymore!

Do you know what he does now KatDragon?
Katdragon
Hi Cosmosis

Yes he is nice and it is a shame he doesn't compose now as he was so original, still is as a person.

At the moment he is setting up a website to sell custom designed t-shirts (and I'm trying to persuade him to put a music download page aswell) - do you think people would be interested?

I also know that he is on the look out for people to come up with cool designs - so if anyone out there wants to get involved just post your info on here and I'll tell him about it! and you'll get to work with Graham.

Katdragon
cosmosis
Sounds interesting! I'm actually looking for a Custom T Shirt company to make some Raef (from the apprentice) Tees for Leeds Fest 09 from some designs we have. Yes thats right, we are sad enough to name our camp after the great raef from the apprentice! tongue.gif

Katdragon, I noticed you didn't mention Katanga Canyon, I always assumed that Graham had done that piece too.

oh and 100% yes to the music download page!
NemesisX
You can hear the Haunted House's Playroom theme played inside the Alton Towers Hotel lifts.
Thats a good thing right?
Katdragon
QUOTE (cosmosis @ Apr 9 2009, 6:40 PM) *
Sounds interesting! I'm actually looking for a Custom T Shirt company to make some Raef (from the apprentice) Tees for Leeds Fest 09 from some designs we have. Yes thats right, we are sad enough to name our camp after the great raef from the apprentice! tongue.gif

Katdragon, I noticed you didn't mention Katanga Canyon, I always assumed that Graham had done that piece too.

oh and 100% yes to the music download page!

Hi Cosmosis

Sorry about the delay in replying. The t-shirt site won't be ready for another month or so, not sure when you need the shirts by.

I asked Graham about Katanga Canyon and no he didn't compose it and he doesn't know who did, sorry! I also told him about your enthusiasm for the download page!! He is doing some composing work at the moment for personalised cards for the new website, singing cards that kind of thing so maybe he will get back to it on a bigger scale one day! I know its not quite in the same league as the parks!!

Best Wishes
Katdragon
NemesisX
Graham Smart composed the original Haunted House tracks.
NemesisX
i think it was david buckley who created the tracks for the new gloomy wood and duel.
grahamsmart
QUOTE (haunted one @ Jul 25 2005, 7:39 AM) *
Instead of starting a new topic I thought I would reopen this, Who did actually create the music for the Haunted House?
Was it Tussauds Studios. ThemedMusic
or was it produced by some one else like Sparks?

Im sure it would be on the Haunted House and Toyland Tours CD soundtrack if anybodys got a copy.

If anybodys got one that they would like to sell, let me know. ph34r.gif

Hi I just found this discussion!

Just a quick note to clarify, I composed produced and performed the music for the Haunted House at Alton Towers - that was a long time ago!

I think it was my second commission there, after doing the Vampire and Bubbleworks rides at Chessington World of Adventures.

and by the way, it's really nice that people still remember and comment on it.

Graham Smart
NemesisX
Hey Graham did you compose any ride soundtracks to the Wicked Witches Haunt ride at Thorpe Park by any chance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.